Any Dish Users Out There?

While I can't speak for Dish, I do know alot about DirecTV.  The satellite DVR's are a vast improvement over the regular DVRs or tuners and VCR combinations.  The signal is received at your tuner is a compressed format where it is uncompressed for viewing.  If you have a satellite DVR, the program is stored in this original compressed format . . . ie: on playback it is uncompressed.  Thus the playback from a satellite DVR is the exact same image as if you were watching it live.  This is a vast improvement over VCR's and standard DVRs in both quailty and storage capacity.  Directv TiVos have 2 tuners which allow you to record two programs and watch a third recorded program at the same time.  While this seems like more than anyone would need, I have two TiVo's and every once in a while I hit a conflict where I have more than 4 programs scheduled to record at the same time.   

We have DishNetwork on our boat. We bought it at a local store and they did the setup at the store because we don't have a phone line on the boat (see 'Do you have a cell phone' thread) and I installed it myself. We have the DVR running two TV's on the boat. We are very happy with it, no problems in over 6 months. The boat will rock some but it doesn't lose the signal until the wind get above 30 knts and the boat really starts a rockin'.

Had Comcast at the house, I prefer the Dish menus and I love the DVR feature. Once you use DVR you will never watch TV the same again.

dish sucked. i dropped them on the 366th day....which was as early as i could do it

now, if u dont have cable, u have no options other than directv, which i have not used before

Directv TiVos have 2 tuners which allow you to record two programs and watch a third recorded program at the same time.  While this seems like more than anyone would need, I have two TiVo's and every once in a while I hit a conflict where I have more than 4 programs scheduled to record at the same time.

We called Tivo because we thought that was our answer they said that it wouldn't do that unless we had cable it wasn't set up for any of the dish services....at least not to watch one show and tape another...

Doesn't the Dishnetwork ViP622 DVR do what you want?   If not, why not?  I am thinking of getting one, so your thoughts are much appreciated.
We looked on the dishnetwork.com site and read about the DVR and it said nothing about watching one show and taping another.  Dish also had a big lawsuit with Tivo a while back. Tivo claimed that the Dish DVR was a copy of Tivo.  Tivo lost but I am sure it is all on going.

If any one has an answer for that problem I sure would appreciate it  until then were using our recordable DVD in another room.

Kathyet

The DirecTv Tivo's will allow you to watch one program and record (to the Tivo) another concurrently.  They will also allow you to record 2 programs (to the Tivo) concurrently while you are watching a prerecorded program on the Tivo.  Unfortunately you cannot record to other equipment (VCR / DVD) any signal except a live signal (what you are watching).  This makes dumping programs off the Tivo inconvenient.   

AFloat said:
The boat will rock some but it doesn't lose the signal until the wind get above 30 knts and the boat really starts a rockin'. 
Well I would guess there is at least one other reason you might lose your signal due to the boat rockin---but, in that situation you probably wouldn't care anyway. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

My dish has arrived and it is sitting on a 5 foot pole (a steel pole so save the jokes) .
My concern about trees was all for naught as the required elevation of the dish was well above the tops.  Eventually I'll put it on the roof, but my installer would not mess with it because it is cedar shakes. (I know :()
Love the DVR and we hooked up the VCR as well.  Nice signal strength @ 103.  The only downer is that there is very little HD here in the sticks, so little that I skipped that option.
To celebrate the occasion I completed my first daytrade since moving.
300SHs ENG netting $61.00  Which happens to be $11.00 above my daily goal :LOL: :LOL: The nice thing about ER is you can lower your standards and goals. 8)
Thanks for the help in getting into Dishworld!

Back
Top Bottom