Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The do look cute, don't they?

What you aren't seeing are the tusks in their jaws (taxidermy photos below). They used these to rip and tear the underbelly of my poor dog - the vet counted 11 puncture wounds, some three inches across.
Yikes!! Their cute appearances are very deceiving, it appears!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Who's the other guy?
Jack Elam.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Were they tasty?
Too gamy for my tastes. I prefer Hormel bacon.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like the high heels on the rear legs.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The remaining two came back a few weeks later and tried it again, but this time I was ready for them with a 12-gauge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But they're so cute! Just look at Westernskies' photo, and ask yourself, "Could I shoot this sweet little creature dead?" He looks adorable, like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Looking at that photo, it's impossible to imagine one attacking a dog. I could imagine a toddler hugging it in the parlor.
Quote:
They do look cute, don't they?
"Javelina: it's what's for dinner."

Maybe the gamy part wouldn't matter to your dogs' palates... I wonder if they'd learn to associate the smell in their dinner dish with the smell of the critters messing with the vegetation out there in the yard?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #186
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

3 coyotes walking on my steet last week and now Javelinas? Forgedaboutit...it's scary.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #187

My neighbor's kitty has learnt that I am a secondary source of food and shelter. This particular day, she had decided to help me with some production work:

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #188

We've had a moose wander through town, looked like an episode of Northern Exposure. A few years ago a black bear came through following the river, he went through my back yard.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My neighbor's kitty has learnt that I am a secondary source of food and shelter. This particular day, she had decided to help me with some production work:

Dayam smart cat that one.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #190

Here's my boy, Toby, out on our pontoon boat last summer. Isn't he a handsome dude? We got him at the animal shelter about 2 1/2 years ago now. He appears to be a purebred yellow lab.....not sure why he was there, but we're glad we found him. I have "trained" him to expect a long walk every morning, so now we have to go daily, regardless of weather or anything else. So, he's my fitness trainer in retirement, and he's doing a good job, ha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toby_pontoon.jpg (31.4 KB, 5 views)
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Here's my boy, Toby, out on our pontoon boat last summer. Isn't he a handsome dude? We got him at the animal shelter about 2 1/2 years ago now. He appears to be a purebred yellow lab.....not sure why he was there, but we're glad we found him. I have "trained" him to expect a long walk every morning, so now we have to go daily, regardless of weather or anything else. So, he's my fitness trainer in retirement, and he's doing a good job, ha
He's a beautiful boy. I love hearing stories about good adoptions from the local animal shelter. Many who end up at shelters are good pets and were given up because their humans could not care for them any more - particulary these days with so many people facing financial problems.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

Our 2 children

benny lucy.jpg
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Caught this guy eating my landscaping yesterday AM...
Did a bunch of tree work on a mesquite down south and bought a clay chiminea at a yard sale. Rigged a coat hanger to dangle a line of pork shoulder chunks down in the throat of the chiminea. Built a smoky fire with green mesquite - outstanding! 'Bout the best pork I've ever had. Might let Mr. Javelina know he could be what's for dinner...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
Beautiful! They remind me of my two current foster kitties. They clown around like that too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foster 1.JPG (1.02 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Foster 2.JPG (1.09 MB, 7 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Purr--I have one of each of those! My calico is a crazy thing and my orange tabby is the old man of the crowd. Very cute!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Purr--I have one of each of those! My calico is a crazy thing and my orange tabby is the old man of the crowd. Very cute!
Over the years I've learned calicos are almost always crazy little things and orange tabby boys are amost always sweet old souls. I love 'em all
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

This would be funny if it wasn't so spot on true.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
This would be funny if it wasn't so spot on true.

Sad but true, I see so many of those excuses on Craigslist.

Now I would be interested in the unicorn that sh*** gold bricks.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Really need help. MUST GO!!!

Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for a dog, we have been notified by breed rescue that, at long last, our number has come up and ... WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!
We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children up for adoption this weekend!
They are described as:
One male -- his name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.
One female -- her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and can be affectionate. Gets along well with other
little girls and little boys but does not like to share her toys and
therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training. Shouldn't take long at all.
We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them. That is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.
I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Here's the cat version. If I had a dollar for every time these same lame excuses have been given, I could have ERed many years earlier - or never had to work in the first place. Especially the one that goes "it's not my cat, it's a stray....that I've had for 2 years since it was a kitten."