Another great investment

Donzo

Full time employment: Posting here.
There has been discussion on how the person you marry is the most important decision/investment you make. I need to add another - the time and money you spend on your kids. Example:
I started my kids skiing when the were 4 and 7yo - it was a big expense to get season passes x 4 - it was a long road to teach them to ski(fun also)for the first year DW and I had the kids between our legs skiing for the most part. They got better - we got them lessons - put them on ski team.....
Yesterday was one of the most fun/exciting ski days of my life - DW had some things she was going to do w/ some friends - The kids and I went skiing, weather was great - snow was good/fast. We had a blast! I truly felt like a teenager myself as we zipped down the mountain, often in tucks, tried to do some more of the things in the terrain park etc. Yesterday was one of the best days of my 6 and a half months of retirement!
A family sport/interest = a GREAT investment of time and money!

Donzo said:
my 6 and a half months of retirement!
A family sport/interest = a GREAT investment of time and money!
I couldn't agree more. I taught my son (now 33) to ski, windsurf, and wakeboard. Over time he blew by me in everything, which is a reward in itself. Now he is teaching me snowboarding. A lot of fun. I tried to do the same with DD (now 20) but the only thing she liked was skiing. Unfortunately she broke her leg in 8th grade and has refused to ski ever since. I couldn't come up with any F/D bonding stuff to do with her until she got into Web design at school this year. At Christmas she had me set up a virtual server for her and was constantly asking questions - pestering is fun when your kids actually want your advice.

Peaceful_Warrior said:
All good advice for this first-time father of a 2-week old! *takes notes*

Dude! I hear that. My wee one is 4 weeks old today....

ooh congrats to all the new parents! :D

my little girl will be a year old in just 2 weeks!!! time does fly...

hope you all are getting some sleep - and if you are getting "enough" then consider having less so mommy can have more! :LOL: :LOL:

somehow my DH always could sleep through any sound the baby made... ::)

oh, and on the topic, we are a basketball family - 16 year old and DH play and train several times a week and i'm trying to learn so i can help coach the girls :D

Peaceful_Warrior said:
All good advice for this first-time father of a 2-week old!
The instinct is only supposed to last for a couple days, but see if the baby reciprocates when you stick your tongue out... great trick for those portrait photos.

Now get with the sign-language lessons. TH is about to learn whether that pays off during the terrible twos!

Already did the tongue thing and it was awesome :) We also already ordered the sign language book but they say it really only starts about 6 months (so obviously we're going to try sooner).

Today we had our first successful EC, so that was a momentous occasion. Hopefully, the trend will continue and improve.

Nords said:
The instinct is only supposed to last for a couple days, but see if the baby reciprocates when you stick your tongue out... great trick for those portrait photos.

Now get with the sign-language lessons. TH is about to learn whether that pays off during the terrible twos!

No need for the sign language. Gabe impresses me with his ability to completely understand just about everything I say. If I ask him to do something, he generally does. On the occasions he wishes to have a mind of his own, I suggest that he could be sent off for an early nap. He shakes his head no and behaves. More or less. Most of the time.

I usually know what he wants too, even when he's being stubborn about talking.

The sign language is actually for babies before they can verbally talk.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
No need for the sign language. Gabe impresses me with his ability to completely understand just about everything I say. If I ask him to do something, he generally does. On the occasions he wishes to have a mind of his own, I suggest that he could be sent off for an early nap. He shakes his head no and behaves. More or less. Most of the time.

I usually know what he wants too, even when he's being stubborn about talking.

Yeah I know, I have the book. We worked on it for a while and he picked up several signs. The one for "hungry" is still in use...about every 12 minutes. We sort of petered out on it when he discovered that pointing and tone of voice usually got his point across.

His Nibs has a very imperial "point"...i'll have to look for a picture.

Donzo,
I couldn't agree with you more .I feel the money I invested in raising my kids and educating them was the best money I ever spent .

Back
Top Bottom