Join Early Retirement Today

Any Home Coffee Roasters?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any Home Coffee Roasters?

I've been buying roasted coffee beans for years and grind what's needed each morning. One thing I noticed is the freshness of the beans purchased can be hit and miss. Decided a couple months ago to try roasting 'green' coffee beans at home. The benefit of buying green beans, besides being cheaper, is that they have a very long shelf life if stored properly. You can spend $100's of dollars for a specialized home coffee roaster but many get buy with a frying pan. I've been using a Whirley Pop popcorn maker to roast my beans and it works great. The roasting process takes about 9-12 minutes, maybe another 10 minutes to cool the beans down and remove the chaff. I roast enough to last me a week. It does take some practice to get the right roasting temperature but with practice it's fairly easy to adjust to your preferred roast type (dark, medium, light). Makes a great fresh cup of coffee.

Anyone else roasting their coffee beans at home?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #2

Not roasting coffee at home but you should try Dunkin Donuts original blend ground coffee or beans. It makes a great espresso and cappuccino or regular drip coffee. I
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:36 AM   #3

Never done it but I have been tempted to try - where do you buy the green beers?
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #4

My palate is not sophisticated enough to appreciate that sort of thing, but I have a friend who is truly a foodie. He also roasts green beans every day to make his coffee and he says it made such a huge difference that he was amazed.

I probably couldn't taste any difference but he definitely can.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:03 AM   #5

I purchase a lot of items for my passion at morebeer.com and morewine.com. They also have a morecoffee.com website that I'm sure has quality products as well.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, for 3 years. I use a behmor 1600 and buy beans from sweet Maria's. It is such an amazing difference and much cheaper than buying inferior roasted coffee.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Some of the commercial roasters that sell roasted coffee beans also sell green beans. I'm new to it so still in the testing phase. I picked up a sample pack of 5 different coffee beans (2lbs each) from Bodhi Leaf Coffee, very pleased with what I've roasted so far. If going for a dark roast the beans will give out a lot of smoke, either need a real good exhaust vent on the stove or do it outside. I do the roasting outside using my camping stove.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I alternate between Kirkland ground coffee and grinding Kirkland beans of various kinds, but I'm too lazy to roast/grind beans on any regular basis...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yup, for 3 years. I use a behmor 1600 and buy beans from sweet Maria's. It is such an amazing difference and much cheaper than buying inferior roasted coffee.
The instructions I'm using for stovetop roasting came from Sweet Maria's. I could see myself moving to a specialized roasting machine before too long.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I drink Turkish/Greek coffee and I was buying Sweet Maria's and roasting it in a popcorn popper, but I have all but abandoned that because a) I love the flavor of Dunkin Donuts coffee b) my local Dunkin has a 2 lbs for $12 special on Mondays, which is cheaper than unroasted from Sweet Maria's, especially when shipping is included, not even including the electricity running the popper and my time doing the roasting. To me, home roasting is slightly better taste-wise, but not enough to justify the expense and effort.
Dunkin's app also gives me free stuff. And AARP gets me a free donut!
No, I don't work for Dunkin, lol.
ExitLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitLeft View Post
I drink Turkish/Greek coffee and I was buying Sweet Maria's and roasting it in a popcorn popper, but I have all but abandoned that because a) I love the flavor of Dunkin Donuts coffee b) my local Dunkin has a 2 lbs for $12 special on Mondays, which is cheaper than unroasted from Sweet Maria's, especially when shipping is included, not even including the electricity running the popper and my time doing the roasting. To me, home roasting is slightly better taste-wise, but not enough to justify the expense and effort.
Dunkin's app also gives me free stuff. And AARP gets me a free donut!
No, I don't work for Dunkin, lol.
I tend to find Dunkin coffee bland. A lot of the more premium coffees are extremely over-roasted to my taste. So roasting my own lets me pick what I like and roast it to the level I prefer. If your tastes are such that Dunkin does it for you, more power to ya.

- George Orwell

Old 07-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a ~28 year veteran of the coffee trade (and co-author of a book on coffee, "Coffee Basics") I thought I'd weigh in here with a bit of advice.

Home roasting is definitely the way to go if you want to have control of quality, degree of roast and freshness and don't mind a bit of work. If on the other hand you are happy with the beans you can buy at the supermarket or Starbucks just buy the big bags at Costco and freeze what you don't use in a week.

Sweet Maria's is not only the place to buy your green coffee, it is far and away the best source of info on coffee altogether on the web, including brewer and grinder info and much more.

As for roasters, one of the models of home air popcorn poppers Sweet Maria's sells, or the venerable Poppery 2 sold on Ebay, along with a starter kit of green from SM's, will give you an idea of whether home roasting is for you. You'll only get enough beans for one pot at a time though and the roast isn't super-even.

Next step up is the Behmor for just under $200 and it does a great job - as long as you aren't into super-dark roasts.

I favor the Kenyas and Ethiopians that Sweet Maria's sells and those coffees in particular sell very quickly. For $6-8 a pound including shipping and in-roaster shrink you can be drinking coffee that is as good or better than the $20-25 for twelve ounces stuff sold by your local boutique roaster, with no side serving of attitude or $5 pour-over brews required.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Administrator

A very helpful post, Kevink. Thanks!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

A side note on the behmor is that you can get darker roasts by slightly reducing roast weight, such as 7.5 ounces for the 8 ounce roast setting.

- George Orwell

Roasting Coffee
Old 07-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #15

Roasting Coffee

If you go to the sister site Discuss Cooking, there is a thread on roasting coffee.
If you ever wanted to roast your own coffee... - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
It is quite informative.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
If you go to the sister site Discuss Cooking, there is a thread on roasting coffee.
If you ever wanted to roast your own coffee... - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
It is quite informative.
Thanks for the link, souschef! Very helpful
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #17

I had a pal, who got for an engagement gift a MR coffee type pot with a grinder for the whole beans. Was the morning coffee good? yes it was. it was very good. The grinding noise at 530 am was loud enough to wake the dead.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
A side note on the behmor is that you can get darker roasts by slightly reducing roast weight, such as 7.5 ounces for the 8 ounce roast setting.
Yes indeed and Sweet Maria's offers a good tip sheet on how to do this safely. However (as a long-time former employee of "Charbucks") I do want to caution that "dark" on the Behmor means a bit into the Vienna roast range - which in Starbucks terms is "medium" - think House Blend or Pike Place. Seriously dark roasts like Italian or French will result in a roaster fire. Those kinds of roasts can be done on a Gene Cafe or Hot Top, but honestly if you like your coffee French Roasted you're better off buying it at Costco as what you're tasting is carbon (Starbucks and Peet's French is ~21% by weight) not coffee.

The Gene Cafe, by the way, is a big step up from the Behmor in process control and you can really see the beans during roasting and stop the roast whenever you choose, but at $585.00 I can't honestly recommend it over the Behmor for 90%+ of potential home roasters. In truth if you take the time to get good at using a hot-air popcorn roaster you may need to go no further. Sweet Maria's has tip sheets (and probably You Tube videos) of all of this stuff.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Yes indeed and Sweet Maria's offers a good tip sheet on how to do this safely. However (as a long-time former employee of "Charbucks") I do want to caution that "dark" on the Behmor means a bit into the Vienna roast range - which in Starbucks terms is "medium" - think House Blend or Pike Place. Seriously dark roasts like Italian or French will result in a roaster fire. Those kinds of roasts can be done on a Gene Cafe or Hot Top, but honestly if you like your coffee French Roasted you're better off buying it at Costco as what you're tasting is carbon (Starbucks and Peet's French is ~21% by weight) not coffee.

The Gene Cafe, by the way, is a big step up from the Behmor in process control and you can really see the beans during roasting and stop the roast whenever you choose, but at $585.00 I can't honestly recommend it over the Behmor for 90%+ of potential home roasters. In truth if you take the time to get good at using a hot-air popcorn roaster you may need to go no further. Sweet Maria's has tip sheets (and probably You Tube videos) of all of this stuff.
Agreed on all counts. I don't understand the huge amounts of money people spend for what amounts to single origin, sustainably-sourced charcoal. By the time you roast stuff as far as Starbucks does, almost all the interesting varietal characters have been burnt. Why bother?

The other plus of the Behmor is that it will do a full pound of green beans at a time. The other hobbyist roasters generally do half a pound at most.

- George Orwell

Old 07-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Next step up is the Behmor for just under $200 and it does a great job - as long as you aren't into super-dark roasts.
Is there more than one Behmor model? I could only find the 1600 and that goes for about $370 new.