Join Early Retirement Today

Any Scanner recommendations
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any Scanner recommendations

I am planning to start a big project of getting rid of paper at home. I want to scan all the items into my PC and burn to DVDs. I have been looking for a scanner that has some sort of document management capibilities.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just bought a Visioneer.......I did lots of research. I
ll write down the model number and post it tomorrow, or later tonight..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My recommendation is to get one with an automatic feed like visioneer. With a flat-bed, just placing documents on the bed and removing them is enough to drive you nuts.

I will be following this thread closely to see what our collective intelligence recommends. Need to buy one soon.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too! I want the feed in type, as the flat bed DOES drive me nutso. Looking forward to seeing what works and I'll be checking out the Visioneer, so please post the info, Finance Dude
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

With out a doubt the ScanSnap S510 (may have a newer model now) I scan everything in my scanner. I am sick of filing and want everything at my finger tips. It is very fast, and if you do a lot of scanning, it can't be beat. Go on Amazon and read reviews. It is not cheap though, but don't go for the cheaper one. I did, and wound up buying the auto feeder more expensive one after. (I take the other one with me when I travel) but my ScanSnap S510 sits right next to me computer, and I would never be without it now. Use it continuously every day. Zip, zip, zip

I didn't buy it on Amazon (unusual for me) cause I found it cheaper at a couple of other places.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
My recommendation is to get one with an automatic feed like visioneer. With a flat-bed, just placing documents on the bed and removing them is enough to drive you nuts.

I will be following this thread closely to see what our collective intelligence recommends. Need to buy one soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Me too! I want the feed in type, as the flat bed DOES drive me nutso. Looking forward to seeing what works and I'll be checking out the Visioneer, so please post the info, Finance Dude
Automatic feed is great, until you need to scan something that isn't a flat sheet. How do you do a book, magazine, or or something with depth? I had to scan something that was glued in a frame, and it wasn't coming out. Flat bed scanner got it perfectly (careful, not all of them have enough depth of field for this)!

Sure 99% of the time, flat works, but be aware of the limits. I guess nowadays, with cheap hi-rez digicams, you can just take a picture for that 1%.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

One consideration is that a feed type will only scan single page items. Things like bound documents, books, magazines will still need a flatbed. So I'd go for something that does both.

I have not used this one but it's got a good rating and I like Xerox.
Newegg.com - XEROX DocuMate 515 24 bit 600 dpi Fast Simplex Scanner
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I will second the Fujitsu ScanSnap... but the key point is that it creates searchable PDFs (OCR optical character recognition that works).... so Google Desktop can crawl across the contents of all the documents and your searches can be at the level of the document contents... not just the document name e.g. find one line in a Visa statement.
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #9

Also, if your data is important to you, remember to back it up properly. I have a mirrored RAID array on my computer, with a third hard drive containing a copy of the data in a seperate physical location. Every now and again (or after introducing a lot of new data onto my computer) I swap out the drives on the computer with the separate drive and allow the array to be rebuilt. That way, I have 2 drives in my computer with a bang-up-to-date version of the data, and a drive in a separate location with a version of the data that was current as of the last back-up date.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

I was just thinking of doing this. $500 for the Fujitsu is too much tho!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You can have the best of both worlds. A flatbed scanner and an automatic feed. In my case I have an HP printer and it has a scanner where I can either use flatbed or feeder.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #12

I guess I am more interested in the software end of it. I'm sure I could scan, name and file the stuff since I am pretty organized. I wonder if the dedicated software adds anything to the process.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #13

Follow up: I bought a Fugitsu ScanSnap s1300. It's the smaller, portable scanner that Fujitsu makes. It folds up nicely and is easy to store.

It scans full duplex and has a 10 page auto feed.

Its fast and does a great job so far. I like that I can scan to Google Docs as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I will look at that one too. I may have to get two since I have a lot of documents and some things that will require a flat bed scanner such as some old coins I have.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'd recommend Ameriprise, and maybe check out "First Command" and whatever Amway is being called today. Oh, wait, I misread the thread title. Never mind.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #16

Now I have to decide what I can scan and what requires originals.
Will warranties be honored with scanned in copies of receipts?
The scanner has been great so far. Already scanned in about 4" of paper, mostly legal and DDs school progress reports and education plans.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'd recommend Ameriprise, and maybe check out "First Command" and whatever Amway is being called today. Oh, wait, I misread the thread title. Never mind.
You mean "SCAMMER".....gotcha!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I really, really, really love my new Fujitsu Scan Snap! Thank you all for the recommendations
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote