Andrew Luck just FIRE’d

Much better...thank you.

I was impressed by Jacoby Brissett while he was in New England and hope he does well for the Colts.... except when they play the Patriots.

Funny you should mention.... I listened to a long discussion on the radio two days ago about Brissett being capable of being a starter. He did get his start under Belichik after all.

Not surprised Luck retired, given what he's been through on a team run by one of the two worst owners in the NFL. Yes, a shame, though; had he been given enough good players - and a decent OL to start with - he would have been a shoo-in for Hall of Fame status. A truly gifted young QB, one of the best I've seen in 55 yrs of watching the NFL.

Looking at this list from the WSJ, little wonder why he decided enough was enough, and coming back from the pain time and time again was taking the joy out of the sport he loved:

".....Like so many who play it, Luck—one of the game’s best quarterbacks—had given football a good deal of his physical well-being. According to The Athletic’s Colts reporter Zak Keefer, Luck, over the six seasons of his pro career, had suffered “torn cartilage in two ribs, a partially torn abdomen, a lacerated kidney, at least one concussion, a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder,” and most recently, a calf and ankle injury, which had kept him out of the team’s preseason action. "

He's made about $100M in his career so far but yes, I'd agree 'enough is enough'.

San Francisco Niner fans were furious when coach Bill Walsh traded Joe Montana to KC in 1993 - because he couldn't convince Joe to retire.

Years later, Montana admitted in an interview, "I stayed in football too long. All those injuries add up, and every day my body complains. I can't even run and play catch with my kids."

Last edited:
Peanuts to Irsay. 2017 Valuation of Indianapolis Colts was $2.375 BILLION according to Forbes!

Although gave up a lot in future earnings the Colts aren’t going to go for his signing bonus money. $24.8 million is a lot to decide to not recoup.

Sounds like part of the reason is they want to stay in good standing with Luck in case he gets back to full health in a year or so and has a change of heart about playing.

Sounds like part of the reason is they want to stay in good standing with Luck in case he gets back to full health in a year or so and has a change of heart about playing.

I just hope that Luck doesn't do the Favre thing.

Something said about calling it quits then riding off in the sunset :).

Maybe he'll join us here!
Q: "Hi, I'm 29 and was recently forced to retire due to health issues. I have about $60M in mostly taxable accounts in a 60/40 ratio. Expenses are a bit high due to living a somewhat expensive lifestyle, but still much more conservative than most in my field, so I think we can ratchet it back a bit, if necessary.

Am I good to go?"

A: "Welcome to the forum! Did you put your numbers in Firecalc? Don't forget taxes and health insurance as part of your expenses."

:)

Q: "Hi, I'm 29 and was recently forced to retire due to health issues. I have about $60M in mostly taxable accounts in a 60/40 ratio. Expenses are a bit high due to living a somewhat expensive lifestyle, but still much more conservative than most in my field, so I think we can ratchet it back a bit, if necessary.

Am I good to go?"

A: "Welcome to the forum! Did you put your numbers in Firecalc? Don't forget taxes and health insurance as part of your expenses."

Very nice, plus can you manage your MAGI for ACA subsidies for the next 36 years?

Am I good to go?"

Luck may be a bit of a LBYM'r. At least up until recently, he reportedly still used a flip phone.

Starting quaterback in the NFL is not a job where you generally give 2 weeks notice. He should have let the team know he was retiring before training camp started. Otherwise he should honor his contract and play. OTOH, he is stuggling with injuries and should be set for life financially so why keep hurting yourself.

The NFL is a league that will cut you and your salary on a moments notice. That is why players get the bonus money up front

seems a bit of turn about here

sort of like if you owe the bank $100k they own you
f you owe the bank $100B you own them

Was listening to a baseball game yesterday. I know, different sport, but the announcers brought up Andrew Luck's sudden retirement and compared the news to when Sandy Koufax suddenly called it quits from the Dodgers. IMO, a very valid comparison.

well if he doesn't FIRE he can probably get a j*b in the broadcast booth

Should say Andrew Luck just Fired.

Thanks!

If by FIREd you mean "was forced to retire from a sport he loves due to unrelenting pain", then I guess that will do.

While Luck was never able to beat my favorite team for his entire career, I always feel bad when good guys are forced to retire. I wish him well in whatever he does going forward.

Last edited:
Although gave up a lot in future earnings the Colts aren’t going to go for his signing bonus money. $24.8 million is a lot to decide to not recoup.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

A talking head just said one reason they may not have gone after it is to serve as a goodwill gesture. Hoping Luck may change his mind in a year after his body has had a chance to fully heal. Who knows.....possible I guess, but Luck seems to be the type that is smart and probably has other avenues he would enjoy exploring.

well if he doesn't FIRE he can probably get a j*b in the broadcast booth

.....and/or doing the rubber chicken circuit as a guest speaker for corporate America.

I imagine he could also lend his name to an elite QB camp for young athletes.

Yep, the question is what is his next job, commentator, coach, corporate speaker, ?

Shame on those Colts' fans who booed Luck's decision to walk away from the game.

Those fans s#ck.

Sad that so many think of athletes as trained animals in hometown jerseys rather than as hard workers who happen to have chosen sports for a profession and who put their body on the line each season.

They should have applauded for him giving their team years of relevance.

Makes me wonder about Tiger. So many back surgeries and it appears he still suffers pain. He's said many times he loves the competition. But after all he's been through, the motivation must not be as strong. But one more victory to tie the all-time win record. Perhaps that's what keeps him going.

60/40 with a 3.5%SWR on $50MM. If he's a flip-phone kind of guy, I think Andrew will manage.

Shame on those Colts' fans who booed Luck's decision to walk away from the game. I wonder how many of those same fans have been hit by a 300lb. defensive lineman?

This reminds me of the scenes showing the Gladiators vs Christians and waiting for the crowd to give a "thumbs up or down". Neanderthal mentality seems to have taken over society.

Makes me wonder about Tiger. So many back surgeries and it appears he still suffers pain. He's said many times he loves the competition. But after all he's been through, the motivation must not be as strong. But one more victory to tie the all-time win record. Perhaps that's what keeps him going.

It's easier for me to understand Tiger continuing to play than Luck...Tiger's not going to get hit by a 300 pound lineman running at full speed. And he can pick and choose when he wants to play because he's not leaving the team stranded.

Back
Top Bottom