Join Early Retirement Today

And you were worried about hotel bedbugs...
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

And you were worried about hotel bedbugs...

Poisonous snake bites man strolling by Orlando JW Marriott pool

Quote:
...the man was bitten on his left ankle by a cottonmouth water moccasin at about 5 p.m. Monday at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes resort in south Orange County.

...The man - Eric Geisman, 45, of Rhode Island - was in the intensive-care unit at a local hospital...

...In April, a harmless-but-long python snake surprised a guest when the guest found it slithering inside a Hampton Inn hotel guestroom toilet bowl.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just hate it when that happens !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Bring on the bedbugs!
afntrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's it...I'm never leaving my house again...
Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
That's it...I'm never leaving my house again...
We've had a couple of snakes find their way inside our house over the years. None venomous thank goodness. One was killed by our cats. The other one was alive and well inside our pantry.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
We've had a couple of snakes find their way inside our house over the years. None venomous thank goodness. One was killed by our cats. The other one was alive and well inside our pantry.
Hmmm...I'm glad the snake in the pantry was alive and well....

...mmm...note to self...beware of FD's pantry....

Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't some snakes eat bedbugs?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Wow. It took almost 24 hours to get the antivenom? That's the really scary thing here. I wonder how much worse it became and how much longer his recovery will be because of it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Wow. It took almost 24 hours to get the antivenom? That's the really scary thing here. I wonder how much worse it became and how much longer his recovery will be because of it.
Maybe they had to wait until his vital signs improved enough to try it?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Maybe they had to wait until his vital signs improved enough to try it?
My understanding is that antivenom is in very short supply almost everywhere.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I didn't even think they bothered with antivenom for water moccasins. I thought they just gave heavy antibiotics to fight the bacteria from the bite.

Audrey
Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

No snakes another great thing about living in Hawaii.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I once found a frog in the toilet bowl - does that count as a bug experience? Good thing I noticed it before I pee on it. Otherwise, I can't imagine what would happen.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I once found a frog in the toilet bowl - does that count as a bug experience? Good thing I noticed it before I pee on it. Otherwise, I can't imagine what would happen.
It just would have been paybacks. Every time I take DGD frog hunting at least one of the frogs pees on me.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Of all the wandering through woods and fields I've done in my life, I was bitten by a snake on the sidewalk outside my apartment. Luckily, just a scared, non-venomous variety...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have what we think is a three foot long black snake (spotted briefly only once, but has left many shed skins) living in our basement. It eats the mice that mysteriously manage to get in the house. We like it except for the poops.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Reference the antivenom. Most places don't have it and most people are allergic to it, is what we were told when my dad was bit by a timber rattlesnake. The local hospital called Arizona or someplace like that to find out info on treating him, as they are so rare here. Dad actually lost consciousness in the ER, when his blood pressure just dropped to nothing from the venom getting to his heart (I guess).

He was just monitored overnight in the hospital and (oh I never get to use these great southern expressions) ah sware was swole up lak a great big watahmellon on his whole left side!

The swelling was amazing--from the bite on his hand he swelled all the way to his chest, looked like a "C" cup on one side. He's now a safety conscious freak about woodpiles and anywhere snakes might be.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Reference the antivenom. Most places don't have it and most people are allergic to it, is what we were told when my dad was bit by a timber rattlesnake. The local hospital called Arizona or someplace like that to find out info on treating him, as they are so rare here. Dad actually lost consciousness in the ER, when his blood pressure just dropped to nothing from the venom getting to his heart (I guess).

He was just monitored overnight in the hospital and (oh I never get to use these great southern expressions) ah sware was swole up lak a great big watahmellon on his whole left side!

The swelling was amazing--from the bite on his hand he swelled all the way to his chest, looked like a "C" cup on one side. He's now a safety conscious freak about woodpiles and anywhere snakes might be.
Wow. Glad he is OK. There are plenty poisonous snakes in your state. I had a high school buddy who instead of going to college started business catching snakes on hunting leases. I believe he got paid by selling venom to the anti-venom manufacturers, and also got paid by the hunt clubs he contracted with. He got bit several times, said they all do.

Ha
Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Yikes--what a job, Ha! Yeah, we have plenty of snake, but bites are somewhat rare in the Lowcountry, I don't know why.

DH shot and killed a great big rattler in our front yard earlier this year and in time-honored country people tradition, we had to put the dead snake in the back of the truck, drive it over to my Dad's house to show him, then he had to put it in his truck and drive it to work (he teaches horticulture) so he could show it off there. A guy he teaches with took it and made a belt, I think.

I have never met anyone who simply shot a snake and left it or buried it. These thing require some minimum manly showing-off time. This may have worn off finally for your high school buddy, though!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Wow. Glad he is OK. There are plenty poisonous snakes in your state. I had a high school buddy who instead of going to college started business catching snakes on hunting leases. I believe he got paid by selling venom to the anti-venom manufacturers, and also got paid by the hunt clubs he contracted with. He got bit several times, said they all do.

Ha
The girl I went to the senior prom with had moved east from the California desert. Her summer job the year before was catching rattlers for the snake milkers.