Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I wanted to go RAID with some Raptor drives (10,000 RPM SATA), but the cost makes me say caviar will do just fine. What happens if a power supply can't handle your rig? Does it just power down? I'm imagining a brown on my PC...
I have some Raptors in one server, nice drives but for a desktop not worth the money. Plus I don't think you will be doing a lot of read/writes for gaming. If you were video editing or other hard drive intensive processes then maybe.

If you run out of power your will probably get some black screens or system crashes. Depending on the amount of the power consumed during POST it might not boot up and you will hear a beep from the motherboard.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

See this...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ply#post489510
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I wanted to go RAID with some Raptor drives (10,000 RPM SATA), but the cost makes me say caviar will do just fine. What happens if a power supply can't handle your rig? Does it just power down? I'm imagining a brown on my PC...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
If you run out of power your will probably get some black screens or system crashes. Depending on the amount of the power consumed during POST it might not boot up and you will hear a beep from the motherboard.
I've had failed boots (boot drive doesn't spin up fast enough in time for the BIOS to recognize it), BIOS not recognizing all hardware components if they don't spin up fast enough, black screens (even though the HD is still spinning), occasional RAM errors, and bizarre screen-dump crashes.

My favorite symptoms, though, are the sharp "BANG!!", flash of light, flames shooting out of the power-supply vents, and burning insulation. But those symptoms don't usually repeat themselves...

You might also want to make sure that your ultimate machine is never plugged into a GFCP receptacle or a circuit with a GFCP breaker. There's something about the power supply (Ground? Capacitor charging up?) that causes a momentary current leak on bootup, and if there's another load already running on the circuit then the GFCP decides it's a fault and trips. GFCPs are usually only an issue for kitchens, bathrooms, and outdoor receptacles.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
My favorite symptoms, though, are the sharp "BANG!!", flash of light, flames shooting out of the power-supply vents, and burning insulation. But those symptoms don't usually repeat themselves...

Of course, people who buy Intel based machines instead of AMD based ones are completely unfamiliar with this sort of behavior.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of PC games, been a really dry year so far. Kinda bored must have new games!

Being a gamer really helped me with early retirement too, I would just buy a game every few months and play it alot, instead of blowing money on other stuff. Although I was pretty hardcore into World of Warcraft at one time and had to cut back. Wishing the Company of heroes expansion and Dawn of War 2 would hurry up and come out.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
AMD based ones...
Come to think of it, a lot of the interior wires looked like they'd been chewed on...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart. I've been trying to convince myself to upgrade too. My rig is 4.5 years old, and while it's done an admirable job, it's showing it's age. Normally I wouldn't wait this long to upgrade, but it was a beast when I built it (1.5GB of ram in '02), it can no longer handle the work.

I was going to buy it in May but then Dell had that monitor sale and I finally picked up the 24inch wide screen that I've had my eye on for the last year. BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a $75 off coupon for Dell that I'm not going to use.

Anyway, here's the specs on what I'm considering (Apologies for long winded descriptions copied from newegg):
-Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply
-ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor
-CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
-Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
-LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA
-EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

The Raptor would be my boot drive and at some point in the future I would consider picking up a couple data drives in Raid0 (probably have to get a stronger power supply if I do).

I would also run Vista 64 on this, since I can get a copy free through our MSDN at work.

I probably have another month of psyching myself up to spend this much money, but I think I'll cave soon. Only took me 6 months to psych myself into buying the video ipod
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

You might get by with a little less processor, unless you've got a specific need. Excepting video format conversion, I dont stress out the 1.8ghz core2duo I've got. And on that app even a doubling in processor speed would still produce a 15-30 minute run time, so i'm STILL going to walk away for a while.

Another area to defer some costs might be the video card. The integrated x3000 graphics on the 965 board is decent from a h/w specs perspective although intel has been ridiculously late in producing good drivers for it. Allegedly the newer drivers that (finally) turn on all of the hardware goodies is in alpha test now and to be released in the next few months.

So unless you're a heavy duty gamer that wants 250fps rates from the latest games, you might limp along with the x3000 for a while and when the "good" driver comes out you might find it to be adequate until that 8800gts is selling for $99

Drivers for vista 64 might also be a bit challenging...the 8800 drivers and the x3000 drivers are both producing a lot of interesting problems last time I heard anything.

Sonata II is a nice case, decent power supply.

Not sure which will be the louder item...the video card or the 10k raptor. My p5b system (x3000 only) is completely silent until the 7200 rpm drive seeks.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #29
Administrator

^ CFB - I can't believe cards render at 250 fps, that's amazing.

Do you all watch Slickdeals.net for computer deals (you all sound like you would have already known that site. it's a great resource for computer deals).
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Aint it? Some cards are exceeding 300fps in quake 3 and HL2, admittedly in low quality.

Its all just bragging rights over 40 though.

What I cant believe is that there are video cards that cost more than an entire decent computer...
Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I will never do integrated video, even if I just wanted a machine that browsed the web :P

I do a lot of programming inside VMs, which tends to tax systems pretty hard. I can easily bring my Dell XPS 1710 laptop to its knees and it isn't even a year old

Yah, the vista drivers concern me, but if you have any desire to go over 4GB of ram, you don't really have much choice. Unless you just don't wanna run vista, which is another debate altogether
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
I do a lot of programming inside VMs, which tends to tax systems pretty hard. I can easily bring my Dell XPS 1710 laptop to its knees and it isn't even a year old.
I take you are talking about Virtual Machines when you say VMs? If so, what software are you running to set them up (VMWare)? What languages are you programming in?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yep, integrated graphics wont ever get any respect.

This one oughta run around the range of a 7600gt once they get those drivers spiffed up a bit.

VMs definitely need the extra juice.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I take you are talking about Virtual Machines when you say VMs? If so, what software are you running to set them up (VMWare)? What languages are you programming in?
I am mostly in VMWare lately, though I will use Virtual PC sometimes as well. I do mostly .Net development, so I tend to have a VM running that has VS 2k5 and SQL Management Studio* open at the minimum. And if I'm working with several clients that day, I may have another VM open and several Office apps running in the host machine. RAM is hit the hardest, of course, since VS is a crazy memory hog, so if you don't give your VMs at least a gig each, you'll hit the page file like crazy, grinding all of them to a halt.

I do a little PHP (I'm competent, but not senior in it), and whatever else gets thrown my way for task-oriented languages like XSLT. Given that my core is .Net though, I tend to use VS to do all coding in, which is a little overkill I suppose.

*I know I got the name of this wrong, but how many fricking words do we need to describe this tool? MS has gone crazy lately with their ridiculously long and meaningless names.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
*I know I got the name of this wrong, but how many fricking words do we need to describe this tool? MS has gone crazy lately with their ridiculously long and meaningless names.
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio... awful long name for a text editor.

The thing that I've always wondered about, though, is why does each Visual Studio instance feel obliged to take up 200-300 megs of memory?
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Because modern programmers dont think much about footprint, link everything on the planet into their images, and never had the pleasure of having to try and stuff an entire program into 8k of memory. While walking in six feet of snow to programming school, uphill, both ways. Lugging a 35lb "portable" computer.

I'm often heard grumbling "1.2GB for a PRINTER DRIVER? WTF!?!" when updating one of the systems...
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio... awful long name for a text editor.

The thing that I've always wondered about, though, is why does each Visual Studio instance feel obliged to take up 200-300 megs of memory?
If that was the worst thing it did, I'd be in heaven. How about if you delete a file inside of VS instead of through explorer and your hard drive light goes solid for 30 seconds. Or creating a new solution... WTF is it doing during those commands?

Faults aside though, it's one of the best IDEs made, hands down. It really helps productivity. (Except when it hurts it!)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I know it will chafe CFB to say it, but I almost went with a top of the line Athlon, it's performance is almost as good as my lower end Core 2 Duo. But my decision turned on the fact that the Athlon would be fully topped out, where in a couple years I can spend $100 and significantly boost my system with a uber-quad core intel chip.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

You made the right choice grasshopper...otherwise Clif and I would have to come to your house, mess up your living room and eat all your food.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

And that would be different than all my other friends how??
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote