Antifragile Book

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone read the book "Antifragile" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb? I just happened to see it on Amazon and thought it looked interesting. Would like to hear more if anyone here has read it.

Here's an excerpt from one of the reviews on Amazon:

"Antifragile complements The Black Swan by celebrating systems that gain from disorder, trading away short-term predictability and micro-rationality for long-term success exploiting macro-unpredictability. It's a bold attitude, amply supported by argument and example from many fields. If anything, it is more outrageous and iconoclastic than The Black Swan. It is Taleb's most important book to date, as it closes the circle. On one level, the universe (at least as perceived by humans) is ruled by disorder, but on another level, the crucial elements are those that gain from disorder as eventually these are fitter for survival than any element, however strong, that requires order.

If you have read any of Taleb's other books, I suggest Antifragile is the best next one to read. If you have not read any, I suggest starting with either Fooled by Randomness or if you have a technical background, Dynamic Hedging; then moving on to Antifragile. However, it is certainly possible to read Antifragile with no prior preparation. Eventually, everyone should read all of his books (or all of his thinking, most of which is available free at his website). But if you have to pick only one, Antifragile is the best choice. "

omni

Has anyone read the book "Antifragile" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb? I just happened to see it on Amazon and thought it looked interesting. Would like to hear more if anyone here has read it.

Here's an excerpt from one of the reviews on Amazon:

"Antifragile complements The Black Swan by celebrating systems that gain from disorder, trading away short-term predictability and micro-rationality for long-term success exploiting macro-unpredictability. It's a bold attitude, amply supported by argument and example from many fields. If anything, it is more outrageous and iconoclastic than The Black Swan. It is Taleb's most important book to date, as it closes the circle. On one level, the universe (at least as perceived by humans) is ruled by disorder, but on another level, the crucial elements are those that gain from disorder as eventually these are fitter for survival than any element, however strong, that requires order.

If you have read any of Taleb's other books, I suggest Antifragile is the best next one to read. If you have not read any, I suggest starting with either Fooled by Randomness or if you have a technical background, Dynamic Hedging; then moving on to Antifragile. However, it is certainly possible to read Antifragile with no prior preparation. Eventually, everyone should read all of his books (or all of his thinking, most of which is available free at his website). But if you have to pick only one, Antifragile is the best choice. "

omni
Thanks for the review. I haven't read it, but I will.

Just got it at Amazon. I'm on strike against the library, as they have admitted that they have bedbugs. Just what I need- nice fire going, snuggle up on the couch with a good book...and a bedbug.

Ha

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I haven't read it, but I will.

Just got it at Amazon. I'm on strike against the library, as they have admitted that they have bedbugs. Just what I need- nice fire going, snuggle up on the couch with a good book...and a bedbug.

Ha

I have recently heard about bedbugs here at the library. I suddenly love my kindle more.:(

Yikes! This is a source I hadn't thought of. And here I was planning to go to the library for a book that I will now probably order from Amazon instead.

Another strike against LBYM. Sigh.

I wonder if Amazon will ever use this for marketing the Kindle, haha.

...(snip)...

Ha
You could do a new take on "Sleepless in Seattle".

Maybe "Bugged Sleepless in Seattle" or ...

Back
Top Bottom