Join Early Retirement Today

"Any money she had, she spent on cat food."
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Any money she had, she spent on cat food."

Volunteers save Blanco County 'cat colony'

Why is it always an old woman with cat food? Why don't men do this? Or do they?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People who do this are called "hoarders". For whatever reason, the animal collectors tend to be women. I can't really comment on the psychology of this. Maybe it has something to do with a misplaced nurturing instinct. The old men would rather spend their money on beer and tobacco I'm guessing. I know of what I speak as I work in this area on occasion. In fifteen years I have only encountered one man who was a cat hoarder. He had fifteen in a trailer and he didn't clean up after them. Gave them each a can of food a day but some of the healthier, more aggressive cats stole the food from the weaker, sicker ones. When the animals are removed, it is not uncommon for these individuals to start collecting again. Most of the time a guardian is appointed to take charge of the situation and the person is placed.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I agree, almost always women, but I dunno why. They do it with dogs, too. We've got a potential one joined up with our rescue group that we are trying to work with. Nightmare.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We just had a local case where a guy had 250 Chihuahuas in his house. 150 of 'em dead in a freezer. At least they didn't escape and terrorize the neighborhood.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009...-Michigan.html
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Men may not be animal collectors as often as women, but some men do hoard tools, guns, old cars, and/or motorcycles.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
We just had a local case where a guy had 250 Chihuahuas in his house.
Yikes. Yo quiero a LOT of Taco Bell there.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

What is it with Blanco TX this week--cat colony and chupacabra in the press--

Mysterious creature draws world's gaze to taxidermy school - CNN.com
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think the news media is attempting to white wash the town's name.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #9

Hey no one wants to know what I hoard...
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm a little less than an hour's drive from Blanco and I never knew they had a taxidermy school...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
People who do this are called "hoarders". For whatever reason, the animal collectors tend to be women. I can't really comment on the psychology of this. Maybe it has something to do with a misplaced nurturing instinct. The old men would rather spend their money on beer and tobacco I'm guessing.
It has a lot to do with security, and guys rarely hoard animals when they can hoard inanimate objects.

Spouse has discovered the A&E TV show "Hoarders". (Hey, it's August reruns and there's nothing to watch.) These people will scare the bejeezus out of you... especially if you have aging parents who tend to be somewhat reclusive. The food hoarders-- holy crap.

Now when spouse brings home another $1 tchotchke from a garage sale, I keep my mouth shut.

When you watch the website's archived episodes, keep in mind that these are hoarders who have sought help and are hypothetically getting better. I can only imagine the state of mind of the people who avoid the public eye and refuse counseling/treatment.

I'm not looking for a job, but I wonder what the cash flow of a 1-800-GOT-JUNK franchise is...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse has discovered the A&E TV show "Hoarders". (Hey, it's August reruns and there's nothing to watch.) These people will scare the bejeezus out of you... especially if you have aging parents who tend to be somewhat reclusive. The food hoarders-- holy crap.
I have not watched the show but it sounds interesting. My mother who lives alone has been known to stock up on meat on sale to the point of overflowing her refrigerator and had to "borrow" room in her friend's refrigerator. Good grief! She was afraid to come to me and my siblings for fear of having to listen to our lectures! And she is not a recluse, in fact an extrovert.

Even in this hog-heaven modern society, the fear of going hungry and the greed of having to pass up on a good sale are difficult to overcome. We ourselves have to keep from overbuying when the local food stores have a good sale. I need to keep reminding my wife that we do not really eat that much, and that there is always a store having a sale every week.

PS. Just watched a bit of "Hoarders" on the Web. No, my mother is not a hoarder compared to these people!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm a little less than an hour's drive from Blanco and I never knew they had a taxidermy school...
Probably you've been too focused on dodging the chupacabras to notice.

I wonder if anyone is hoarding chupacabras (yes, I do like saying that word).
Old 09-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Probably you've been too focused on dodging the chupacabras to notice.

I wonder if anyone is hoarding chupacabras (yes, I do like saying that word).
Useless trivia: The winning team on the first season of VH1's "World Series of Pop Culture" was called "El Chupacabra."

As Casey Stengel once remarked, "You can look it up."
Old 09-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hoarding makes me nervous.....I like to throw/donate/clean every few months to the point of spartan.....is that a problem?
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Only if you are tossing out hundreds of cats, chihuahuas, chupacabras, or any combination thereof.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
ISpouse has discovered the A&E TV show "Hoarders". (Hey, it's August reruns and there's nothing to watch.) These people will scare the bejeezus out of you... especially if you have aging parents who tend to be somewhat reclusive. The food hoarders-- holy crap.

OK, I thought the "Clean House" cases were bad. Cleaning out a place with a snow shovel? Yow. Too much stuff.

I feel better about cleaning out the garage now.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #18

We watched Hoarders the first couple of weeks, however now we can not bear to watch the show now as it is so scary. First reaction after you finish watching an episode is to roam the house looking to see what you can throw out. DH was so frustrated as they seemed more concerned about the feelings of the hoarder rather than the suffering of those who were having to live with the consequence of the hoarder.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote