Join Early Retirement Today

Another EV Thread - This Time The Chevrolet Bolt
Old 07-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another EV Thread - This Time The Chevrolet Bolt

2020 model has a range of 259 miles. There are still some new 2019 models available. So, they are not being sold. Chevrolet is offering an $8,500 credit/rebate, plus $4,750 if you finance through GM. I see new Bolt's on Autotrader for $24,000 to $31,000 depending on package. And you get 0% financing for 72 months.

Anyone have experience with these vehicles?

Please note that GM did not pay me any promotional fees.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
2020 model has a range of 259 miles. There are still some new 2019 models available. So, they are not being sold. Chevrolet is offering an $8,500 credit/rebate, plus $4,750 if you finance through GM. I see new Bolt's on Autotrader for $24,000 to $31,000 depending on package. And you get 0% financing for 72 months.

No experience with the Bolt, but it looks like a decent vehicle to be used as a local driving car. We have a Dodge Caravan for our long distance trips (DW is handicapped and we carry a lot of gear). The Bolt (and the Leaf also) would be a great daily driver. Right now my daily is a mint 2005 Mustang convertible.

Autotrader shows a few Bolt LT models (2019 new) at a dealer in Tulsa for $22.5K.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

We bought a 2019 Bolt last November after installing solar. DW loves it; hardly lets me drive it. There isn't much room in the trunk.
We're getting the 240 mile range predicted, although I usually charge it to 85% to avoid stressing the battery (probably unnecessary).

If we aren't using the panels, the cost per KWH is 9c (with 4 miles per kwh). We've saved a ton on gas versus the Forester. Nice car.

Email me if you have any questions. We use the Silverado for hikes off of rough/unpaved roads and long trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post

RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #4

I do not have personal experience but a member of our bicycling group purchased a 2019. Loved it until it stopped working. He was out of town on a trip when it just stopped working. He had it towed to a dealer who ultimately could not repair it. Negotiations with GM were difficult. GM did not provide a new car nor a repaired one. He received a refund less the time driven

He was not happy and his experience discouraged my Bolt purchase for now. But, another big consideration for me is the distance. I am waiting for something closer to the 325 mile range.

I would check around to learn if there is a significant failure rate.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do they still get the federal tax credits? If you're considering buying also look at your state credits. I was pleasently surprised to see an EV purchase still gets a 4k state credit(CO) this year.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
I do not have personal experience but a member of our bicycling group purchased a 2019. Loved it until it stopped working. He was out of town on a trip when it just stopped working. He had it towed to a dealer who ultimately could not repair it. Negotiations with GM were difficult. GM did not provide a new car nor a repaired one. He received a refund less the time driven

He was not happy and his experience discouraged my Bolt purchase for now. But, another big consideration for me is the distance. I am waiting for something closer to the 325 mile range.

could this have been a lemon law case?
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FWIW, Consumer Reports says the Bolt has an average reliability rating and lists only "in-car electronics" as a trouble spot.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Do they still get the federal tax credits? If you're considering buying also look at your state credits. I was pleasently surprised to see an EV purchase still gets a 4k state credit(CO) this year.
GM and Tesla both no longer qualify. Every other carmaker still is eligible for the $7500 federal credit. State credits still apply as well as any electrical company.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
He was out of town on a trip when it just stopped working. He had it towed to a dealer who ultimately could not repair it. Negotiations with GM were difficult. GM did not provide a new car nor a repaired one. He received a refund less the time driven
Wow, that is an absolute deal-killer. Good to know. With longer range I'd have considered it but with "service" like that I'd be better off with an old Pinto.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I test drove the bolt when we were researching EVs. I tried out both new and used Bolt EV vehicles. We ended up going with a 2019 Nissan Leaf (151 miles) and a 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR (310 miles). It is my understanding the newer Leaf Plus models are still offering tax credits and have a range closer to that of the Bolt EV.

Overall we thought the Bolt was ok, but really a bit too similar to the Prius I had previously. A solid car, but really a bare bones economy box sort of feel. The Leaf has a very similar trim package, but feels a bit more sporty. I am enjoying the Model 3, and it has proven comfortable for daily driving and road trips. For what its worth, we bought both used and in the Chicago area we have an electric-only used car vendor who ships nationwide (current automotive). No commercial interest, but a satisfied customer.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
could this have been a lemon law case?
I know he talked about the lemon law but I do not know if it fell under it. He just let the group know his check is at the dealership.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote