Join Early Retirement Today

Another Norway Butter Story
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Another Norway Butter Story

If you are like me you are tired of Norway Butter stories, but here it is anyway...

Quote:
Norway ran out of butter this month. There's none in the stores. People are selling it for inflated prices online. A guy just got caught trying to smuggle 200 pounds across the border from Sweden. People are panicking about the holiday baking season.
Explanations have been advanced. A high-fat diet craze jacked up demand in the country. A rainy summer led to poor grazing conditions for cows, which in turn led to lower milk and butter production. But at its core, this is a story about trade
Butter Crisis In Norway : Planet Money : NPR

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
If you are like me you are tired of Norway Butter stories, but here it is anyway...

Butter Crisis In Norway : Planet Money : NPR

Great..... one more thing to worry about.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand butter is going for about $13 per pound in Norway.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Guess I never considered butter to be an essential food item......doubt that I use a pound annually. Olive oil is good stuff though.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Administrator

Politicians have been voted out of office for less. No butter at Christmas? Unbelievable. How will they bake?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Interesting.

Norwegians love butter and use a lot in holiday baking. I cannot imagine why their grocers weren't prepared for this. It isn't like butter has a short shelf life. Time to tap the resources of the Danes who provided life's essentials in times past.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You'll have to reserve the words "crisis" and "emergency" for serious shortages-- like chocolate.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #8

Or toilet paper. Remember that one?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Ah, yes, Johnny Carson and the monologue. FCC fined him for that.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
It isn't like butter has a short shelf life.
Unsalted butter with no preservatives does have a shorter shelf life.
Some traditional European brands stamp their butter with only 3 weeks of expiration time.
Granted - it will last a lot longer than the stamped date.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My answer would be that awesome canned New Zealand butter that you can buy in sailing anchorages all over the Bahamas and Central America. Yum!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
I understand butter is going for about $13 per pound in Norway.
Pssst, wanna buy a nickel bag of primo butta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Guess I never considered butter to be an essential food item......doubt that I use a pound annually. Olive oil is good stuff though.
Perhaps they're doing other things with that butter? You know how those Scandal-navians are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You'll have to reserve the words "crisis" and "emergency" for serious shortages-- like chocolate.
Or, worse yet, beer...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
After every tsunami or hurricane siren.

That reminds me of a sea story. I'll tell it here and blog about it another day.

When a ballistic missile submarine goes to sea to remain underwater & undetected for 90 days, they mean it. You can't just pop up offshore from the Ocean City 7-11, send in a Zodiac, and buy a few rolls of toilet paper to tide you over. Some truly paranoid submariners (with sea stories of their own) would even devote a few precious cubic inches of personal storage space to an "emergency use only" roll. Of course there's always an entrepreneur or two stockpiling a small supply of their own, hoping for the right time that roll could be parceled out to shipmates a few sheets at a time...for a "fair" price.

However a boomer typically has a crew of at least 130 who, for the next 90 days, will see food as one of their primary sources of entertainment. When standing underway watches, submarines serve food every six hours 24/7. The math piles up (so to speak) awfully fast.

It usually means that a few days before underway, the squadron supply department delivers 4-5 pallets of the stuff pierside for an all-hands working party to store below. You'd be amazed at how few of that 130 crew are actually available to form a daisy chain down the hatch to hand-load the bundles of toilet paper.

Another issue is storage space. For reasons I'd rather not discuss how we learned, you can't store toilet paper anywhere that it might get wet, soak up irritating/noxious substances, catch fire, or even smolder. On a submarine you run out of those sorts of storage spaces pretty quickly, and everyone else has some whiny little reason why their nuclear gear or medical supplies have to go there instead. Nobody wants to store toilet paper.

On a submarine, junior sailors clean the heads. Junior sailors usually belong to Deck Division, and Deck Div belongs to the Weapons Officer. So instead of being able to use the Supply Officer's dry/locked storage spaces, the Weps has to devote the department's valuable volume reserved for explosives, pyrotechnics, & ammo to... potty paper.

On my first submarine, I came topside one afternoon to find LT "Mad Dog" Cole fuming on the pier. This wasn't unusual because he smoked like a chimney. On this occasion, though, he was fuming at five pallets of toilet paper that squadron had just dropped off. I started to empathize with him, because he was a valuable source of signatures for my Officer of the Deck qualification card.

"Toilet paper again, huh, Weps?"
"No, this time it's much worse than that."
"Whaddya mean?"
"Well, I ordered six pallets but squadron says that this is the last toilet paper they're going to be able to give us. This has to last for the rest of our time inport and for our entire patrol, too. The whole base is out of toilet paper and they won't restock until a week after we're gone. I can't even get enough for the patrol now, let alone top us off before we leave. I've been telling Deck Div to hurry up here and get this stuff stowed before it disappears!!"

At this point he yelled over at the topside sentry to tell Deck Div to muster topside ASAP while he went off to try to find more toilet paper. The topside sentry had been paying very close attention to our conversation, and he got busy on the topside phone circuit.

15 minutes later I dropped by the pierside officer's club for lunch and noticed Mad Dog relaxed in the corner with a big smile on his face. He asked me if the sentry had been working on getting Deck Div topside, and I reassured him that they'd be on it soon. He laughed, and I commented that he sure didn't seem very worried about the situation.

He recalibrated me: "Oh, there's plenty of toilet paper on the base, but nobody wants to help me load it and I can never find enough places to store it. We have plenty onboard already and I only needed a few more pallets to top off, but I thought I'd try a little reverse psychology this time. I sent all of Deck Div over to squadron supply earlier so that they wouldn't be around to load it, and it's just sitting there on the pier unguarded. I bet it's all gone by the time we finish lunch!"

Sure enough, an hour later there were only five empty pallets on the pier. Deck Div was mystified, and nobody could tell them what had happened to their stores load.

The Weps managed to keep his mouth shut, and Deck Div wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I had a hard time keeping the smirk off my face when I heard the rumors about the TP shortage, and after a while I realized that the CO & XO were also struggling to maintain their poker faces. It took about half the patrol for the crew to compare notes and realize that somehow nearly everyone had ended up carrying at least six "emergency" rolls in their rack storage pans. For the next six weeks, rolls of toilet paper kept appearing in the head like magic-- all of them crushed beyond recognition, but still usable. Deck Div not only got out of a stores load, but they never even had to restock the stalls.

Next year I finished my sea duty and rolled ashore. A few years later I went back to sea on my second submarine, and this time I was the Weps. Lo & behold, the toilet paper problem had not been solved during my shore duty-- at least not by the crew. When the supply truck dumped their load (so to speak) on the pier for our deployment, our new Deck Div petty officer immediately began fretting over his storage problem. "No worries", I told him, and I started channeling Mad Dog's Oscar-winning performance for a new (eavesdropping) topside audience. Then I sent the petty officer and his Deck Div over to squadron supply for more paint, and I sent myself to lunch.

An hour later it was all gone. A couple of junior officers, with OOD qualification challenges of their own, even offered to share a few rolls with me if I'd enlighten them on various aspects of the weapons systems signatures on their qual cards.

I mentioned it to the CO that afternoon. The next morning the XO, a former Weps, did us proud. At quarters on the pier, he encouraged the crew to conserve toilet paper due to the base-wide shortage. It worked so well that three months later we were pulling into our liberty port before the troops began returning their personal stashes.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

So what did that French lady say? Let em eat BaCON!

heh heh heh - born during WWII and grew up eating margarine. Never could stand the taste of Butter - until late adulthood.

P.S. We never had bacon as a kid either. But now since it's wicked and sinful - for chloresterol diet. BACON! Like a few good stocks only in extreme moderation.

P.S. Do the Norway butter smugglers only operate when the weather is below the melting tempurature of butter?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

So, would this be a Butter Bubble, then?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote