Another Windows 10 / Quicken question

Richard4444

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi all, and still deciding on the Win 10 upgrade or not.

My only questionable upgradeable program is: Quicken 2011 Home & Business, which I am not sure if it will be compatible with Win 10 (don't think so), so therefore I would have to upgrade to Quicken 2016 H&B and hope is goes flawlessly. I did a google search and, of course, there are some issues from some Quicken H&B 2016 users. And if the hook is that Win 10 upgrade is free for now, Quicken 2016 is not, so it's a wash.

Plan B is just to postpone another 4 years while continuing to receive the Win 7 security updates and in 4 years, upgrade both Win 7 to 10 and Quicken 2011 to whatever. (If it ain't broke .....)

Any thoughts from my esteemed colleagues?

Thanks, Rich

Are you sure that Quicken ?? will be able to convert Quicken 2011?

I would upgrade both, now. Win 10 is free, and better. I have done a few of the conversions now. Very few have any issues.

Thanks Senator,

I have not looked into converting Quicken 2011 to Quicken 2016. I have had Quicken since DOS and it has always upgraded. Has anyone upgraded Q 2011 to 2016 or thereabouts, or tried and could not ?

Thanks, Rich

I upgraded from 2012 to 2015 without a problem. I don't think 2011 to 2016 would be any different.

I had no problem upgrading to W10 with Q2015 in place. I don't know if Q2012 would have had a problem with W10.

I'd up grade to W10 while it's free. That's clearly Microsoft's darling, works fine, and will be supported longer. Try it with Q2011 in place and upgrade to Q2016 if necessary. Or even Q2015 if you can find a cheap copy.

I had no trouble upgrading Quicken 2011 to 2014. And when I upgraded to win10 - no issues at all with quicken.

I suspect there won't be problems upgrading, however, I would rather hear positive feedback from folks who upgraded Quicken skipping more than two years. Quicken has been, for a while, oriented toward an "upgrade every three years" approach. I recently received notice from Quicken that online updates would end for Quicken 2013 in a couple of months. It's part of the deal... three years, then upgrade. So 2011 to 2014 and 2012 to 2015 (and 2013 to 2016) are upgrade scenarios that Quicken, as uneven as their quality has been over the years, was sure to test. 2011 to 2016:confused: Who knows?

Thanks all for your feedback. I feel better about these upgrades now. I have always upgraded Quicken from a disk just-in-case, rather than a download. But it seems that the download has the latest bug fixes. Any opinion on this?

Thanks, Rich

Thanks all for your feedback. I feel better about these upgrades now. I have always upgraded Quicken from a disk just-in-case, rather than a download. But it seems that the download has the latest bug fixes. Any opinion on this?

Thanks, Rich
I used to make a point of ordering the disk versions, but have moved to downloads as a matter of convenience and in some case it is cheaper as the vendor does not have to deal with postage/handling. Before I will even install a downloaded version though, I save the file(s) to a backed-up folder organized by vendor, title, and version. Occasionally make use of that, but quite rarely. Amazon, where I normally find good deals on more common software titles, also maintains a "Software Library" of what I've purchased, so should I ever need to reinstall TurboTax 2008 no worries about being able to. :LOL:

FWIW, DM was getting antsy about using Win7 yet, so I finally updated her PC to Win10 last week. Of seven machines I did the upgrade on it was probably the most troublesome, took several extra reboots to work though a "temporary user" issue, and a bunch more to get an HP printer/scanner to install properly. But it all worked out in the end, took about 4 hours start to finish.

The download is exactly the same as the disk version, except the download is the latest. At one point in time, they were identical.

If it makes you feel better, down load the file, save it to disk/CD, then install it.

It shouldn't make any difference far as as download or disk. Basically the same thing, you can save the the download file and burn it to a CD

As for W10, did you run/review the compatibility report and check for problems with apps ? 2011 is sunset so intuit probably no longer supports it. You can search the intuit forums, some reporting older version of quicken need to be reinstalled.

https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/1247006-upgrading-quicken-2011-to-win-10

With the disk (which I got this year solely because it was much less expensive on the day I bought it) you start by installing an old version, and then before anything else you upgrade to the download version.

Update: First, thank you all for your input and assistance .....
It was simple to download Q H&B 2016 (from Amazon), and upgrade from Q H&B 2011.
The only issue that I had was that Quicken did not recognize my existing Quicken password (last used in 2011), and it was not easy to create a new one and log in with it, but eventually it did (It seemed like Quicken was thinking: "oh, what the heck - let's just let him use a new one").
Next upgrade will be from Win 7 to Win 10 (another day).
Thanks so much again,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom