Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Harummmmphhhh....

Ok so in February 1977 a new bridge was completed connecting Dyersburg TN to MO. Since not much happened around our area, driving over the new bridge brought much excitement to us.

So, dh2b, another couple and I decided to make the journey late one Saturday afternoon. Before we got there, I decided we needed to do something that would enable us to make the christening of the bridge more memorable. We should ride over the bridge naked...yeah that was it! So with the heater on full blast, clothes being yanked off while sitting and a full case of oil in the back (for the Vega), we all stripped down. Funny thing is, I don't remember what was playing on the radio.

Y'all want pics....here ya go....
Not the pics I was looking for.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Not the pics I was looking for.........
Ok darlin'...I didn't know you were into bridges. So here...this is just for you....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01100.jpg (273.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok darlin'...I didn't know you were into bridges. So here...this is just for you....
I got plenty of bridges where I live. The car pic is cool....but, let me guess, no photos of the actual event captured for all eternity?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Alan, I have to say that your MIL's hat is a sight to behold.
Oh! I thought that was the Queen!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Chaos ensued. The wedding eventually proceeded but in retrospect it shouldn't have.
And are they still married?

The stag night sounded like a hoot.

Mine was a couple of weeks before the wedding just after the last lectures of the semester. Nothing out of the ordinary for a stag night. Woke up next day in a room with a few mates, the mandatory stolen police cones as trophies of the walk home. I couldn't remember about how the skin on my fingers was shredded or where the painful rashes on my arms had from until one of my mates said "you don't remember being chased by that police car?"

Then I recalled how I'd run down a dead end and scaled a tall chain link fence and dropped into a field on the other side in which was growing stinging nettles

No chance or attempt to hide tales from DW as all my friends were her friends (she was the only female in a class of 55 EE students). She was just pleased I hadn't badly injured myself
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Harummmmphhhh....

Ok so in February 1977 a new bridge was completed connecting Dyersburg TN to MO. Since not much happened around our area, driving over the new bridge brought much excitement to us.

So, dh2b, another couple and I decided to make the journey late one Saturday afternoon. Before we got there, I decided we needed to do something that would enable us to make the christening of the bridge more memorable. We should ride over the bridge naked...yeah that was it! So with the heater on full blast, clothes being yanked off while sitting and a full case of oil in the back (for the Vega), we all stripped down. Funny thing is, I don't remember what was playing on the radio.

Y'all want pics....here ya go....
Now, that is a date to remember
Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Alan, did you ever find the ring? Did you buy her a new one after the wedding? What a nightmare!
Yes, we did find the ring and she still has it today. Once we'd graduated, bought a house and got some money saved up I also bought a replacement engagement ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Alan, I have to say that your MIL's hat is a sight to behold.
Not half!!

It was interesting that all the women on DW's side of the family wore hats and none of the women on my side wore one so a complete stranger looking at our wedding photos could see which family the women belonged to
Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got plenty of bridges where I live. The car pic is cool....but, let me guess, no photos of the actual event captured for all eternity?
There might be one or two....but since I enjoy this forum I shall refrain from posting said photos as they would be considered naughty....
Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
There might be one or two....but since I enjoy this forum I shall refrain from posting said photos as they would be considered naughty....
You'd better PM them to the Moderator team and we'll look them over and let you know if you can post them
Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You'd better PM them to the Moderator team and we'll look them over and let you know if you can post them
Why...that is so gracious of you kind suh.... But first I'll wait a day or two so y'all can be fully prepared...
Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whcih is why I can't really post a lot of my own personal "dating stories"..........

Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whcih is why I can't really post a lot of my own personal "dating stories"..........
Uhhhhh...I talked about riding in a car naked....how could your stories be any more....uh, never mind. Gotcha...
Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Uhhhhh...I talked about riding in a car naked....how could your stories be any more....uh, never mind. Gotcha...

Old 03-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Only the booking photos, right?

Quote:
And are they still married?
Um, no. Barely made it three years. I think she transferred out of the next duty station before he did. Their surprising lack of disclosure antipodal opinions on this event barely scratched the surface of what they later officially documented as "irreconcilable differences".

What surprised me was how the ranks were divided. Over 2/3 of the guys thought I should've kept my mouth shut. About 7/8s of the spouses/girlfriends thought my spouse should've kept her mouth shut.* Apparently there are marriages out there being run differently than the one spouse and I have stumbled into. And clearly everyone forgot that during moments of extreme stress, junior officers have this unfortunate tendency to blurt out the truth.

Most of the guys didn't want to know where their spouses went on Ladies Nights, either. Yet I can't think of an easier way to get a spouse in the mood, so to speak. And all you have to do is get back home before they return, too.

* These were the same women who cut my spouse out of the herd at a beer-soaked multi-family BBQ & lawn party, six months after we married, and ruthlessly interrogated her on her shore-duty pregnancy plans. Next day I learned "someone" had let a rumor get started that submariners were usually rendered sterile from radiation exposure...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

In college, I was asked out by an extremely handsome younger man (he was 19, I was 20) who (I later realized) felt he had to put on an act to impress me (little knowing that he'd already accomplished that just by existing!!!) So when he asked me where I'd like to go for dinner, I mentioned a nice place that I knew had good food and was reasonable.

He stuck his nose in the air and said, rather hoity-toity, "Oh that place! It's noisy, full of kids." So I ventured to ask, "Well, what kind of place did you have in mind?" "Oh - a nice place. I figure if I can get out for less than $70.00, I'm doing good." [[Note: $70.00 then would be many times that now - and we are talking about un-rich student at a state school]]. So I said I would ask around and let him know.

So I told my mom that my boy friend had made fun of my restaurant choice, and did she know of a really nice place that he might find acceptable? She obliged with the name of a restaurant that her well-off friend had mentioned but that mom had never seen. And my date and I ended up in the most outrageously palatial restaurant I have seen before or since, being waited on hand and foot like royalty. I don't think it was quite what either of us was expecting but I must say he took it very well, although his wallet must have been very empty at the end of the evening. He must have been reaching through the bottoms of his pockets.....

But you know what? For all the gilt-edged pretension, the food wasn't very good.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
But you know what? For all the gilt-edged pretension, the food wasn't very good.
How about the boyfriend? - any more dates with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Apparently there are marriages out there being run differently than the one spouse and I have stumbled into.
Couldn't agree more, DW & I see them all the time, and usually wonder "what the heck are these guys doing married to one other?"
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

One of my more interesting dating experiences was with a nice guy from NYC who was visiting his Mom in Florida so we met . Really nice interesting guy , financially great ,very smart with one fatal flaw. He lived in NYC so he rarely drove . When we went out he took his mother's car and almost got us killed . I really wanted to tell him to pullover and I'd drive . He had no clue that he was a terrible driver .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, DW & I see them all the time, and usually wonder "what the heck are these guys doing married to one other?"
Every day that becomes more acceptable.

Ha
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
One of my more interesting dating experiences was with a nice guy from NYC who was visiting his Mom in Florida so we met . Really nice interesting guy , financially great ,very smart with one fatal flaw. He lived in NYC so he rarely drove . When we went out he took his mother's car and almost got us killed . I really wanted to tell him to pullover and I'd drive . He had no clue that he was a terrible driver .
Nice segue into my next dating story

When I was 18 I was working for my uncle part time and he had taught me to drive at 17 so I could drive his vans and help with his business. My Dad and I then bought the very first car the family had owned and I got to drive it pretty often. (it only cost ~$200 but it was a fantastic luxury for us). I was a senior at Grammar School where I mixed with lots of toffs who came from families with pots of money in a different town from myself. I invited one of these girls from the year below out for a date. (she was very personable as well as good looking and "classy" ). My plan was to pick her up and drive out to the ancient and beautiful city of Durham for an evening at a pub by the river.

It was all very romantic and once out into the beautiful countryside driving towards Durham I turned to her and said, "I know this sounds very corny but the car is breaking down and I don't know if we can make it back ". I had increasing difficulty getting the car to change gears (it was a stick shift). The clutch pedal finally went all limp and floppy (as did my ardor at that moment) and I managed to get it into 3rd gear. Fortunately in England there are roundabouts instead of STOP signs at many junctions and I managed to drive the 10 miles or so back to my home without having to stop or stall the engine. Taking her home was the very last thing I wanted to do as where I lived was an incredible dump - a pit village with row houses, very dirty place including dogs roaming free leaving their cr*p all over the sidewalks (no one dared wear open-toe sandals in my town ).

My parents had no idea I had gone out on a date, so were very surprised when I turned up and introduced her. After a few minutes I walked with her down to the sea front, dodging the aforementioned piles of poop, and we went into one of the few pubs that I would dare to take her. (there were plenty that didn't allow women at all and in some of the others the only way to tell the difference between the men and women was that the women removed the ciggy from their mouth before they spit).

At the end of the evening we walked to the bus station and I put her on a bus home and thought that was the end of that

However, she saw something redeeming in me and the following week at school she invited me out to see a movie (Jesus Christ Superstar) the following Saturday

That date went great and all went smoothly until she invited me to go to her house and have tea with her parents More on that later, I still get goosebumps just remembering that fateful night
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nice segue into my next dating story

When I was 18 I was working for my uncle part time and he had taught me to drive at 17 so I could drive his vans and help with his business. My Dad and I then bought the very first car the family had owned and I got to drive it pretty often. (it only cost ~$200 but it was a fantastic luxury for us). I was a senior at Grammar School where I mixed with lots of toffs who came from families with pots of money in a different town from myself. I invited one of these girls from the year below out for a date. (she was very personable as well as good looking and "classy" ). My plan was to pick her up and drive out to the ancient and beautiful city of Durham for an evening at a pub by the river.

It was all very romantic and once out into the beautiful countryside driving towards Durham I turned to her and said, "I know this sounds very corny but the car is breaking down and I don't know if we can make it back ". I had increasing difficulty getting the car to change gears (it was a stick shift). The clutch pedal finally went all limp and floppy (as did my ardor at that moment) and I managed to get it into 3rd gear. Fortunately in England there are roundabouts instead of STOP signs at many junctions and I managed to drive the 10 miles or so back to my home without having to stop or stall the engine. Taking her home was the very last thing I wanted to do as where I lived was an incredible dump - a pit village with row houses, very dirty place including dogs roaming free leaving their cr*p all over the sidewalks (no one dared wear open-toe sandals in my town ).

My parents had no idea I had gone out on a date, so were very surprised when I turned up and introduced her. After a few minutes I walked with her down to the sea front, dodging the aforementioned piles of poop, and we went into one of the few pubs that I would dare to take her. (there were plenty that didn't allow women at all and in some of the others the only way to tell the difference between the men and women was that the women removed the ciggy from their mouth before they spit).

At the end of the evening we walked to the bus station and I put her on a bus home and thought that was the end of that

However, she saw something redeeming in me and the following week at school she invited me out to see a movie (Jesus Christ Superstar) the following Saturday

That date went great and all went smoothly until she invited me to go to her house and have tea with her parents More on that later, I still get goosebumps just remembering that fateful night
Don't keep us waiting too long Alan. We need your stories!

Ha