Anti-viral face mask?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
GF and I usually walk to and from downtown core to my place, but Thursday night we had oysters and wine and came out into a drizzle and gloom that were not inviting for walking up the hill in the dark. We have several buses that will work pretty well, so I checked the bus app and picked one. We walked a few blocks and got on with no wait. So far, pretty good.

But good lord, the bus started and pretty soon it seemed like we must have been on a shuttle at a communicable disease hospital campus. Whoever was not coughing was sneezing, and it seemed like no one was much into blocking their spew. Then some poor unfortunate across the aisle seemed to be acutely suffering, so she removed her shoes and while moaning loudly proceeded to tend to some very messed up looking feet.

GF has a car, but though she is a marvelous person, she has that hesitationosis which makes it hard for me to stay relaxed, and that means that I may offend or annoy her which is definitely counterproductive to the whole point of a relationship. Not to mention the pleasure of date night.

I plan to overcome my my low-roller hostility to unnecessary expenditures and use much more uber when we are together. I appreciate her tolerance for me, but basic respect and gratitude for a woman means no more hospital buses. It makes no sense to spend $60-$70 on Happy Hour and save the $6 or $7 of a ride home.

But when I am alone, I would prefer to continue using buses, if I can mitigate the germ factor. I sometimes see Asians wearing face masks. They are not coughing, so I assume that at least sometimes they are protecting themselves.

Can anyone suggest what sort of mask I might try?

Ha

Whatever fits (sometimes you have to fiddle with them a bit to ensure there are no gaps between mask and nose), but be sure they have the "N95" certification. Amazon has plenty of varieties; just look for N95.

Might want to try something like this:

https://www.medline.com/product/Biomask-Antiviral-Face-Masks/Masks/Z05-PF07346

I'm sure the typical masks you see are worthless. The one above seems to be made for medical personnel. Short of that, you could go with something like this:

extzz36ordij8pja.jpg

An advantage of wearing a mask on the bus means people boarding the bus after you will most likely avoid sitting near you....

On that topic my two DD and I did an after Christmas shop/sleepover a nice local hotel. We planned to go out for a nice brunch so I went down to the free breakfast area just to get a coffee. Some Jack@ss came down and cough a hacked freely all over the entire breakfast area.. he touched and looked at everything. He had a lady friend who could have collected some breakfast for him, but he thought it would be more fun to see if he could pass his germs to everyone.. BTW this is why I never use a hotel pillow and use sanitizing wipes on all the touchable surfaces in my room....

Whatever fits (sometimes you have to fiddle with them a bit to ensure there are no gaps between mask and nose), but be sure they have the "N95" certification. Amazon has plenty of varieties; just look for N95.

You can also find inexpensive N95 masks at HD or Lowes. I buy them to use in the studio for the occasional spraying of glazes on my pottery.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom