Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Animal Slaughter in Ohio
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Animal Slaughter in Ohio

I am just sick over what happened to those poor animals in Zanesville,Ohio. Maybe they are better off dead instead of being under the "care" of that goofball. What a story and what a destruction of those beautiful animals. I understand that the authorities had no choice but to shoot them giving the timing. I'll bet the govenor of Ohio is really glad he recinded the law just passed by the previous govenor, that would have prevented private owning of those type animals.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree- very sad, especially the tigers which are so endangered.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

This is unbelieveably tragic. Those animals are majestic, but definitely do not belong in private, unregulated "zoos." It is just fortunate that no people were harmed in this disaster, but horrible that the local authorities really had no other option but shooting to kill.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree. Why weren't tranquilizer guns used instead. You could have a second shooter stand by in case you missed. Just don't get it.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I doubt the police that responded to the 911 calls have tranquilizer guns
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Jack Hanna, the famous President Emeritus of the zoo there, confirmed that tranquilizers couldn't be used at night, because of the unpredictable nature of the animals after being shot with them. He concluded, regretfully, that there were no other options for the officers involved. Very sad story and the blame falls squarely on the now-deceased owner of this private zoo. Let's hope this incident will bolster states to more tightly regulate these questionable amateur zoo owners.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am saddened by the loss of the animals, but imagine being in that area with those kind and number of wild animals (carnivores) roaming freely in the darkness, on the hunt. Shudder.

This article may illuminate the story a bit better.

All Animals Accounted For In Zanesville, OH; Big Cat Ate A Monkey | wusa9.com
Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The person who let them loose was a private party who owned the 'zoo'. He committed suicide after doing that.

The fact that the animals were on the loose was discovered a couple hours before nightfall, they couldn't track them. Local police do not have tranquilizer guns or the ability to know how to sedate these animals. This just isn't something that can be done quickly. Assuming you manage to sedate the animal then you need to put them into some sort of cage so that they can be revived safely (for the animal and the humans). This was not just one large preditator but dozens. I don't think they had choices.

Shame on the state that had laws which permitted this condition to develop.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed. If 2 lions had got out you might have had sedation as an option. They could have followed/tracked them and waited on authorities (trained zoo people). In this case there were over 35 lions and tigers alone running all over the place with only a handful of sheriff's deputies on site. All they saw were the animals running away and in danger of getting into some sub divisions nearby.

The only villian here is the guy who let all the animals out and killed himself.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Jack Hanna, the famous President Emeritus of the zoo there, confirmed that tranquilizers couldn't be used at night, because of the unpredictable nature of the animals after being shot with them. He concluded, regretfully, that there were no other options for the officers involved. Very sad story and the blame falls squarely on the now-deceased owner of this private zoo. Let's hope this incident will bolster states to more tightly regulate these questionable amateur zoo owners.

I saw a longer interview with him (I think CNN).... he said that they only had 4 tranq guns... and that in one instance the animal was shot with a tranq, but then lunged or ran at the vet who shot it.... he said it would take 6 minutes before the tranq even started to work... IOW, this animal was killed because it was attacking a person..

He also said that law enforcement is not trained to handle tigers and bears etc... that when confronted with an animal, the only response was to kill it...

This is my opinion from what he said as I did not hear it said directly, but basically they could not wait until the next day to try and save some of these animals because there was to much danger to human life... IOW, if they did not get them as fast as they could and a person was killed by one of them, it would have been worse...

I just remembered when typing... he also said they found part of a monkey... which was also released... it seems that one of the animal had killed and eaten him... so it was a safety issue....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Glad no humans were hurt.

For those second guessing the decision to use lethal force, imagine a news story that read "Police Captain under fire after 7 viciously maimed and killed by roving bands of deadly animals. After unsuccessfully attempting to use less than lethal tranquilizer guns to contain the animals, the embattled police captain authorized lethal force, but not before seven innocent children and women were ripped apart."
Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #12

They were hampered by the fact that very little daylight remained following the release.
I wouldn't try to Monday morning quarterback, but one question I'd be curious about, would be the planning or lack thereof for such an event.
Anytime you have an element present that could lead to a catastrophy (nuke plant, dam, airport with flightpath proximity to large numbers of houses, wild animal park, etc) a contingency plan is necessary, because sooner or later it will be needed.
I wonder what their's was, because they clearly had concerns about it for quite some time
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO
Glad no humans were hurt.

For those second guessing the decision to use lethal force, imagine a news story that read "Police Captain under fire after 7 viciously maimed and killed by roving bands of deadly animals. After unsuccessfully attempting to use less than lethal tranquilizer guns to contain the animals, the embattled police captain authorized lethal force, but not before seven innocent children and women were ripped apart."
Don't think for a moment your above comment wouldn't have been the opening paragraph in the newspaper if that had happened! Could you imagine walking outside to get your morning newspaper on the driveway and having 3 lions encircling you in your subdivision? I think I would be dead from a heart attack before they touched me.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
They don't.

The only time I ever fired a weapon outside the practice range in 29 years of police work was for a black bear in a suburban area. It made the front page above the fold of the local paper for three days running with all the animal lovers bemoaning the action.

We did try to get a tranquilizer gun but that's kinda hard to do on short notice at 9:00 AM Sunday morning. A wild black bear (or any bear) is not Gentle Ben, which is what all the suburbanites seemed to think, since the idiots gawkers kept coming out in pajamas (with their kids no less!) to take pictures. So with the approval of the state Natural Resources officer I shot it. No apologies.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #15

I haven't heard any reports yet as to what might have prompted this guy to let the animals go and then kill himself. There was something about him recently being released from federal prison. He was in on a weapons charge of some kind. I'm guessing that he and his wife had split up and you know how stuff like that can cause problems. No telling what the motive was in the suicide. I'll bet that govener will get an earfull from the people in Ohio and the press will be on him flies on stink.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
EVERY gun is a tranquilizer gun.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
EVERY gun is a tranquilizer gun.
For clarity, perhaps they should have stated they don't have tranquilizer ammo?? (or whatever you call the flying projectiles full of drugs that sedate the animals long enough to capture them, transport them safely before they "wake" back up).

Guess I'm a little confused about your comment.
TN_INVEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Dead people (or animals) are very tranquil.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_INVEST View Post
For clarity, perhaps they should have stated they don't have tranquilizer ammo?? (or whatever you call the flying projectiles full of drugs that sedate the animals long enough to capture them, transport them safely before they "wake" back up).

Guess I'm a little confused about your comment.
Sorry, I was just observing that the use of a firearm in these instances results in the animal become tranquil. Permanently.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I too hear Jack Hanna's interview. Another issue is that they would have had no facility able to care for these creatures on short notice. He wants the states to halt auctions of these species immediately.