Any opinions on the "Daily Reckoning" website?

SLC Tortfeasor

Recycles dryer sheets
Okay, smart folks, I just stumbled across a website that seems interesting.  I found it through Paul Terhorst's website. It's called the "Daily Reckoning," and it seems to be just the kind of place many of the people here would like to frequent.

I'm not going to post a link here, because I don't want anyone to think I'm spamming.  I'm just genuinely curious as to what those of you who have seen it think about it. 

If you really want to check it out I'm sure you can easily find it via Google.

This is the first time that I've found myself agreeing with the NYT: "The Daily Reckoning is a free-wheeling Web site for libertarians, gold bugs, and doom enthusiasts of every stripe."

I don't think they're talking about the computer game, either.

If you have some loose change/mad money - like rocks of all sorts - have a mining engineer brother in law like me - read some Doug Casey - I believe he was mentioned by the Terhorst's - and be prepared to enter the wild and wooly world of - er ah 'resource investing.'

Wanna buy a gold mine in Colorado:confused:?

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

Agora Publishing is behind all these newsletters. Bill Bonner is the head honcho. He is a really good marketer. He is also a very entertaining writer; erudite, irreverent, and well worth reading.

Almost all their newsletter writers and editorialist are good writers. Just remember at all times- they are trying to sell you something.

Ha

The good thing about the Daily Reckoning is that you only need to read it for about a week. After that you've seen all they have to offer. In a nutshell, the US is going crater economically, Greenspan is an idiot and you better buy gold. They don't know when it's coming "dear reader" but they're sure it's coming. Yeah, for about 4 years now.

I have a buddy at work who reads it daily. He also has tax free munies in his 401k, drives the biggest SUV at 54 miles an hour because he's sure the biggest vehicle wins (i.e. passengers live) in a car crash, insists the only boat to own is a boston whaler because you can cut it in half and both halves float, thinks the world is going to end...etc., etc.

It's amusing, but it gets old.

I've got Muni Closed-end funds like NUV in my IRAs.
5% annual return plus 6% appreciation since April.
Has been a good alternative to Money Market right now.
Although they could easily go down from here.
I didn't expect they could gain in value like that.

DanTien said:
I've got Muni Closed-end funds like NUV  in my IRAs.
5% annual return plus 6% appreciation since April.
Has been a good alternative to Money Market right now.
Although they could easily go down from here.
I didn't expect they could gain in value like that.
He may have been referring to the placement of a tax free investment in a tax deferred account.

JPatrick said:
He may have been referring to the placement of a tax free investment in a tax deferred account.

Correct, I also mis-typed and said Muni when I should have said MM (Money market). Sorry!

JPatrick said:

Thats what I'm talking about, unless I'm missing something.
Its counterintuitive to have a tax-deferred investment in a tax-deferred account - you don't get the full benefit
But you can still get a good return in a market like we've had lately. Good return is a good return no matter the instrument. That's what I'm trying to say.
Sorry if it is off topic.
DanTien

unclemick2 said:
If you have some loose change/mad money - like rocks of all sorts - have a mining engineer brother in law like me - read some Doug Casey - I believe he was mentioned by the Terhorst's - and be prepared to enter the wild and wooly world of - er ah 'resource investing.'

Wanna buy a gold mine in Colorado:confused:?

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

Unclemick:

Your mention of Doug Casey, brought back some not so great memories.
Howard Ruff, Harry Browne, Doug Casey, the big 3 of alternative investments in the 70's, when it appeared we were all going to "hell in a handbasket", investment-wise.

I read all 3 of their books, and was impressed enough to follow up on some of their suggestions, and still trying to remove them from my memory bank. ;)

Should have paid attention to the other big 3 of the time. Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicholas, and Gary Player. No harm no foul there.

This go-around, I have promised myself to stay far, far away from the radical types.

I'm going down with the ship :D

It is always predicting doom, but the reasoning is sometimes interesting to ponder. I read it to counter balance some of the more roseate opinions I read. I like to ponder both sides of the issue before deciding.

It's probably wise to apply a liberal dose of skepticism to every soure of information. (No pun intended)

If you aren't cynical, you just aren't paying attention! ::)

ex-Jarhead said:
Unclemick:

Your mention of Doug Casey, brought back some not so great memories.
Howard Ruff, Harry Browne, Doug Casey, the big 3 of alternative investments in the 70's, when it appeared we were all going to "hell in a handbasket", investment-wise.

I read all 3 of their books, and was impressed enough to follow up on some of their suggestions, and still trying to remove them from my memory bank. ;)

Should have paid attention to the other big 3 of the time. Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicholas, and Gary Player. No harm no foul there.

This go-around, I have promised myself to stay far, far away from the radical types.

I'm going down with the ship :D
Bingo! (Bells clanging). I reckon we have a winner. Dunno why the Terhorsts would have anything to do with this, but not for me. ;) All hail John Bogle! And JarHead, since you missed that other Big Three, the Tiger seems to win a lot, almost daily by my reckoning.

Eagle43 said:
Bingo! (Bells clanging).  I reckon we have a winner.  Dunno why the Terhorsts would have anything to do with this, but not for me.   ;)  All hail John Bogle! And JarHead, since you missed that other Big Three, the Tiger seems to win a lot, almost daily by my reckoning.

Eagle43: Yep, Tiger is probably the most dominent player to ever pick up a club.

In my opinion, he won't lose that position to anybody that is on the tour now.

What I think is probably likely to happen, because of the popularity of Junior Golf, is that there will be a player or two in that group that will give him the best run for the money.

I have worked a lot with the junior golf program locally, and these kids are doing amazing things compared to past generations at the same age.

I'm reasonably confident that there are a number of 12 & 13 year old kids out there that will put a bit of a squeeze on Tigers dominence in the years to come.

Fun to speculate. ;)

Back
Top Bottom