Join Early Retirement Today

Any good books on aging in general
Old 08-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any good books on aging in general

Been doing a little looking for a great read on aging but really haven't found what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a request for a book for the golden years that maybe a good read?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was looking for a book like that, too, but most of what I found just repeated common sense advice. You know, remain socially connected, get exercise, have interesting and stimulating leisure pursuits, do something meaningful or worthwhile, take care of your health, etc. Nothing I hadn't heard before.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

^ yes that is what I found out also.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not that I know of. But it would be nice if there were seminars available at ages 40, 50, 60 and 70 to teach what to expect in the upcoming years.

Women and men have different health issues come up at different times. And so many problems might be avoided with proactive healthcare.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I was looking for a book like that, too, but most of what I found just repeated common sense advice. You know, remain socially connected, get exercise, have interesting and stimulating leisure pursuits, do something meaningful or worthwhile, take care of your health, etc. Nothing I hadn't heard before.
Maybe one of us should write one! Seems like I am learning about it on the fly, as I grow older.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The best outline for such a book is already written. E.g. imoldernu - 23 ( or more) years of retirement!
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
.........Women and men have different health issues come up at different times. And so many problems might be avoided with proactive healthcare.
This would make a good book topic.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande is a book everyone who is planning to die should read.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande is a book everyone who is planning to die should read.
I'm not planning to die...

Another good book on the subject is To Die Well, by Sidney Wanzer, MD, and Joseph Glenmullen, MD. How to avoid the misery of rotting away in a hospital bed or nursing home on your way out. But I don't think that's what the OP is asking for. He (or she) is asking about aging, not dying.

I actually think books on retirement have had more to say to me about growing older than books on aging. It's because the subject of retirement is reinventing or rethinking your life, rather than just "how to age gracefully" or whatever.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I'm not planning to die...

Another good book on the subject is To Die Well, by Sidney Wanzer, MD, and Joseph Glenmullen, MD. How to avoid the misery of rotting away in a hospital bed or nursing home on your way out. But I don't think that's what the OP is asking for. He (or she) is asking about aging, not dying.

I actually think books on retirement have had more to say to me about growing older than books on aging. It's because the subject of retirement is reinventing or rethinking your life, rather than just "how to age gracefully" or whatever.
I was being a little facetious. The book Being Mortal is not just about dying. It touches on a wide range of issues in later life, including death. I hope OP finds it of interest.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1
Old 08-13-2018, 03:35 AM   #12

Complete Tai-Chi, by Master Alfred Huang.

I recently took a class by him, titled Tai-Chi for Longevity, Health and Happiness. As he said, if you have longevity and no health, not happy. Alfred is now 97. Amazing person who survived almost two decades imprisonment during China's Cultual Revolution.

As one of my 75 year old friends, who has done TaiChi for years and also has a 3 golf handicap said, Tai Chi, it's a good way to age.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
I was being a little facetious. The book Being Mortal is not just about dying. It touches on a wide range of issues in later life, including death. I hope OP finds it of interest.
Oh, ok, I thought it was mostly about death. Haven't read it myself.

I was being facetious, too. I actually do plan on dying. Well, actually, I don't believe there's any such thing as death, but that's a different subject...
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Making the Most of Your Money Now
and
How to Make Your Money Last
by Jane Quinn

Plan Your Estate
by Denis Clifford for Nolo Press

Make your Own Living Trust
by Denis Clifford for Nolo Press

Living Trusts for Everyone:
Why a Will is Not the Way to Avoid Probate, Protect Heirs, and Settle Estates
by Ron Sharp

8 Ways to Avoid Probate
by Mary Randolph for Nolo Press

Long-term Care: How to Plan and Pay for it
by JL Matthews for Nolo Press

Look Before You LIRP
(about life insurance retirement plans)
by David McKnight

The Power of Zero: How to Get to the 0% Tax Bracket and Transform Your Retirement
by David McKnight
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote