Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About the pictures of the "cute" fox, it reminds me of a picture of a coyote that someone happened to snap from his back yard. That coyote looked like a fox, but of course was larger.

It had a little dog, a schnauzer perhaps, in its mouth. The dog was already dead.

I have read of some places where a pack of raccoon terrorized a neighborhood by ambushing and hunting house cats.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Our last kitty passed away a few months ago, was 16.
DW visited the local shelter. This fine gent picked her. DW was not sure, so she went back a couple of days later and he greeted her like a long lost friend.

So she brought him home. Very friendly and well mannered. According to the shelter he was found as a stray. He's been here a little over a week, has free run of the house, and to the outside via cat doors. Only took off for one night, came cruising in about 8 am, then decided this was home. Now only goes maybe 20 feet from the house.
Thank you for adopting a shelter kitty. He does look like a fine gent. I've often found butterscotch tabby boys to be very calm and sweet natured. He's a lucky fellow indeed
Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pit Bull Found

I almost hit this dog. Never thought I would have one of the "Pit" breeds in my house! She's a sweetie. She's changed my mind about the breeds. (I know pit bull is not a breed just slang for several breeds.) Her owner hasn't come forward yet. But if not, then I will find her a home with the help of a rescue group or the Humane Society. I had her spayed about 2 days after I found her. In this county it's mandatory. After I find her a home I'm thinking about signing up with the Humane Society to foster some animals, maybe cats.

mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

She's a beauty. How wonderful of you to help her. I also changed my mind about pits from volunteering at the shelter. Many of them are great dogs. Unfortunately, some of the people attracted to the breed are not so nice.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

mountain--that is great news--you will LOVE fostering. It has all the benefits of enjoying an animal in your home along with the pleasure of sending them into a wonderful new future. My three puppies were so much fun!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #146

I was surprised to learn the Humane Society pays for EVERYTHING! The only thing they ask is to give the poor animal a home for a while and transport the animal to adoption events. If you go on vacation call ahead and they will take care of that too. After putting my dog and cat down in the last year I've tried to stay petless. Wow that was really tough. When I almost hit this dog last week and decided to put her in the car, it really perked up my life. I talk about her all the time in the local cafe. The guy holding her in the photo is from a local pit bull rescue group. Some people were horrified that I picked her up. I always said I would not have one and here I am. She's a handful. She listens to me at home but take her out to the vets and she gets so excited. She's only 58 lbs. but solid muscle! She's really a good looking dog. I found out she is a blue nose. So because of her I started thinking about fostering animals maybe start with a cat as I think they are a little easier.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Boots has a bladder infection. He was a good boy with the vet, not hissing or meowing. The medication will take a couple of days although he is now comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1710043.jpg (527.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Boots has a bladder infection. He was a good boy with the vet, not hissing or meowing. The medication will take a couple of days although he is now comfortable.

He's darling!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

kc, he is a lovely boy! Very comfortable in that picture, that's for sure. So glad he's on the mend.

And hey, look what a friend delivered to us last night:
Christmas is coming and we'll be happy to ship!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitty.JPG (87.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #150

Beautiful cats guys. I like dogs well almost all animals, but really am a cat person. I just find them much easier to keep, even if they do tear the furniture up a bit! The problem is the over population of both.

PS Thanks for fixing the size of the fonts in the paragraph above the dog photo. I'm still not that good at posting pictures.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #151

On the left Chloe, 10 yr old Pembroke Welsh Corgi with Max - 11 yr old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Stinky & Casper - 10 yr old twins

Gracie - 8 yr old Maine Coon mix

Benny - 5 yrs old

We also have my gf's 4 year old Chihuahua, 2 yr old Greyhound and 3 cats. Can you say menagerie boys and girls?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Tiger--that is so awesome! Good for you! And I love the twin kitties the best! And the Corgi--so cute!
Don't feel bad, I don't know if I have the most pets on the forum (what would you win for such a feat--some Cat Chow), but I've got 3 border collies, 1 English setter, and 1 Pom/something mix dogs and then six, no wait, seven cats. So 12 plus DH and I. Can you say a crowded king sized bed?

Old 11-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #153

Owner and pit bull reunited last night!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Owner and pit bull reunited last night!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #155
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My little sweetie escaped yesterday out the front door while I was hanging my Christmas wreath. She headed across and up the street. I headed inside for the dog biscuits and her leash, then up the street to find her. I think she met all the dogs in the neighborhood that were in their fenced backyards. I finally cornered her at the end of the cul-de-sac. That's scary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.jpg (540.0 KB, 6 views)
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #156

My wife and Claudia. If I may say so, such a pretty woman for such plain looking guy....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chus y Claudia.jpg (463.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Vicente, very pretty wife and very pretty dog!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
My little sweetie escaped yesterday out the front door while I was hanging my Christmas wreath. She headed across and up the street. I headed inside for the dog biscuits and her leash, then up the street to find her. I think she met all the dogs in the neighborhood that were in their fenced backyards. I finally cornered her at the end of the cul-de-sac. That's scary.
I´m glad you got her back!! The rascals don´t realize how we suffer when they do things like that!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #159

My sweetie IS a rascal, but I love her.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Dogs for sheep replaced by sheep for dogs
Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Dogs for sheep replaced by sheep for dogs

In a Tale That Wags Dog Owners, They Rent Flocks for Bored Collies - WSJ.com

BATTLE GROUND, Wash.—Sue Foster knew what she needed to do when her border collie, Taff, was expelled from puppy school for herding the black Labs into a corner.
She rented some sheep.
Then she bought another border collie and rented some grazing land. Then she bought some sheep of her own. And a third border collie. Now, like the old lady who swallowed the fly, Ms. Foster keeps a llama to chase off the coyotes that threaten the lambs that go to market to finance the sheep that entertain her dogs.
Once upon a time, Americans got dogs for their sheep. Now they get sheep for their dogs. "I never dreamed it would go this far," says Ms. Foster, 56 years old.

I would say that Sue Foster is a pet-lover de verdad.

Ha