Join Early Retirement Today

Any tempurpedic mattress lovers/owners out there?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any tempurpedic mattress lovers/owners out there?

Well fellow FIRE's,
It's time for this gal to get a new mattress, I don't even want to mention how old my mattress is I think I got it the year Clinton was inaugurated.

Anyhoo, I always seen the commercials for tempur-pedic mattress but darn near had a heart attack when I saw the price for those puppies, yikes. I saw prices between 1700 and $3500.

Am I out of touch and those are normal mattress prices?
Are you happy that you got one instead of a traditional mattress?

I know this is a highly subjective item (comfort, etc etc) but appreciate any feedback
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

I looked at them and thought they were overpriced and nothing special, but I can't say I've ever slept in one. Just tried them out in the stores. Costco sells them from time to time.

I ended up buying a pure latex mattress, which they don't sell much any more, but I found it to be quite comfortable. And I also bought an adjustable bed, which now that I have, I could never live without. The ability to elevate your head and feet give you far greater comfort than if you can only lie flat like a traditional bed.

If you can buy the mattress at Costco, you get to try it out and if you don't like it, they will take it back and give you a full refund. It's a great way to go if you're not sure about your selection.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

I got mine when I was having bad lower back disc issues, 2004. I was at the point where my back was worse after a night's sleep, old mattress.

Got the mattress, would never pick anything else. It's still firm and flat and no signs of needing replacement. I don't think most traditionals last that long. Even when travelling in nicer hotels with good beds, I can start to feel a twinge in my back after about the 3rd or 4th nights. As much as I like to travel, at the end of a trip I start thinking "well at least I'll be home on my mattress after this."

I do have a W Hotel mattress in my spare room which is very nice, and when DH snores I'm happy enough to sleep on that for a night or two. But not a week.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I got mine when I was having bad lower back disc issues, 2004. I was at the point where my back was worse after a night's sleep, old mattress.

Got the mattress, would never pick anything else. It's still firm and flat and no signs of needing replacement. I don't think most traditionals last that long. Even when travelling in nicer hotels with good beds, I can start to feel a twinge in my back after about the 3rd or 4th nights. As much as I like to travel, at the end of a trip I start thinking "well at least I'll be home on my mattress after this."
+1.

I would credit this mattress (and a few other things) from keeping me out of back surgery. I got a similar pillow and it fixed my neck right up.

Yes they're expensive. The first couple nights you sleep on them it feels really weird. Then, at least in my experience, its money very well spent. We will never buy anything else.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #5

I was seriously considering one last year, but instead bought a Casper mattress. They send it right to you and you have 99 days to try it out. No charge to have them come and take it away if you don't like it.

After seven months of sleeping on it, we still like it very much.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love mine. I still wasn't sure about it until a few days before the test period ran out, but decided to keep it and am thrilled. I was having back and neck soreness each morning before I got it. No more... Just give it some time if you try it because it will feel very strange at first.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

I got a 3 inch memory foam knock-off a long time ago. Then I noticed that when I was sleeping in hotel beds, my shoulder stopped hurting. DW liked the foam, so I cut it in half. I sleep directly on the Select Comfort, which I pump up pretty hard. Works for me.

Here's an interesting thing about the mattress market: Are We in a Mattress-Store Bubble? - Freakonomics Freakonomics
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Tempurpedic mattresses are excellent, but I don't buy the marketing fairy dust that goes along with their exorbitant pricing. They were the first to market memory foam mattresses in the US, thus the high price. You can now get essentially the same thing - some think even better - for far less.

Take a look at brands like Casper, Loom & Leaf, and eLuxury. We purchased an eLuxury king a month ago and it is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. I was nervous about buying online without testing it out first, but you have a 120 day trial period to return it. They will pick up the mattress and refund your money in full if you decide it won't work for you, and the other two companies offer something similar. (FWIW, eLuxury says one in 45 of their mattresses sold is returned within the 120 day trial period.)

Here is a good website for info and comparison: Mattress Reviews | Sleepopolis
Old 08-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a good friend with a high-end Temper in his basement level guest suite and stay there quite often when visiting our DGC. I think they warm-up during the night, and it's easy to get too hot.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

There are so many different brands and styles of mattresses on the market, and many are considered luxury bedding--at ridiculous prices.

My wife had to switch to an adjustable bed for health reasons, and we are big believers in the BedInABox.com memory foam mattresses. The foam they use is of superior quality to anything on the market. And it's a very customer driven company with great service. Their prices are reasonable on mattresses. And their prices on Leggett and Platt adjustable beds is by far the lowest.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
We have had the higher end tempurpedic mattress for a couple of years. It's been good, a couple of things I notice:
1) when it's warm, it's softer, when cold, it's much more firm.
2) It will sleep warmer than a regular mattress in either warm or cold seasons. In the winter, it's great. In the summer, it can feel too warm sometimes.
3) Even though it doesn't show any softening or depressions, after two years it's noticeably softer than when new. I preferred it when it was new and rock hard.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We went hog wild and pig crazy eight years ago and bought a queen size tempurpedic mattress and platform for $2300. At this point that means $287 a year for sleeping comfortably. Our mattress will last for several more years no doubt.

Besides having no aches and pains in the morning, you never know when your partner moves about or gets out of bad.

The best money we ever spent.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought the 14" Costco one on sale a few years ago for $550 (king size). It is absolutely amazing. I actually have to read on the couch now because the mattress is so comfortable that I can't read in bed anymore, I just fall asleep right away. I've tried Tempurpedic in stores and they feel the same to me. My recommendation is the Costco brand or, if you don't have a Costco membership, Casper.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

If you're switching from a "standard" mattress to any of the foam-based ones note that the foam retains rather than disperses body heat. This makes them feel warmer. I had to reset the A/C a degree or two cooler to compensate.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We bought a generic from The Dump about 8 years ago... it is much cheaper than the brand name...

As for temp, that has changed over the years... it is not as big a deal as it used to be... heck, I see ads now that talk about one that cools you down..

The one thing that I would say is that it seems hard... but when you actually lay in it it does not seem to be hard for sleeping...

I would not want anything else...

BTW, someone mentioned latex... we bought one of those for my MIL... DW has slept on it and says it is also great... I have never been on it so I will take her word....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #16

My sister and BIL just got a Tempur-Pedic a few months ago. They went all out with the top of the line (wireless remote and massage) king size with the adjustable base and the headboard. They looked at Tempur-Pedic and also Sleep Number.

They love it! She did tell me that it came with "a mortgage" and the price was around $10,000. Then she had to buy some $pecial $heet$ just for the Tempur-Pedic. Yeah, you better love it!

I'm still fine with our regular mattress. On a road trip we stayed in a very average motel but the bedding was noticeably scrumptious so I checked it out before we left. The mattress pad was extra thick and fluffy. So we bought one when we got home.

Extra Plush Mattress Pad - Topper with Fitted Skirt - Found in Marriott Hotels | Mattress Pads | Mattress Pad | eLuxurySupply
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

After sleeping too many years to count on a $99 special, we bought a king size Tempurpedic several years ago. With a 20-25 year guarantee, the price was worth it to us. No more back, hip, or neck pain for either of us. As others have said, they do sleep a little warm, but newer choices have cooling features. And you do need to give it the 30-90 day break in, they sleep very hard at first. Best money we ever spent for a great night sleep. Do not notice movement, so neither partner wakes up if the other gets up during the night.
We bought our kids each knock off brands, and they seem to work just as well.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #18

I have no love for Tempur-Pedic. When looking for mattresses two years ago, I skoffed at the $3200 price of the TP mattress I liked. The salesman promptly took me over to a Serta that felt the same, and which I bought. I was just telling a friend this week I blame the Serta for all the naps I take all the time, as I can't even walk in the bedroom that it doesn't call my name asking me to lie down "for just a minute" (which of course turns into a couple of hours because lying on that bed is like getting a massage--you have to let your muscles go and relax). In my entire life, I have never sat, slept, leaned, or been supported by anything more comfortable.

The Tempur-Pedic pillows I bought with the mattress, on the other hand, at $160 a piece, are a big disappointment. They seem to lose their "lift" and I'm forever plumping them through the night. Paid that much as I've always had a problem with pillows. Not less than a month after having them I wanted to return them but was told you can't exchange pillows by law. Never again Tempur-Pedic anything.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

The Novaform king size is on sale at Costco right now for $560. 14" thick including 3 inches of their cooling gel layer.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #20

I bought an older style Tempurpedic with less dense foam that was being discontinued about seven years ago. It gets a little hard in the winter as I have a cold bedroom but softens up in a few minutes after I lay down. I've been very pleased with it and no longer have a sore, stiff back when I wake up. The medium firm mattress has softened up a little over the years but since I'm single and usually sleep alone, I've just moved over to the other side. And I don't think it would soften up as much for a smaller, lighter weight woman.

The less expensive Tempurpedic will probably serve you just as well as their more expensive mattress. And a good conventional mattress can easily run $1500. Are their less expensive memory foam mattresses that are just as good? Probably. But I did not want to risk it and wanted a sure thing. Since i have acid reflux, I also bought the adjustable bed which has been great. Much better than one of those wedge pillows. Also nice for elevating your feet.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote