Join Early Retirement Today

Any advice in choosing new Mattress?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any advice in choosing new Mattress?

I am looking for input on what type of mattress to purchase. I've been looking around at the memory foam types as well as other pillow top models. Costco has a pretty good deal on a memory foam model that is pretty inexpensive (compared to the Temperpedics and others). As one who experiences lower back problems from time-to-time I would like to make a careful choice.

Opinions welcome.

Thanks
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a sore back a few years ago persistent soreness, aches and pains (and I was 32 yo). We bought a king size bed when we moved into our new house in Dec 05, and put a foam mattress on the bed. Best night sleep I ever had every night. Wish I discovered it sooner. Worth whatever price you pay for it.

Hotel beds are so uncomfortable now.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...light=mattress
Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #4

go to a mattress store and lay down on the foam ones to see if you like it. i didn't when i tried it out.

we got the simmons beautyrest for the individual coils that are not connected by a top spring layer - this does reduce the residual bouncing if your mate is jostly around, you don't feel it on your side.

i also think a lot of mattresses have gone nuts with the pillow top layer. if it is too fluffy, it will eventually make a dent, so i avoided the 5 inch pillow top ones!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We just bought a tempur-pedic. Best sleep we ever got...and that's 40+ years of mattresses. Be aware that tempur-pedic's are warranteed for 20 years, about 10 more than "normal" mattresses.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have discovered since reaching the hot flash years that the memory foam is too dang hot for me. As Al has mentioned, memory foam retains heat.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

DW suffers from that affliction. She picked out the tempur-pedic and loves it.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We've been on a Costco foam/memoryfoam king mattress (comes in store in the blue roll around chest) since 6-1-07. $665. Very pleased with it thus far, figure if the foam starts to degrade and we have to change it every three years it will still be a better deal than a Beautyrest or other mattress. We sleep with open windows year 'round, overheating hasn't been a problem for the gal, who does temerature modulation by blanket tossing. Really like that motion is not transmitted if one of us gets up or is rolling around.

Hint: open the mattress where you are going to use it. Moving it can be done by dragging it on edge on a plastic tarp, but it's 120# of floppy awkwardness.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
but it's 120# of floppy awkwardness.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 PM   #10

I hurt my back in 1978. I thought the ejection seat in the AC I was flying had something to do with it. You were forced to sit somewhat hunched over. It persisted after I retired until 1992. We purchased a Serta Perfect Night. Three weeks after we bought this mattress the back ache was gone. We have replaced that mattress with another Serta Perfect Night and still no back ache. Could be a coincidence, but as long as the back ache stays away, I stay with Serta.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I hurt my back in 1978. I thought the ejection seat in the AC I was flying had something to do with it. You were forced to sit somewhat hunched over.
Ahhhh yes, I recall that sitting position. If you had to pull the levers it made it much easier to kiss your @ss goodbye...
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the great responses - Some of the newer models of the Costco conforming foam models now tout a cooler feel. Nice thing about a Costco purchase that if you don't like it you can return it.

In our area we have a store called Mattress factory - I replaced my Posturpedic with one of their top models and after 5 years - somethings gotta give. We have not been happy with our choice. Our style is to shop / compare but buy for the long term.

You can't find much objective advice (for some reason) on mattress selection.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydog View Post
Thanks for the great responses - Some of the newer models of the Costco conforming foam models now tout a cooler feel. ....
Be advised, when we were buying I looked into that and the cooler feel is accomplished with a less dense but thicker memoryfoam. What i recall learning is that the less dense foam degrades more rapidly, giving the hollow spots we didn't like about our innersping mattresses. We had used the Costco memory foam mattress toppers for several years and could tell that the foam was losing it's supportive memory. That drove our purchase of the cheaper Costco mattress (9" foam base + 3" memory foam) with the thought to view the mattress as a consumable rather than a decade+ long term comittment
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had great luck with Select Comfort (sleep number) beds. I had consistent back aches before purchasing this bed and after, they are gone. The nice thing is that since it fills up with air, it will never sag, you never have to flip it, and you can adjust it to the firmness at which you desire.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

From the FAQ on the tempurpedic web site ( TEMPUR Retail# )

"Will the Tempur-Pedic mattress make me hot?
No. The cells themselves are open and breathable, so the material is self-ventilating. Unlike innerspring mattresses which cause pressure points, the TEMPURŪ material relieves pressure resulting in better circulation. Due to the increase in circulation throughout your body, you may discover you need fewer blankets to sleep comfortably. "
Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican View Post
From the FAQ on the tempurpedic web site ( TEMPUR Retail# )

"Will the Tempur-Pedic mattress make me hot?
No. The cells themselves are open and breathable, so the material is self-ventilating. Unlike innerspring mattresses which cause pressure points, the TEMPURŪ material relieves pressure resulting in better circulation. Due to the increase in circulation throughout your body, you may discover you need fewer blankets to sleep comfortably. "
FAQ from tempurpedic

Do your mattresses suck?
No. They are the best thing since sliced bread. Worth every penny.

;-)
Old 10-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've tried several memory foam mattresses and they all retained and produced more heat than a regular mattress with a good topper like wool. Its simply not plausible to have any kind of foam compete with an open woven cloth material.

My wife likes it, i'm a little iffy on it, but thats the whole "women cooler than men" issue.

By the way, I opened a pair of them downstairs and then had to carry one up two flights of stairs with a 90 degree turn and the other up three flights with two 90 degree turns. That was some bunch of floppy 120lb goodness...

Tempurpedic is the Mac of the mattress world. If you have a certain stratification of identically designed and weighted foam layers, paying twice as much for one vs another is just a matter of subjective brand preference.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #18

Once you go foam you'll never go back ...
Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #19

I love my temur-pedic

Paying for it broke my heart but after the first couple days getting used to it I would have nothing else.

It seems that your spine need s a few days to realign and 10% do not adjust which is why they give the 90 day return period.

As others have said, paying a lot for something you will keep a long time and use constantly can be the correct plan if the quality is better.

I have three sets of friends that feel the same way.
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We've had one for a few years. Got it through:

Memory Foam Mattress

but that now re-directs to:

Isoform Memory Foam Mattress

Cheaper than the tempur-pedic, and from reviews at the time, seems just as good. At the time, they just started dealing retail, they supplied hospitals before then. Their customer service was pitiful at that time, but we did get our order OK after one messed up delivery. So, check how they are doing now if you consider them.

We love it. It is warmer, but it seems we got used to that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote