Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any guys give up on their hair?
Old 12-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #1

Any guys give up on their hair?

I知 thinking about a buzz cut. Not really interested in shaving my head but thinking a very close clipper cut and being done with it. My hair chose to leave me and I suspect that I値l only have side hair in 5 to 10 years. When I get a hair cut, they always try to leave what is on top alone and I have to tell them that even if you comb it from front to back, it痴 still a comb over. I want no part of that.

So, I知 wondering if others have given up and if they池e happy with it. I thinking one of the main benefits is that in the summer when swimming, I can just use sunscreen instead of wearing a hat. Other times, it seems like just an easier way to deal with my head. No shampoo, no combing, no bed head, no hat head and what should be a pretty simple hair cut. Not sure if when you cut you hair that short if you still have to outline around the ears and the collar but still, that should be pretty easy for my daughter who now is the one cutting my hair since COVID.

So - keep what I have or just give up and move on?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lots of guys have the chrome dome look these days.
Sounds like you are leaning that way.
Still might want a hat so you don't blind the rest of us with the reflection.
Or get a sunburn.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #3

I keep my hair much shorter now but my hair hasn’t departed me enough to go for a full shave. I do see the possibility in my future.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had long blonde hair when I was in my teens and a shorter haircut in my twenties.Then it started to gradually grow thinner each year, beginning in my thirties. At 55, I still had plenty of hair on the sides and back but didn't like my haircuts on top. Bought a rechargeable hair cutter on line, and cut it off myself. The first time I cut it all off at the #1 setting. Later I switched to #1 on top and #2 on the sides and the back. No regrets at all. It's very freeing. My wife also agreed that it was time. Now I cut it every two weeks myself. Takes about ten minutes max.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much, yeah. Comb overs don't fool people, and when you're active it seems like it could really backfire. In my 40s I asked about propecia (I think that's the name?) but found it would prevent me from donating blood, so I never took it.

Now I get it cut to 1/4 to 1/8" all over, and when it gets scraggly I go back. I got some an electric clipper figuring it'd be easy enough, but it's surprisingly hard to get everything, plus getting it even at the bottom in the back, plus cleanup, and I decided I just like sitting in a comfy chair and having someone cut my hair. I did my own a few times in the pandemic but my barber is very careful with the protocols so I am back, and tipping heavier.

Not quite the buzz cut you are talking about, but close. I have a cowlick on a birthmark that quickly gets out of control so unless I want to maintain the close cut, I still have to take some care of it. I don't think I have a good head for a buzz cut or going full hairless. I still wear hats a lot but I'm not as self-conscious about it as I used to be. Now it's more to prevent sunburn and to shade my eyes. I guess balding at 60 is a lot different than balding at 40, and really, if that's a deal breaker for a woman it probably wasn't going to be a good match anyway. And it's not for many anyway.

So - whatever you are comfortable with is what you should go with. The beauty of it is that if it isn't what you want, it'll grow out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

The beauty of it is that if it isn't what you want, it'll grow out.

Unless it doesn't.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #7

From a woman's point of view (just this one at least), yes. A short buzz overall when one area is clearly thinning is a far better look than an unbalanced look. I think a short buzz, at that point, says "yeah, whatever, I'm dealing with it and not trying to fool anyone, bring it" and shows some confident acceptance.

ETA: When you do it first, go to a pro, don't make your daughter do a big change.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #8

I don't think of myself as having given up on it. I'm just dealing with it in an age-appropriate manner. I've been cutting it myself for about 15 years. Not bald, maybe "half mood rising" receding from the front. No more JFK pompador. I bought an electric barber clipper set. 1/2 inch attachment all teh way around. 1/4" at the neck and sides and a couple times a week 1/8" on the sideburns. I cut it every day. Get up in the morning... BZZZT... BZZZT .. BZZZT. Takes less time than shaving. And if you cut it everyday there's no mess or hair to pick up like if you were to cut it every few weeks like normal people.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #9

I cut it every day.

I don't even want to shave every day.

Otoh, if I let it go very many days it becomes a big pain to shave.

Or I can wait longer and grow a beard, which eventually needs trimming. Arggh.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #10

Couldn't resist:

Old 12-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

Eggsellent. Had to listen.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #12

Sometime in my 50s I developed the super power of invisibility. Nobody cares about (what's left of) my hair. I share that sentiment. I hack it back with clippers whenever it gets in my way - every month or two. Good enough for me.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #13
Administrator

I've still got plenty of hair, although I have no interest in how it looks, particularly given that I never see it except when I'm shaving in the morning. About once a month, the young wife decides that I look too shaggy, so she cuts it. I let her do whatever she wants with it.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I still have a full head of hair, though I'm pretty much at my natural ash blonde color.

HOWEVER, I find that shaving your head or buzzing is a STRONG move, and much better than other options if you are getting thin. And it shows you have a plan, living in vision, not in circumstance.

Another strong move might be to add facial hair if you do not have any. Lots of stylish options.

I say go strong, make no excuses, no apologies.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I buzz mine at 1/4 inch every two weeks. So easy to care for and always looks the same. I have been buzz cutting mine for 15 years now. I'm all gray for many years now and saves me time and money.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Instill have a full head of hair, though I'm pretty much at my natural ash blonde color.

HOWEVER, I find that shaving your head or buzzing is a STRONG move, and much better than other options if you are getting thin. And it shows you have a plan, living in vision, not in circumstance.

I say go strong, make no excuses, no apologies.

So, no plugs or transplants for you then.

I let her do whatever she wants with it.

And Gumby is very trusting.

I can't grow my rock and roll hair any more.
It ends up looking like Krusty the Clown.

But I have a guy I trust who is quick and does a nice job and is not expensive. It's a trifecta! LOL.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
So, no plugs or transplants for you then.
I think for a younger person that can make sense. Also expensive and risky. I think you have to be careful to not appear to be trying too hard to cheat father time or mother nature. But ultimately whatever works. Make sure people aren't snickering a la certain politicians. Just my opinion.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
From a woman's point of view (just this one at least), yes. A short buzz overall when one area is clearly thinning is a far better look than an unbalanced look. I think a short buzz, at that point, says "yeah, whatever, I'm dealing with it and not trying to fool anyone, bring it" and shows some confident acceptance.
Exactly. From this 73-year-old woman's point of view (anyway), a nice option is to just keep it looking neat/tidy. If it's tame enough to not frighten me then that'll work.

Maybe slowly transition towards something like this as you age? I found this image online, so I don't know who it is but I think he looks very neat and attractive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manly_haircut.jpg (17.4 KB, 331 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I shave my head, every other day. Takes a few minutes in the shower. I love it, my wife loves it and I get guesses of my age 10 years younger.
I started thinning in my 40’s and vowed to never have a comb-over.
Very happy.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Exactly. From this 73-year-old woman's point of view (anyway), a nice option is to just keep it looking neat/tidy. If it's tame enough to not frighten me then that'll work.

Maybe slowly transition towards something like this as you age? I found this image online, so I don't know who it is but I think he looks very neat and attractive.
Terry Bradshaw, former NFL QB and Hall-of-Famer, now an NFL studio analyst, I guess is what you'd call him. He was going bald in his playing days in his 30s. He doesn't always look so kempt though I don't watch those NFL pre-game and half time shows much anymore.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote