Any MINI owners out there who have experienced drained batteries?

I did some research and there are tools on Amazon you can buy to reset/code Mini/BMW systems when things like batteries are changed. There are a few other items that when replaced require similar coding as the battery. The tools start at about $75 and go up from there. But for the average Joe or Josephene, it is not a viable option. So, they end up at the "Stealer" getting robbed.

Lots of great ideas and input shared, thank you all. We are not DIY car mechanics so we took it to a local shop that specializes in BMW’s and MINI’s. Initially he quoted us $350 to register and replace the battery, but after examination of the car, he said the electrical system had totally “reset” after the battery had died and he could not fix it. Said we have to take it to a MINI dealer.

To add insult to injury, the closest MINI dealer is 63 miles from us. I had assumed that a BMW dealer could work on a MINI, and also assumed that we wouldn’t be using the dealer for service. Having to drive 126 miles to get service will be a big pain! I obviously should have researched this further. I’ve driven Japanese cars, most recently a Lexus, most of my life so I hope I don’t regret this purchase!

This thread has been a good eye-opening learning experience. We will not be buying a Mini anytime soon. I do not think I would lease one either. Shame as DW likes them.

I wonder how easy it is to research a car for hidden issues like this. When I was having issues with a car (now deceased) there were loads of sites (including YouTube) that helped diagnose the problems. BUT these sites were for relatively old cars. It's not likely batteries would become a major issue until 3 or 4 years after sale. By then, let us hope that car mfgs. would have solved such issues. So, for used cars, research might work. But for new cars, I wonder if there is much available information.

... but after examination of the car, he said the electrical system had totally “reset” after the battery had died and he could not fix it. Said we have to take it to a MINI dealer.

To add insult to injury, the closest MINI dealer is 63 miles from us. ...

Wow, that's bad. It's crazy to make things so complicated for the consumer. And much of this just isn't transparent, unless you do a lot of research, you would not know about things like this if/until it happens to you.

On the flip side, you've got Tesla providing over-the-air fixes for some things, and this sounds like something that could be accommodated this way. I'm hopeful that other companies are "shamed" into providing more convenience for the customer, rather than making them jump through hoops like this.

I really have to wonder just how important this battery profiling is? Not to sound too "back in the old days-ish", but it seems like car charging systems have worked pretty well based on a generic algorithm for charging. Maybe AGM should be a bit different than regular lead-acid, but it's probably minor.

At any rate, there's no reason these couldn't be set by going through a routine on the touch screen, requiring a visit to the shop and/or special tools is abuse.

-ERD50

I wonder how easy it is to research a car for hidden issues like this. ...

I recall trying to look for that info, but I didn't get anywhere useful.

I recalled there was some car that would ring up a multi hundred $$$ bill to replace a burned out headlight! Seems it involved removing the bumper or something to get to it, and was very labor intensive.

I wanted to avoid that foolishness, or at least get it in writing from the dealer that any/all future lamp replacements would be done gratis (I'd provide the lamp).

-ERD50

I recall there was some car, where you had to lift the engine a bit to replace a spark plug.
Problem is the unfortunate consumer has no idea of the repair trap on a car.
Glad I never liked the mini.

Lots of great ideas and input shared, thank you all. We are not DIY car mechanics so we took it to a local shop that specializes in BMW’s and MINI’s. Initially he quoted us $350 to register and replace the battery, but after examination of the car, he said the electrical system had totally “reset” after the battery had died and he could not fix it. Said we have to take it to a MINI dealer.

To add insult to injury, the closest MINI dealer is 63 miles from us. I had assumed that a BMW dealer could work on a MINI, and also assumed that we wouldn’t be using the dealer for service. Having to drive 126 miles to get service will be a big pain! I obviously should have researched this further. I’ve driven Japanese cars, most recently a Lexus, most of my life so I hope I don’t regret this purchase!

This is why "right to repair" legislation is so necessary on a federal level. And not just for the automotive industry.

I recall there was some car, where you had to lift the engine a bit to replace a spark plug.

That was the late '70s Chevy Monza and its badge-engineered brethren with the optional V8 engine.

Just be glad that's the only thing wrong with it. I worked for a family of dealerships for awhile shortly after retirement from Megacorp and when they took one in trade, it always went right to the auction.

On the BMW's you can replace the battery to get you going and register it a short time later. This may be an option for you with the Mini.

Last edited:
Just be glad that's the only thing wrong with it. I worked for a family of dealerships for awhile shortly after retirement from Megacorp and when they took one in trade, it always went right to the auction.

On the BMW's you can replace the battery to get you going and register it a short time later. This may be an option for you with the Mini.

Sorry, I think I missed it. Registration?

I have my car/truck batteries changed out at Sam's every 3 years, whether they need it or not. After looking at my 2019 Avalon manual it looked like it was going to be a big pain, but it was a non-event. Surprising, the second change out on my 2016 Subaru Outback resulted in my window not working right. After reviewing its manual it was an easy fix to reset them, but it did catch me off guard.

Registration is the term BMW uses when they program the car to the new battery after a new battery that is installed.

Okay, thanks. Don't really understand why that would be needed, but I know very little about such things. Heh, heh, I figure a battery is a battery. Oh, well.

Okay, thanks. Don't really understand why that would be needed, but I know very little about such things. Heh, heh, I figure a battery is a battery. Oh, well.

We didn’t know this either but apparently for both BMW’s and MINI’s, the consumer can’t just replace the battery. Every other car we’ve ever had, we could just go down to an auto parts store and swap it out and be good to go. Live and learn.

I did research the reliability of MINI’s before buying, including talking with a good friend who owns a 2015. She’s never had any issues with hers, and from what I read online, MINI owners seem to love their cars. The reliability rating isn’t as good as most Japanese cars, but it wasn’t bad.

One mistake I made was assuming that the local BMW dealership could service the MINI in the event that the local mechanic couldn’t. I had no idea we would have to drive 126 miles round trip for any service requirements at the dealership. I also didn’t realize how different these cars are from Japanese cars. There are many things that work very differently, most of which I have not learned yet. I need to make a list of things I don’t know and read the manual.

Hopefully I won’t regret not shelling out almost $4K for the third party extended warranty.

I doubt we would have devoted 3 pages of a thread if it was not. :)

I doubt we would have devoted 3 pages of a thread if it was not. :)

I dunno. I read some of the sites/videos on this, and it seems odd. Supposedly, the car wants to know the age of the battery (and I guess other info), to know what voltage to use to charge it. I read that older batteries need higher voltage.

I suspect BS. I don't know of any chargers out there that ask for this info, and they seem to work fine - why does BMW need this? With an ammeter/sensor for the the alternator, (one cable into the battery) and another ammeter/sensor in the lead going to the car (minus the starter cable), the difference is going into the battery. Varying the voltage and checking the current should tell you more about the battery condition and charge state than age. I could see where AGM/GEL/liquid might be important (maybe?), but again, that should be a simple entry on a "technician" screen on the touch display. Requiring a cable and a laptop and USB or Ethernet (! - how many laptops have an Ethernet port these days?) is crazy, or just a money grab. Screw 'em.

-ERD50

I also didn’t realize how different these cars are from Japanese cars. There are many things that work very differently, most of which I have not learned yet. I need to make a list of things I don’t know and read the manual.

Yes, the Germans and the Japanese make cars that are much different.

Also, BMW dealers are known for handing customer's "legendary invoices"!:LOL:

Well, I’m feeling better about this tonight. DH took the car to the MINI dealer. The dead battery was manufactured in 2017. The new battery has been installed and all of the electrical system was checked out and everything is in good working order now. It did set us back quite a bit - over $500 - but at least it’s fixed and it wasn’t a major electrical system breakdown. He also got a chance to ask several questions we had and learn more about the car.

Hopefully we won’t have to make frequent trips to the dealer. Not only is it expensive, but it’s also very inconvenient. I’m grateful the car is fixed and hope it will be reliable. It’s definitely cute and fun to drive, so I plan on enjoying it now that I can drive again following my rotator cuff surgery. The weather will be cooling off soon so I’ll be able to drive around with the top down, capitalizing on the fun factor!

Well, I’m feeling better about this tonight. DH took the car to the MINI dealer. The dead battery was manufactured in 2017. The new battery has been installed and all of the electrical system was checked out and everything is in good working order now. It did set us back quite a bit - over $500 - but at least it’s fixed and it wasn’t a major electrical system breakdown. He also got a chance to ask several questions we had and learn more about the car.

Hopefully we won’t have to make frequent trips to the dealer. Not only is it expensive, but it’s also very inconvenient. I’m grateful the car is fixed and hope it will be reliable. It’s definitely cute and fun to drive, so I plan on enjoying it now that I can drive again following my rotator cuff surgery. The weather will be cooling off soon so I’ll be able to drive around with the top down, capitalizing on the fun factor!

My last battery change cost $200. Most I've ever been charged. Usually, a battery will let you limp into (in my case) "Battery Bill's." But this time, it was just dead - no amount of jumping, etc. would get it going. SO, I called my insurance co. to take advantage of their road service. Best they could offer was some kid picking up a battery from a parts store, bringing it to me and installing it. Not at all happy with the whole thing. The kid tried to change the price on me and I told him he could just take the battery back (heh, heh) and I'd call the insurance company for someone else. SO, not a good experience, but "only" $200. I just can't imagine $500 for a battery. No Mini in my future. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom