Join Early Retirement Today

Another Outrage
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Outrage

Is there nothing this administration won't stoop to?

http://tinyurl.com/yapgo4
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Another Outrage
Old 11-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

No! Its things like this, putting unrelated items into bills, that cause all kinds of problems.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hahahahaha...

Apropos of nothing, here is an amusing (if crude) bit from The Rude Pundit:

"Sympathy For Mrs. Haggard's Ass: A Haiku:

Gayle always wondered
Why Ted said, "Jesus enters
Us through our back doors.""

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) It's not the administration, it is the Congress. If the Congress members aren't smart enough to know what they are voting for do they really deserve to be in Congress. The Dems objected in closed door talks, but somehow it didn't get brought up or leaked during when the bill was put to the open Congress. Sounds kind of like "I voted for it, before I voted against it." Or was it the other way around.

2) The US military is not an "occupying" force, we have been asked to stay by the Iraqi government.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
2) The US military is not an "occupying" force, we have been asked to stay by the Iraqi government.
Millions of Iraqis seem to think otherwise.

Of course our puppet gummint over there asked us to say. They have the life expectancy of a mayfly once we leave.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
1) It's not the administration, it is the Congress. If the Congress members aren't smart enough to know what they are voting for do they really deserve to be in Congress.
I know nothing about the genesis of this particular provision but I do know that items like this don't magically materialize in an appropriations bill. Do you know who put it in and why? If not, you should not assume it isn't the administration.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Billions down the f'ing drain (into pockets and you can trace the lines into the pockets) and idiots are voting down school levies here b/c they are po'd about high taxes.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I know nothing about the genesis of this particular provision but I do know that items like this don't magically materialize in an appropriations bill. Do you know who put it in and why? If not, you should not assume it isn't the administration.
From the article:
"The clause was inserted by the Republican side of the House Armed Services Committee over the objections of Democratic counterparts during a closed-door conference, "

Yup sounds like it was the administration to me. :

Edited to add: The administration can request things be added, but it is up to the members of the Congress to add them.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #9

When we discover something outrageous like this, we have to let our congress know that we are outraged. When's the last time you emailed or wrote a letter to a member of congress and really let them know what you think? If they don't think we are on their tails, then they get even more lazy because they think we are all stupid and don't read the news!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
because they think we are all stupid and don't read the news!
Unfortunately, they would be correct, for the most part.

JG
Old 11-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
When we discover something outrageous like this, we have to let our congress know that we are outraged. When's the last time you emailed or wrote a letter to a member of congress and really let them know what you think? ...
Several times in the last year. I rarely get more than a form letter back, if that, since my positions are usually opposite of those of "my" representatives.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
1) It's not the administration, it is the Congress. If the Congress members aren't smart enough to know what they are voting for do they really deserve to be in Congress. The Dems objected in closed door talks, but somehow it didn't get brought up or leaked during when the bill was put to the open Congress. Sounds kind of like "I voted for it, before I voted against it." Or was it the other way around.

Good points.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote