Join Early Retirement Today

Re: And the neocons say...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And the neocons say...

Do do do do do
Do do do
Do do do do do
Do do do

(With sincerest apologies to Lou Reed...)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
The F-106 was an outdated jet when Bush flew it. It was strictly for continental defense. Unlike his dad, who saw action, Bush flew exactly -0- combat missions.

Using college deferment wasn't dodging the draft either. It was a legal means to delay service.

If Clinton dodged the draft, so did Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield.
1. Bush Flew an F-102 which was a primary frontline combat aircraft at the time

2. He was in the service for 5 years

3. Junior officers generally don't get to choose whether to go into combat or not.

4. Flying fighters isn't a safe assignment whether you were stationed in Thailand (for Viet Nam missions) or Texas.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
And the neocons say...

Do do do do do
Do do do
Do do do do do
Do do do

(With sincerest apologies to Lou Reed...)
George Bush is just speeding away
Thought he was President for a day
Then I guess he had to crash
Fiscal responsibility woulda helped that bash
Said, hey babe
Take a walk on the neocon side
I said hey honey
Take a walk on the liberal side
and the Senate says
doo do doo do doo do do doo

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

3. Junior officers generally don't get to choose whether to go into combat or not.

4. Flying fighters isn't a safe assignment whether you were stationed in Thailand (for Viet Nam missions) or Texas.

on the other hand, if you don't report for your physical, you take care of both 3 and 4 just like that....
Old 11-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
. . . He completed pilot training and flew hundreds of missions in the F-106 (an airplane that was not an easy jet to fly) . . .
I stand corrected by Saluki--he flew F-102s, not F-106s. Same mission, same basic design, same manufacturer. Delta Dagger (F-102), not Delta Dart (F-106).

Oh, and F-102s did participate in combat missions in Vietnam. They were definitely not well suited for that conflict, but we pressed a lot of aircraft into service there in unusual roles.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
George Bush is just speeding away
Thought he was President for a day
Then I guess he had to crash
Fiscal responsibility woulda helped that bash
Said, hey babe
Take a walk on the neocon side
I said hey honey
Take a walk on the liberal side
and the Senate says
doo do doo do doo do do doo
ROTFLMAO!! Now if we could get THAT piped into the Senate Chambers...........

I may be a conservative, but I find that funny..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #47

Does anyone doubt that Bush pere could've gotten his son out of trouble combat just like he got him set up with investors for his businesses and into the special Guard unit? It seems possible that pere's entourage advised the change-unit and skip-your-physical maneuvers for that purpose, although I believe those were more likely helpful coincidences.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Does anyone doubt that Bush pere could've gotten his son out of trouble combat just like he got him set up with investors for his businesses and into the special Guard unit? It seems possible that pere's entourage advised the change-unit and skip-your-physical maneuvers for that purpose, although I believe those were more likely helpful coincidences.
What's the point astro? Bush served in the Guard, trained as a pilot but did not serve in combat.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #49

"He mighta-coulda seen combat" sounds weak to me since he essentially dropped out. Water under the bridge, however, as I imagine he'll be clearing brush, riding his bike, entertaining his base, and serving on corporate boards in a few years. Pretty good retirement
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"He mighta-coulda seen combat" sounds weak to me since he essentially dropped out. Water under the bridge, however, as I imagine he'll be clearing brush, riding his bike, entertaining his base, and serving on corporate boards in a few years. Pretty good retirement
Well, at least he served...........unlike some other folks in the White House...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"He mighta-coulda seen combat" sounds weak to me since he essentially dropped out.
I don't understand why so many people are so intent on delving into Bush's military record. That's not the issue behind Iraq. We've even had prominant media personalities get canned over false documents regarding this!

He served in the Guard and saw no combat. Period. No president has seen combat duty since WW2! Clinton didn't serve at all. Carter served but saw no combat. The rest WW2 or earlier.

When you say "sounds weak to me," where are you going with that? Are you looking for another WW2 so that high percentages of our citizens see combat duty? Sicko astro. Sheeesh.........

Look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...litary_service
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #52

I find it amazing that the same people that slam GB-II for him "only" being a pilot in the National Guard (and presumably not killed in Nam like they would have preferred) and find weak "facts" to back them up can turn right around and honor BC for his non-service and draft "protesting." I guess "your guy" is always honorable and righteous.

These guys are both ancient history as far as 2008 presidential candidates go. Of course, the dems don't see a problem with Hillary's husband getting her the NY senate slot for an obvious run at the presidency. They are too busy yelling about GB-I getting his son special "favors."

I'd comment on the collection of other potential candidates but it isn't worth it at this point. I believe the final nominees are not nationwide household names yet. Former senators have also generally not been our better presidents. I realize the dems will bring up St. John K but he wasn't president long enough for an honest evaluation. His VP (Johnson) was probably one of the better ones but that will probably start an unintended firestorm. Senators have a bad record at getting elected so that's something to think about.