Join Early Retirement Today

#*&^#$ing tech support, aided by the feds
Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

#*&^#$ing tech support, aided by the feds

So the feds forced the voice over IP (voip) telephone providers to support E911 service as of about a month ago, which is fine except that my provider already did. Everyone however has to put you through a song and dance when you unplug the telephone "box" from the power or the network - the next time you go to make a call it has to ask you to confirm that you havent moved the box from the official 911 service location they have on file.

The last few weeks, the phone has just rung once, sporadically, about once a day. Today at 6am while we were asleep. On calling Callvantage, the guy tells me that the problem is because I have the box plugged into a power strip. After I explain how ridiculous things designed to send the customer off to try useless troubleshooting tricks doesnt make me a happy guy, he says the router says that .7% of my packets were lost or discarded, so my ISP isnt working right.

Sigh.

So although I know there are no problems and .7% is a trivial number, I go 2 hours with comcast, tear my network apart...everything is just fine.

Later I find some posts that this is a well known problem with my VOIP provider that they created when they changed the boxes firmware to conform to the fairly useless requirement mentioned above. A month ago.

Either they didnt trickle it down to the first level support or they decided to keep it a secret in hopes they can fix it before a bunch of customers change providers or ask them to replace the telephone adapters...

Watch out for those powerstrips...thems bad news.

Actually my phone stuff is hooked to a fairly spendy uninterruptable power supply, but this guy couldnt quite grok what that was, so it "became" a power strip.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!