Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She's doing great so far. We're not having much fun with the 3rd round of antibiotics as she's too smart to be fooled by the pill-in-a-sausage trick.

Now the only thing thats worrisome is that she's developed a swollen squishy spot about 2" in diameter on her abdomen right next to the inside of the 'bad' leg. Might just be some sort of fluid build-up. Its firm on the left side, squishy on the right. Guess I'll run her by the vet tomorrow to have a quick look at that...

We're a little overbudget on veterinary bills this year...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll be at the vet's too....Casanova is not eating today and I think when he licked off the scab...he ended up re-infecting the area. I already have a second job for all of the vet bills....sheesh.....good luck cfb...
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
She's doing great so far. We're not having much fun with the 3rd round of antibiotics as she's too smart to be fooled by the pill-in-a-sausage trick.

Now the only thing thats worrisome is that she's developed a swollen squishy spot about 2" in diameter on her abdomen right next to the inside of the 'bad' leg. Might just be some sort of fluid build-up. Its firm on the left side, squishy on the right. Guess I'll run her by the vet tomorrow to have a quick look at that...

We're a little overbudget on veterinary bills this year...

Makes me wonder if it is lymph nodes swollen due to the infection.

Good luck with the pilling. I always thought dogs were so much easier than cats, but I guess she's figured out your tricks!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have a cat that simply cannot be given a pill of any kind, period. The dog is definitely easier but we're pretty much down to pushing the pill in manually

I tried to give that cat a wormer pill about 6 years ago and it was a one hour ordeal of horrifying proportions. Then as soon as we were done, she ran behind the couch and threw it up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #25

Quote:
I have a cat that simply cannot be given a pill of any kind, period. The dog is definitely easier but we're pretty much down to pushing the pill in manually

I tried to give that cat a wormer pill about 6 years ago and it was a one hour ordeal of horrifying proportions. Then as soon as we were done, she ran behind the couch and threw it up.
Oh, I can so totally relate!!! We had a cat that became impossible to pill, too! Despite using a piller, wrapping him in a towel, etc. etc. We then found these cool pill "pockets" that were flavored salmon/chicken, etc. You put the pill inside and squeeze it shut. They actually worked for a little while, but, like your dog, our cat figured that one out, too. Eventually we tried a liquid medication...uh,,,that ended up in my cat foaming at the mouth, shaking his head, and spewing medicine all over the walls!

I feel for you with having to push the pill in manually. Doesn't especially do much for the relationship you have with your pet, but it must be done

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

It does help when giving a dog drugs manually to hold their head up and stroke their throat after you stick the pill in their mouth. Helps to get them to swallow rather than store the pill.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It does help when giving a dog drugs manually to hold their head up and stroke their throat after you stick the pill in their mouth. Helps to get them to swallow rather than store the pill.
Put your finger over the nostrils at the same time (they have to swallow).
Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
that ended up in my cat foaming at the mouth, shaking his head, and spewing medicine all over the walls!
Been there, done that, have the spotted t-shirt and my wifes cousin has the couch that has to be put up against the wall due to the funny brown crud all over the back of it.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

simple girl - I'm going through that with my cat right now!

I'll spare the long story (it's on the Motley Fool Pet Lovers board), but my cat has undiagnosed problems that we are trying to kill with antibiotics and painkillers. He was OK with the liquid painkiller, and I could even get him to swallow the pill by holding his mouth closed til he swallowed, but he HATES the new antibiotics - leading to the spewing thing! Ugh.

cfb - good luck with pup. My thoughts are with him.

After a few visits to the vet, including an overnight, bloodwork, x-rays, 4 different medicines etc, I am way over my vet budget too.

Now, if only I can get the kitty to eat more (he's lost a lot of weight). Sigh.
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

kaudrey....I am so sorry......it's frustrating to say the least.
One great method I use to give Casanova his antibiotic is to put encircle him with my left hand while he is on the kitchen counter, tilt his head to see me....pop in the pill while holding his head back and with the right hand stroking his neck so the swallow reflex is activated.......and I do the hokey pokey with my legs at the same time
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I finally got the perfect method (for this mutt anyhow), with Khans suggestion putting it over the top. I tip her head back, pry the jaws open, toss the pills as far back as possible, close the mouth, stroke the throat while gently shaking the head and cover her nostrils with two fingers for a few seconds. Boom, they're gone. Worked great for the last few pills.

Staples come out on tuesday. Funny swollen area is a 'seroma'. Now the fun part is deciphering which of the differing opinions on handling these is best. Some say hot compresses and let it go down on its own. Some say drain it several times with a syringe plus more antibiotics (no!). Some say install a drain until it stops draining, plus more antibiotics (NO!).

Sigh.

I spent most of the afternoon at chuck e. cheese. I need a vacation.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I feel for you, CFB. Hope things turn around for you and your dog quickly. Gabe is growing up quickly and you will soon turn around and wonder where time went with him.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

She goes in to have her staples taken out tomorrow. She hates going to that vet because so far every time she's gone she had to stay overnight and get operated on. At least this time she comes home with me.

Gabe is already too darn big. He's baking with my wife every few days, has his evening tea (herbal) with her, lets the dogs in and out of the house, and he's started playing practical jokes on me.

Just yesterday I had to hold his bottle for him.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just yesterday I had to hold his bottle for him.
Eh, lemme offer another perspective-- do you miss the diaper changes?

By our calculations our kid only has about another 970 days under our roof... flap those wings, little birdie!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

No, i'm not because i'm still doing them! We've had two bouts of toilet training. When we first moved into the new house he insisted on using the toilet exclusively for about a month, then lost interest.

Then when we told him that his grampa would give him a ride in his RV if he used the toilet (because Uppa doesnt allow diapers on his bus!) we got another three weeks of steady use. The day after he got his ride, back to the diapers.

We'll get there. Hell, he isnt even three yet. I just have to get him potty trained by august so he can go to the preschool we got him into.

Yesterday I went around spackling and puttying miscellaneous nail holes in the house. Gabe has now spent two hours walking around with my maglite identifying another 350 holes from the floor level up. "Dada!! Hole!!! GET IT!!!".
Old 12-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We'll get there. Hell, he isnt even three yet. I just have to get him potty trained by august so he can go to the preschool we got him into.
Plenty of time. And at that age, peer pressure can be a wonderful thing.

Quote:
"Dada!! Hole!!! GET IT!!!".
Sounds like someone's ready for their own putty knife. How messy could that possibly get? Are you using the putty that tastes like peanut butter?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Aiyee! No babies with putty!

He does have his own tools and they're well used. Whenever i'm working on something he's usually found nearby "fixing" something himself.

In this instance, I had just glued this door panel and hammered a few brads into the edge to hold it until the glue dried, then wandered off for a few minutes...

Staples are out of the girl doggie, and she was most pleased to leave immediately after.

Unfortunately the doc wasnt able to figure out what we previously thought was a seroma. He says its a fatty tumor of some kind, but will need aspirating to determine what it is. I've been able to shrink it with a hot compress, so he says that means its probably benign. I found another hard lump about the size of half a peanut on her back in the middle of the rib cage.

Hopefully it'll allllll go away...
Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Dogs get lots of sebaceous cysts and lipomas, accumulating into a bunch of skin lumps and bumps. We never bothered with them unless they were in a real bad spot (like the collar line or near the ear). Figured most won't ever be an issue and in the rare case one of them turned out to be something serious we probably would only treat symptomatically, in any case. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time and money at the vet, gotta be scarey for the pooch, and in the end it's probably not worth it.

I know everyone has their own approach to how much care they are comfortable with for their dogs, but that's what we did.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Rich, thats going to be our approach. Next time we're at the vet for shots (about a year from now) I'll have our old country doctor have another look at it. We'll monitor for size changes and I'll keep trying the warm compresses, which seemed to be reducing it.

In the meanwhile, I have about a pound of roast beef to give out to our vet traumatized pup...