Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

It's also worth noting that this test requirement came into effect this month for recreational flyers in the US. TRUST is an impossible-to-fail online test producing a self-printed certificate you are supposed to be able to show on demand. Highly unlikely to be an issue unless there is an incident, but it doesn't take long to do.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational..._test_updates/
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Noticed the other day? This has been going on for the past decade. Right now the trend has been to ban drones from state and national parks, city centers, and over many private homes. We have a DJI AIR 2S. It has a 1" sensor camera for better quality 4K footage. If you want to save a couple of hundred dollars, there is the DJI Mavic Air 2. If money is no object, go for the DJI Inspire 2.

Yep, I have a buddy that used to fly a lot, because of all the bans and regulations, he now mostly just takes a small drone through the trees in his yard.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #43

Now you've all done it. A drone is now on my obsessive wish list for my next toy.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
We have a DJI AIR 2S. It has a 1" sensor camera for better quality 4K footage. If you want to save a couple of hundred dollars, there is the DJI Mavic Air 2. If money is no object, go for the DJI Inspire 2.
I really wanted the Air 2S but I was afraid to spend that much money on my first drone. I figure I’m going to crash mine at least a few times so better to crash a $439 drone than a $999 drone.

Did you buy the DJI Care Refresh? Any accidents yet? Does the obstacle avoidance make a big difference when flying in dense areas?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
With the DJI's, releasing the stick (allowing it to spring back to center) stops the drone dead, irrespective of the wind. So a pilot who "knows how to land" one of these GPS controlled vehicles knows that they move it over the patch of ground they want to land on, release the stick. It says there, no matter what the wind does. Then they pull on the other stick (reduce power) until it hits the ground. Super easy.
Ah, I get it. A whole different kind of flying than an airplane. With helicopters (which I can fly too, but not well) and fixed-wing airplanes, if you release the stick(s) bad things happen, and quickly.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

^ but things are a lot different with gps off. As inside of a building. I was flying my old phantom 2 through a corporate jet hangar. I had gps turned off because we couldn’t get gps indoors anyway.

Releasing the stick indoors while drone moving makes the drone slow down and coast to a stop. Doesn’t stop immediately like outside with GPS signal.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

F had a cheap drone that his sister gave him for Christmas a few years ago. He played with it for a while, but being a lower quality drone he found that any attempts to control it were fairly aggravating. I think he would have liked a higher quality drone, though. Anyway, this spring he gave it to Good Will.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
With the DJI's, releasing the stick (allowing it to spring back to center) stops the drone dead, irrespective of the wind. .

This is just the most amazing thing about these drones. I have flown on some 10+ mph wind days, up very high, and can hear that little spark fighting the wind above.... but it is just "parked" in the sky when your hands are off the sticks, doesn't get blown out of position, AND the camera image is rock steady as this thing battles the wind up above. Amazing tech.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #49

I was able to do a complete roof inspection on my house this afternoon and got some very sharp photos. Only one cracked tile after 20 years so I’m pretty happy.

The drone has handled high winds at the beach with no issue at all. It’s super precise with its movements. I really am enjoying learning how to fly it and use it for aerial photography. I highly recommend it as a post retirement hobby. It’s an amazing amount of tech for the price. Only $439 at Costco with a 90 day return if you are not satisfied with it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I’m not supposed to fly over people or personal property. Obviously that’s not something I can 100% control when it’s up in the air but in general I am not supposed to fly in populated areas. But flying along the beach or out in an open park is no problem.

I used the drone this morning to inspect my roof. I haven’t seen the roof since the house was built 20 years ago. I did not see any damage.

I know realtors are using drones to get aerial shots of the properties they have listed for sale. And I’m planning on using the drone while on our sailboat to film the boat while in motion.

There's a floating drone that can even right itself if it gets upside down in the water. It's bright orange. I can't remember the name. It seems perfect for boating, fishing, and water sports. Oh, it has the ability to drop lures offshore to catch the big uns'.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

If someone wants to make a ton of $, invent a drone with a chainsaw on it. Then I could trim limbs that I can't get at otherwise.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:48 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
If someone wants to make a ton of $, invent a drone with a chainsaw on it. Then I could trim limbs that I can't get at otherwise.
For sure. What could go wrong?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I really wanted the Air 2S but I was afraid to spend that much money on my first drone. I figure I’m going to crash mine at least a few times so better to crash a $439 drone than a $999 drone.

Did you buy the DJI Care Refresh? Any accidents yet? Does the obstacle avoidance make a big difference when flying in dense areas?
The Air 2S is my first drone. I took into consideration that had I bought a drone 8 years ago, I would have paid much more for far less capability. I have not crashed it yet but I also have not flown it more than 100 yards from me and I only had it a couple of months. I have been flying over open air space over hills and valleys so I don't know how well the obstacle avoidance works. I wanted a higher quality camera for 4K aerial shots to edit with my ground footage. I have the one year plan. I figured that I would most likely crash it during my first year.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:29 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I’ve owned a drone for about a year or two.

More and more restrictions are being imposed.

You can’t fly in any sizeable city in the world though obviously if you search you will see videos of drones fly8ng around Big Ben, Eiffel Tower and other famous landmarks.

Try that now and you’d get in big trouble.

So you have to look for natural landscapes way out of cities, hope that it’s not in some national park or wildlife reserve.

You can obviously get some stunning images and videos if you do.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Quote:
For sure. What could go wrong?
Ha ha!
Old 06-28-2021, 04:47 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes! A smaller, less expensive, DIY version of this:

Old 06-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

^ yes - that's what I need.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:55 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
No, but I've got a neighbor that sunbathes nude.
Is it female or male?
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Is it female or male?
Dunno. That is why I need a drone.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #60
gone traveling

I have a neighbor that got into drones and has done commercial work. He has several of them. Yesterday, he had one he was playing with in front of his house and I asked him if it was a DJI and I think he said it was a Mavic Pro, but not positive. My dog was quite entertained. I've thought about getting a drone, but want to pursue RC plane flying instead which is probably more challenging to learn, although I recall seeing a clip on TV about drone racing which looked interesting. Not sure what makes a racing drone vs these recreational drones used for photography.

PS - Walt, I am still debating whether to get a cheap pc to run RealFlight 9.5 as a first step. I did join AMA and have submitted my application to a local club.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote