Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Finally sneaked up on our bunny for some fresh shots. He doesn't like things pointed at him, especially redeye-reduction flash. OTOH it's hard to believe that he's over nine years old.

Mellow bunny: rear legs splayed out behind/beside, front paws visible and not tucked in, ears stowed instead of rotating/radiating. I'm still not fast enough on the shot to catch him stretching & yawning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Just waking up.JPG (427.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg I'm awake now.JPG (401.3 KB, 14 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords, do you let Mr. or Ms. Bunny just wander around the house? Or does he/she live in a cage in the house?

I had a neighbor who had a bunny. If they didn't serve him really cold and crispy lettuce, he literally spit it out waaaaay across the room. It was always good for a laugh to try and feed him wilted lettuce. He was a character for sure.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not perfect photo but here they are.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #44

Sorry but cat won't sit still for photo!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #45

Apparently I screwed up.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Nords, do you let Mr. or Ms. Bunny just wander around the house? Or does he/she live in a cage in the house?
"Peter Cottontail" (hey, our kid was only eight years old when she named him) is a four-pound dwarf orange rex, about 18" long. We got him from the Hawaii Humane Society, who found him roaming the streets of Waimanalo. He's not very well socialized (probably raised in a hutch without a lot of human/bunny contact) but he responds very well to spouse and was perhaps raised by a woman. We think he was an Easter bunny in 2001 because he was just shy of full growth when we got him in January 2002. Wild bunnies have lifespans of 4-6 years (predators), most captive caged bunnies go 8-10 years (arthritis), and "free range" captive bunnies can go 14 years before cardiac arrest gets them.

He (well, technically a gelding) has the run of a 15'x26' carpeted familyroom, which he's pretty much chewed to pieces remodeled to his satisfaction. We've given him old cardboard boxes which he's pulled behind a sectional sofa to make his own bunny cave. He also has the run of a 10'x15' tiled diningroom but he can't get a grip on the tile with his toenails & fuzzy feet, so he has trouble accelerating/turning and doesn't like to get caught there by surprise. But bunnies cool themselves by panting like dogs, and the tile is a very cool place to lie on during hot summer days. He also thinks the diningroom drywall/molding is especially yummy.

We occasionally open a pocket door between the diningroom and the (carpeted) 10'x15' study to give him run time in there, but when we're done in the study then he leaves too. Too much tempting yummy wood in there.

He can hypothetically move from the diningroom to the (tiled) kitchen, which he does every few months, but he finds the refrigerator scary and won't go near it. He has to be really really curious (or lonely) to brave the kitchen crossing.

We used to keep him in a cage when we were working/at school, let him run around the familyroom when we were home, and then cage him for the night. That required a lot of chasing & handling, and nobody was happy with either side of that deal. Bunnies give out danger signals by thumping their hind feet, and when he did that at night in his cage (hearing or smelling the neighborhood cats outside the house) he'd wake us all up. About a year after we got him we experimented with leaving his cage door open and giving him a ramp to come & go as he wanted. He gradually moved out of the cage to his hidey-hole behind the familyroom sofa and hasn't gone back to his cage in years.

We have a pet fence across the diningroom arch to the livingroom and we keep the study door closed. Everyone enters the familyroom through the kitchen, and at night we put a pet fence across the kitchen arch to the livingroom too. (He used to chew through those too until we found one that was yucky.) Once or twice a year he'll go through the kitchen to the rest of the house, but we usually figure it out when he comes looking for us.

Oddly enough he never tries to chew through the familyroom screen door to the outside. He must think it's there to keep out the predators.

Most of his diet is protein pellets & timothy hay. He gets broccoli leaves a few times a week, and he likes an occasional chunk of papaya. When I'm done with a green tea bag (no strings or staples) he'll eat the whole thing. Tiny grapes & raisins are popular once or twice a month. But he'll practically moonwalk and do backflips for a pea-sized piece of ripe banana. Fructose is bad for bunny digestion, though, so it has to be minimal.

Bunny front teeth grow for their entire lives, so they have to chew to wear them down. Unfortunately drywall is very yummy, but we give him scrap pieces to work on. Pine molding is choice too. He also loves pieces of aspen or bougainvillea. Luckily he's pretty happy with palm branches and cardboard, and we give him plenty to work with...

Bunnies have a whole communication system, their body language can let you know exactly how they're feeling, and they really have unique personalities. They're great pets. But when he's gone to his great reward then I don't think we'll repeat the experience.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've had Shelties for over 30 years. P____ (blue merle) on the right passed away more than a year ago (bladder cancer), but M______ (tricolor) puts a smile on our faces every day after 14½ years...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K2OldKids3.jpg (342.1 KB, 9 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #48

Nords, I had no idea bunnies were so "talkative" in their own way. That was funny and interesting as all get-out. Thanks for the downlow on bunnies.
Peter Cottontail sounds as if he has chewed alot of your home. You must live with tape and plaster in your hand to fix that drywall? You have patience of a saint then or just like the bunny enough not to get rid of him.
My kid named our orange tabby "Tiger" at 7....so I get you about the name. But, to a 7 year old boy, Tiger is a realllllly cool name just like Peter Cottontail would be to an 8 year old girl.

These photos of animals are just beyond wonderful to me. I'm an animal lover and so glad so many of you are, cause I don't have one right now and miss it alot. Later....after I move in the future I'm getting something, too. You guys are lucky to have the loving companionship right now I think.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Peter Cottontail sounds as if he has chewed alot of your home. You must live with tape and plaster in your hand to fix that drywall? You have patience of a saint then or just like the bunny enough not to get rid of him.
We've lined the familyroom walls with plastic shower liner up to a height of about a foot. We've also trained him to not chew the walls, which I think really means that we've trained him to wait until we're not around. It's more effective to give him scrap wood & drywall to chew.

He's chewed the bottom 6-12" of just about every molding in the diningroom & familyroom, but stained & painted material is yucky so after we repaint it once or twice he gives up. Still... we don't have anything in those rooms that we wouldn't mind losing one bite at a time.

As pets go, he's taught our kid that pets are a huge responsibility and can be demanding/unreasonable. They're generally cheaper than dogs/cats but they're not very trainable. But once they've shown you their preferences (for example, where they like to pee/poop) then they're pretty consistent about it.

Somehow he's managed to worm his way into our hearts.

If anyone's inspired by these posts to be a bunny owner: it's probably better to buy them from a pet store (or a bunny breeder) as soon as they're weaned so that they're more attached to you from a younger age. Buy a pair (not just one) that will bond with each other, and get them accustomed to frequent handling. The most friendly bunnies we've seen have been raised that way.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
P____ (blue merle) and M______
Are P____ and M____ worried about identity theft or embarrassed about their names?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We've lined the familyroom walls with plastic shower liner up to a height of about a foot. We've also trained him to not chew the walls, which I think really means that we've trained him to wait until we're not around. It's more effective to give him scrap wood & drywall to chew.

He's chewed the bottom 6-12" of just about every molding in the diningroom & familyroom, but stained & painted material is yucky so after we repaint it once or twice he gives up. Still... we don't have anything in those rooms that we wouldn't mind losing one bite at a time.

As pets go, he's taught our kid that pets are a huge responsibility and can be demanding/unreasonable. They're generally cheaper than dogs/cats but they're not very trainable. But once they've shown you their preferences (for example, where they like to pee/poop) then they're pretty consistent about it.

If anyone's inspired by these posts to be a bunny owner: it's probably better to buy them from a pet store (or a bunny breeder) as soon as they're weaned so that they're more attached to you from a younger age. Buy a pair (not just one) that will bond with each other, and get them accustomed to frequent handling. The most friendly bunnies we've seen have been raised that way.

All I can say is, "wow!" You do have patience..and, obviously, alot of love for Mr. Cottontail. Good for you guys!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Well, all I can say is Mr. Cottontail is one lucky bunny!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #53

He must be a honey bunny...
Old 05-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Your a good man Nords.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #55

Wow, that bunny is lucky. That was fascinating. It takes quite a bit of patience with my Silky but I know I would not be patient enough for a bunny even tho it looks so cute and huggable.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Amen Nords! It is just an example of responsible pet owning. Before getting our cats, we briefly considered bunnies but were turned of the the constant chewing. Apparently they can develop a taste for electrical wires too!

We were in a "No Pets" building (penthouses excepted), so the cats have worked out well. They only get to go outside on our patio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1570068s.jpg (522.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #57

Presenting Harry. King of Everything.

And RIP, Spike. My little biker dog.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #58

SarahW...what kind of dogs are those? They are so cute...do/did they shed? I've really been thinking about getting my Maddie a playmate but so far I've been able to talk myself out of it.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

All of these animals are beyond beautiful, but Nico looks like a little devil! LOL We have two dogs; an American pitbull and a rescue golden retriever. The golden is the best dog I've ever had and we've had dogs for 40 years.

Is the bunny litter trained? Just curious.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Keno

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 024.JPG (185.1 KB, 7 views)
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote