Any experts in Environmental Science? Info needed regarding higher education.

noelm

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello folks,

This question is for a student who is pursuing B. Sc. (3-year course) majoring in Environmental Science in India. She would like to pursue higher studies like Masters (MS) and so on in the same major. I have following questions from this student,

- Does this major have enough scope (with regards to job or career as such) in current state? Agreed that cllimatology and stuff becomes little controversial at a times, will you say that this major is good enough to pursue?
- With the limited courses available in India for this major, she may have to leave the country. Which universities in the US (or any other developed country) offer quality courses?
- I did a quick google search and there are a few universities offering this course. Since I am not from this field, I don't know, how to evaluate these universities and their courses. Is there any way that I can find, course at university X is better than the one at university Y?
- If you work in this field, do you have any advice for this student, with regards to specifics of the courses or even in general?

This student still has 2 more years to go before she finishes this course. I wonder if there is any way that she can do volunteer work with societies/institutes/NGOs working in the same field (and operate in India).

Thanks you very much in advance.

Since so many people believe we have already passed the tipping point, I would think a course or two related to remediation (geo-engineering) would be useful.

Thanks for an idea. I guess, she has a course in that too. I am not aware of specifics though.

I posted this question here, just because, if someone has worked in this field and esp. in hiring process, they know which schools are better than others. They also know more about daily working and the skillset needed for such jobs than a new grad that just started working.

Any reply is a useful reply.

Thanks again.

I'd highly recommend pursuing engineering flavor of environmental pursuits as opposed to pure science. I had a BS biology and was pursuing a MS in environmental science. Likely would have ended up working in regulatory field. Fortunately had an advisor professor who strongly recommended I pick up civil engineering degree. Added 1.5 years to regimen, but opened up a LOT more opportunity. YMMV.

I am sorry if I am being pushy, I will be glad if you could elaborate on how adding civil engg, in Environmental Science MS benefited you. If not in regulatory field, what kind of work do you do now and how closely its connected to Env. Sci. Major.

Apologies if it sounds dumb but I am neither of these so more info, the better it is.

My career started in consulting engineering, allowed me to get Professional Engineer registration. Then switched over to municipal engineering, was a utility director of water/sewer/solid waste for thirty years in two different major cities. i would guess off hand that on pure average the engineering credentials would add 25% or more to income. Admittedly, I didn't use the "engineering" that much in my utility director jobs as was more of a manager/administrator, but it is almost a requirement for this. My take is that providing safe water and sanitation is going to be a greater and greater challenge for all societies, and in general, it's an industry that really can't be "outsourced" overseas, so is a good career choice.

Thank you very much for this explanation, makes more sense to me now. Here is the twist, Indian education system is pathetic that it will not allow her to take any engineering credits. Such flexibility is just not present in the system. From your first post, I get it that you took these credit when you were doing MS, which university you got MS from (so that I can dig deeper in their program and find similar ones at other places) ?

Thanks in advance again.

I'm not sure what I did in the early 70's is comparable to what is available today. I had BS biology from Tulane, went to Kansas and did MS Environmental Health Engineering and BS Civil Engineering simultaneously; the last two took 2-1/2 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom