Join Early Retirement Today

Any Tricks For Threading on Hose Connection
Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any Tricks For Threading on Hose Connection

This is a Husky power washer. The problem connection is from body
of power washer to the high pressure hose. It looks somewhat like a hose connector but perhaps a bit smaller. Inside is a tube with an o-ring that makes the high pressure water seal. Since the connector is connected to the
high pressure hose,the hose tends to move the connector so that a good alignment is made difficult. It kind of reminds me of putting a tire pressure gauge on a tire w/o losing any air......unless your alignment is almost perfect,
some air will be lost.

I suppose it is possible that DW messed up the threads but w/o using a tool for leverage, that seems a bit difficult to believe.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would assume you're talking about a quick attach female connector that has a spring loaded ring that moves on the outside. You also have to have the proper male adapter plug on the end of the high pressure hose. The male adapter goes in the female connector until the outside ring clicks. Sometimes they seal all the way and sometimes they leak slightly--just a little. Tools are not required.

If your pressure washer is not setup that way, go to Home Depot/Lowes and purchase the parts to make it do so. Sometimes you've got to improvise on brass fittings to get'em to hook up.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I find it helps to slide the outside spring loaded ring away from the open end as you insert the male fitting and then back to click and lock after the male fitting is inserted.
user5027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies........just to clarify this is not a quick connect fitting. It needs to be screwed on to the mating part. The problem is that it seems to be difficult to do........I'm assuming it's an alignment problem , not a thread problem, at this point.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by user5027 View Post
I find it helps to slide the outside spring loaded ring away from the open end as you insert the male fitting and then back to click and lock after the male fitting is inserted.
This has worked for me as well. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of pushing to get the O-ring part seated well enough so that the female threaded ring can engage.As with any threaded connection, it is a good idea to rotate the female threaded ring backward (counterclockwise) until you feel it "click," indicating that the ends of the threads are in a position to mate. But I've had pressure washers where that wasn't practical, and the only approach that worked was to was to mash down on the female ring as hard as I could while turning clockwise, hoping that the threads would catch.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Since you said it's definitely a screw-on fitting, take a good look at the hose and the power washer fittings. It doesn't take much for these fittings to get out-of-round. Try another hose. Go to the hardware store and purchase another fitting, see if you can get that to thread. It's either an alignment problem, fittings are out of round or the threads are crossed.
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Those threads are a PIA. I've had the same problem your having. The stiffness of the hose makes it hard to get the threads lined up.

I did what others are saying. Went to Lowe's and bought the quick connect fittings for the pressure hose. The fitting is much easier to get started on the threads and you only have to do it once.
Once you have the quick connect fittings installed, you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #8

I have a Husky power washer and agree that it is difficult, especially as it becomes older. I have found that If I use water-faucet grease on the o-ring, the ID of the fitting the o-ring goes into, and the connector threads, it makes it just a bit easier to get aligned.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

Thanks, all, for the helpful advice. Good to know the problem is not unique to me. Looks like I have some homework ahead if greasing doesn't work.
When you change the fittings to quick-connect, what's required to make that change? You have to cut the existing fitting off the existing hose and somehow connect the new fitting to the existing hose?
Old 06-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Nope, go to a big hardware store. They have the 2 fittings, usually packaged together. You screw one one the pump & the other onto the hose. Easy peasy.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Another plus to this is it let's the hose swivel. Makes it much easier to use. Have fun!
Old 06-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a 2' hose from an old reel. Attached that and then use regular hose connected thus.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote