Another Great (Pop) Musical Moment IMO...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Some of you have undoubtedly seen this, for those who may have missed it. Spontaneous (I hope) or staged, still way cool...way to go Billy.

Billy Joel - Sings in the piano accompaniment of student - YouTube

Billy sing "New York State Of Mind" with Vanderbilt University student Michael Pollack, filmed during "An Evening of Questions and Answers and a Little Bit of Music" at the university in January 2013.

Last edited:
Doesn't look staged... and it was great...

Thanks for posting, I saw the news blip, didn't think to check youtube for a fuller version.

I'm not a big fan of Billy Joel's more pop stuff, but I always loved this bluesy/jazzy song of his, and this is a great version, IMO.

Not that it matters, but I wonder if there wasn't a little bit of a set-up to this? Maybe someone assured Mr. Joel that there was a kid that would ask to accompany him, and the kid was the real thing? Otherwise it could have really been a train wreck and a waste of time. But I still think that's the limit of it, it does look like they just 'went for it', no rehearsal or anything. I like the impromptu feel.

What's the kid say when he asks, I can't make it out? "I was very fortunate, I was able to play :confused::confused: many times, in New York City ...."

-ERD50

I saw a news clip where the kid said he has previously played with Joel's sax player and asked on an audience participation "write a question card" that he would like to play one of Joel's songs. Even if it was a little set up it would still be scary to play for the piano man!

With my music gene missing, I used to get Billy Joel and Elton John mixed up as they both hit about the same time--drove my piano-playing DH crazy when I'd ask which song was whose.

Answering my own Q here...
What's the kid say when he asks, I can't make it out? "I was very fortunate, I was able to play :confused::confused: many times, in New York City ...."

-ERD50

OK, found another link to this:

VIDEO: Fan Accompanies Billy Joel; 'Greatest Moment Of My Life,' He Says : The Two-Way : NPR

In there, the kid says:
'New York State of Mind' was my favorite song, and how I had performed it with his saxophonist Richie Cannata in the past and wondered if I could go up and play it with him. And then he thought for a little — he took a second — and then he just said 'Okay.' ...

so the blanks were 'with Richie Cannata' - that's fits when I listen back.

So apparently no set-up at all. By mentioning his sax player, I guess Joel thought he could take a chance with him.

Check this out - not as good video/audio, but you catch the comments and excitement of his friends. What a gas!

Click here if you want to see another video view of what happened, from the perspective of Pollack's friends in the audience.

http://goo.gl/a1Zwy

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom