Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The harrassers:

You know, those guys or gals that take things way beyond comfortable, or legal. They're tough to get rid of, you need some proof from sometimes unwilling witnesses.

I had one I had to get rid of. He was harassing one of the women who w*rked for me. HR was useless, the gal was upset about a poem he'd written and sent to her. The HR lady said it was pretty! OMG!

I wrote him up about his time management. Specifically time away from his desk, he was to inform me in any means available if he was not in the work area. The guy wasn't too bright, he went around Megacorp asking other employees to write nice things about him. He sent them to me with the explanation he'd walked around to get them.

Good for you, but you didn't let me know you weren't in your work area. You're fired.

I was pleased when they started to RIF people. The harrassers were first to go.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #62
Dryer sheet wannabe

The Den Mother ... every company has one. A sweet, middle-aged busy body who knows everything from who ordered the cheese queso at lunch last week, to the boss' pin number: and everything in between. Often considered truly indispensable, she is the one go-to person who has an answer for everything, and knows everyone's business.
Nomoresnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

The ER Slacker.

Reads ER forum instead of working.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
It would be helpful if you identified which category you're in when you put everyone else in their categories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The ER Slacker.

Reads ER forum instead of working.
Guilty. This was me between when I got my early out package confirmed and the last day of work.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I had someone trying to make popcorn by putting the kernels in a metal pan and putting it inside a paper bag. Well the paper caught fire and melted the microwave.
Wow! I hope this guy wasn't from engineering!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Psychopaths - those who do anything to get ahead at the expense of peers, underlings, and any others who they can exploit. E.g, Sauron.

Megalomaniacs - those who thing they are bigger than their position they hold. Often, they also happen to be psychopaths. E.g, Saruman.

Kissing machines - those who do anything and everything to please their boss or other influential types for a scrap. Wormtongue.

Survivors - those who just can't be laid off, fired, or quit.
Wow! This cuts close, maybe too close, to my old w*rk "home".

These were a distinct minority in the company, but they did damage disproportionate to their numbers since they all occupied elevated or key functional positions.

I was a very unhappy camper. I've been FIRE'd three years and I'm still coming to terms with how miserable I was back then. I just soldiered onward, avoiding facing the depth of my unhappiness.

Now, from the safety of FIRE, I'm still decompressing and w*rking through the emotional wreckage. I'm glad the sun is now shining and I'm in a good place.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:19 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

And then there is Learing Lecherous Lothario. He is a rare breed, God's gift to women.

Lothario could not stop pestering women in the office at megacorp. Somehow he avoided harassment charge left over from his days as a contractor, and made it to employee status. Got so bad in his first working group, that women openly mocked him, driving him to another group. It actually got worse in the second group.

In the second group setting, he managed to exercise his right to use racism and sexism to drive wedges between many individuals. Very odd situation, and I got pulled into it. HR began interviewing people in the office, and it took several weeks. Eventually he received a few days of training at local HR office, so it was a reward to him.

Early on, he managed to convince a woman in another group that they should marry. As years went on, it was interesting to watch, to see when she would figure out that he was cheating as much as possible. I observed this behavior on company trips. Yes, wife figured it out, eventually.

He now works somewhere in the south for same megacorp, I've heard. He has special employment status which benefits the company.

This thread is one of the more entertaining ones to come along. Now, off to work and experience many of those named in other posts.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #68

I'm quite sure we had all these behaviors at one time or another at MegaCorp. But I never felt any of them were bad enough to dread going in to the office. I guess overall my co-w*rkers were a pretty good bunch, even if we had some idiosyncrasies.

I suppose the real reason I RE'd was because I could. Secondary to that was the ever-tightening claw of upper-level management, squeezing every nickle and unpaid hour they could out of the employees. That was the real travesty, not the petty antics of the employees.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
And there is also "My Microwave Mike" who puts his lunch in the microwave for 2 minutes and then disappears for 5-10 minutes leaving co-workers waiting for the micro to wonder if they should remove his lunch from the microwave.
Oh, I never hesitated! Sometimes I WAS that guy, having gotten kidnapped by that fellow who likes to have impromptu meetings in the hall. I always wondered why anyone would stand and stare at my hot lunch.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #70

Thought of another one, the Smoke Breaker. This person is always on a smoke break, can hardly be found at any time needed. Even though smoking is not allowed int he office, the person's desk and cubicle area smell like an ashtray anyway.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #71

Stampede Stan. Look out! Stampede Sam and his band are watching the clock tick down to 4:29: PM, THEN WHAM!! Mad dash to the elevators! Stand back, or be trampled!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

The Wrench Thrower is the manager who despite many pleas along the way, won’t pay attention to any details of a project brought to his attention. Then just before the deadline, he reappears to “express his concerns” and request changes hours before the presentation.
CitizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Stampede Stan. Look out! Stampede Sam and his band are watching the clock tick down to 4:29: PM, THEN WHAM!! Mad dash to the elevators! Stand back, or be trampled!
I was very much guilty of this. No way I was hanging around there...if I didn't have to be there, I wasn't.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I was very much guilty of this. No way I was hanging around there...if I didn't have to be there, I wasn't.
True. A lot of the people hanging around were just looking for face time Brownie points. I used to have a manager that made the rounds at 4:45 to see who his good boys were. By 5:00, most had fled.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #75

Gaseous Clay, the crop duster. Snacks on junk food continuously throughout the day; about every 30 minutes he gets up and wanders around the sweatshop emitting nether coughs as he passes by co-workers at their stations. Some of us never made it out of adolescence.

Someday I'm gonna write a book about this guy.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
True. A lot of the people hanging around were just looking for face time Brownie points. I used to have a manager that made the rounds at 4:45 to see who his good boys were. By 5:00, most had fled.
Oh yes...the "good boys". I can say that I was never one of those dudes.

As a matter of fact, on occasion, I would leave extra keys and a hat on my desk to give the impression that I was "still around", when in fact I had left much earlier. Was I a scammer or slacker? Maybe just a little...
Old 12-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Gaseous Clay, the crop duster. Snacks on junk food continuously throughout the day; about every 30 minutes he gets up and wanders around the sweatshop emitting nether coughs as he passes by co-workers at their stations. Some of us never made it out of adolescence.

Someday I'm gonna write a book about this guy.
We had more than a few of them. I never could tell the difference between the Cropduster Clay and Click and Drag Doug, though. I assume they are brothers and equally nasty.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

This thread mostly made me angry, because it hit home since I'm still w*rking. But now that I've calmed down, I want to join the fun.

Refrigerator Rita, doesn't have a lunch tote, no, has a lunch storage container. Also goes to the grocery store on the way to work and puts 4 bags of groceries in the fridge. Everyone else is left stuffing their meager lunches in the cracks.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
emitting nether coughs
Never heard that phrase before. Uncomfortably descriptive!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Oh yes...the "good boys". I can say that I was never one of those dudes.

As a matter of fact, on occasion, I would leave extra keys and a hat on my desk to give the impression that I was "still around", when in fact I had left much earlier. Was I a scammer or slacker? Maybe just a little...
I tried not to work late that often, but when I did I always tried to see who was leaving exactly 1 minute after the bosses. Always the same people that got to work 5 minutes before the boss and tried to say they'd been there for hours. On the very few Saturdays I allowed myself to work, they were always there sending out their emails to let the bosses know they were there on Saturday.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote