Join Early Retirement Today

Any advice on exercise equipment
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Any advice on exercise equipment

would be greatly appreciated.

I have a large area to populate (20x30) and have about $30k budgeted for equipment. Want it to last about a while without major upkeep.

Any good brands that someone can suggest.

Here is my experience with my last treadmill, pretty much.
Wilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

30k is a lot. I'd get a nice treadmill,eliptical, bowflex, stationary bike, and a bunch of free weights. Should cost well under 10k.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

thefed, thanks, yeah those are on my list pretty much as you have them. I'm thinking a Stairmaster and some heavy and medium punching bags.

Any particular brand of treadmill? I'm looking at Cybex and BowFlex
I want the Pro versions of the Arc Train, Treadmill, recumbant cycle and the stepper.
CYBEX - Cardio

Any other brands that people have experince with, I need to kinda compare quality and prices?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #4

Yes 30k is a lot, but if you are outfitting with some real quality stuff, you may be able to burn thru it.

I like the Life Fitness equipment that my gym has. They have a line for commercial gyms as well as for home gyms. I think they are almost identical, except for a few more electronic bells and whistles on the commercial equipment. I will be buying some things from that line when I fit out my own exercise room in a couple years (but will try to keep it between 10-12k or so if possible). The treadmill, eliptical and the recumbent bikes are great. They have weight machines as well. I was looking for a rowing machine, but they don't carry one.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
gone traveling

Commercial line equipment. It will last. You might be surprised how poorly made many of the equipment for home use is.

The Fed and rambler have given you good ideas. Don't forget the dumbbells
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you regularly use exercise equipment?if not you may buy all this stuff with the best intentions of using it but it may end up as just expensive dust collectors.I'm sure for a fraction of $30k you could get a lifetime membership at a local gymn
Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rambler, that does look like good quality equipment. I'm going to buy the commercial grade in a few of the machines just because of the useage time.

I have not seen a good rowing machine lately in any gyms that I stop in. Wonder if those muscle groups are being used on other equipment?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My gym used to have Cybex treadmills, and I thought they were wonderful. I have often thought I'd like to have one in my home gym that I plan to set up after I move to Missouri. I have absolutely no idea what one would cost, or if they sell to individuals, though. What I like about them is that the surface is easy on the feet and not too hard (and adjustable), and they seem very sturdy; they have lots of bells and whistles, too.

Personally, with your budget and space I would get:
  • a Cybex treadmill,
  • a good elliptical,
  • a good recumbent bike (Schwinn?),
  • a bowflex
  • free weights and bench
  • a stretching station or area
  • a 60" TV, and Wii Sports so that I could do that too (it's exercise, but fun). A few exercise DVD's of various kinds.
  • uncluttered area, partly covered with mats (for yoga, calisthenics, or whatever), and partly not (for dance, jumprope, or Wii)
Also, if there was money left over, I would consider my favorite individual weight machine, the Nautilus abdominal crunch machine:

Nautilus® Home Fitness Equipment | Nautilus® Commercial Fitness Equipment

They have this at my gym, plus a Cybex abdominal machine and there is no comparison - - the Nautilus machine always has a line waiting for it and it really tightens up the abs. I like a lot of the individual machines like this at my gym, and I have never actually used a Bowflex (but I am figuring it is probably the only affordable, quality option to cover numerous muscle groups at home).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Jambo, yeah it's a big trade off. I do twice a days, so getting ready, going to the gym, 3-4 workout and shower, home, sheesh, I'm spending 9 hours a day in the process, plus gym is really crowded lately and waiting has become common.

So, time to get the stuff and be done with that routine.

Bit of a fitness fanatic and the gym was great when working, do before and after work. But having to leave home twice a day just for workouts is getting old.

In the past we have gone thru the home quality stuff like crazy, so tired of broken down equipment.

Thought maybe someone on here had seen some brands that I'm not seeing here in Vermont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Do you regularly use exercise equipment?if not you may buy all this stuff with the best intentions of using it but it may end up as just expensive dust collectors.I'm sure for a fraction of $30k you could get a lifetime membership at a local gymn
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Alright, it's the cheapskate in me coming out, but you can still get the old 1980's hydraulic cylinder rowing machines for under $10 second hand. They are certainly not as jazzy as the new ones, but my greek god-like muscles don't seem to mind.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Want2Retire,
Your gym ideas sound a lot like mine. I like the list. And I used a gym for years that had almost all Nautilus individual machines. Probably 12-14 machines and I did the circuit on those. Gym had them arranged in a pattern that you could really deplete a muscle group, move to the next machine with a different muscle group and be fully recover when the next machine required the previously depleted group.

To me $30k is a small price to pay for a setup that makes me happy. I like the big TV idea too. And may throw in some huge Bose speakers to play some workout music.

But I really hope to just place one or two orders and have them come in and do the complete setup. So I hope to find 1-2 brands with nice warranties.

Hoping to maintain fitness, cardio and bulk all in one set of 6-8 machines and free weights.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. Had not thought of Schwinn for the cycle machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My gym used to have Cybex treadmills, and I thought they were wonderful. I have often thought I'd like to have one in my home gym that I plan to set up after I move to Missouri. I have absolutely no idea what one would cost, or if they sell to individuals, though. What I like about them is that the surface is easy on the feet and not too hard (and adjustable), and they seem very sturdy; they have lots of bells and whistles, too.

Personally, with your budget and space I would get:
  • a Cybex treadmill,
  • a good elliptical,
  • a good recumbent bike (Schwinn?),
  • a bowflex
  • free weights and bench
  • a stretching station or area
  • a 60" TV, and Wii Sports so that I could do that too (it's exercise, but fun). A few exercise DVD's of various kinds.
  • uncluttered area, partly covered with mats (for yoga, calisthenics, or whatever), and partly not (for dance, jumprope, or Wii)
Also, if there was money left over, I would consider my favorite individual weight machine, the Nautilus abdominal crunch machine:

Nautilus® Home Fitness Equipment | Nautilus® Commercial Fitness Equipment

They have this at my gym, plus a Cybex abdominal machine and there is no comparison - - the Nautilus machine always has a line waiting for it and it really tightens up the abs. I like a lot of the individual machines like this at my gym, and I have never actually used a Bowflex (but I am figuring it is probably the only affordable, quality option to cover numerous muscle groups at home).
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really like the Cybex arc trainer that the gym uses. What might be your best option is to talk to some of the gyms in your area about what they consider good stuff, maybe even something the gym is selling (cheapskate ditto) on an upgrade. I also like the heavy duty rowers that my gym has, but I can't remember the name.
The Cybex Arc Trainer is my all time favorite, and if I were putting something in at the house, that would be at the top of the list. And of course free weights and a good bench.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Grizz, do you know what the Greek God's used for workout routine? They seemed very fit.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbury View Post
Grizz, do you know what the Greek God's used for workout routine? They seemed very fit.
Bowflex?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

If I had that kind of cash, I'd pretty much follow this to the letter:
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...sue1_Sep02.pdf

Not a lot of machines, just weights, rack, a rower, lifting platform, rings, and maybe some toys like a climbing rope, climbing wall.

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Keep it quiet, but I heard a rumor that Zeus was "on the juice" if ya know what I mean.....short temper, occasional rage with those lightning bolts. Makes you wonder.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Didn't they "abduct" a lot of mortal women and sire demi-gods? Yeah, all that chasing after swans and stuff, very aerobic.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

That baby with the helmut gives me an urge to call 911 everytime I see it.

Grizz, CuppaJoe, wait a minute. So gettin on the juice and chasing mortal women will give me the body of a Greek God and I save $30k.

Woo hooo. But I just read Canseco's latest book and Zeus is not mentioned. A-Rod and Jeter are but not Zeus. So is Canseco not old enough to have played ball with Zeus. He seems about the right age.

In Gold's out in Venice Beach, I wonder if Zeus could have hung with the big boys. I walked in that place once and WOW, the smaller biceps were 20 inch.

Unreal.

Oh well, I can do with a set of basic machines but Greek God is my goal.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would recommend a BowFlex, some dumbells, and some high quality cardio machine of your choice (most likely a treadmill or elliptical). I'd workout outside when possible too. I don't think you need any more than that, but just my opinion.

We have a BowFlex Ultimate (great, but the newer ones are even better), SelecTech dumbells (love them), LifeFitness treadmill (cardio programs a must IMO), WaterRower, Schwinn Recumbent bike and a Nordic Trac. I use the first three mostly and ride my bicycle outdoors whenever possible. Use the WaterRower or Recumbent when the treadmill gets boring (not often), never use the Nordic Trac anymore (want it?). Free weights are better than a BowFlex but you shouldn't work out with them alone for large muscle group exercises.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #20

Midpack - just checked out the WaterRower on the net. How do you like this machine? I'm interested as it seems to work most/all muscle groups.
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote