Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the closest one to me is an 80-mile round trip. I'll pass, but thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Is that sponsored by the LDS church? If so, can "gentiles" use it? I've used their free Family Search site for years - a wonderful public service.
Yes, the LDS church runs the Family history centers. You do not need to be LDS to use their records and facility for free. Once you are in the building, you will need to write your name on a registry. You will be asked your first and last name, the date, and what stake or ward you are from with the LDS church and what records you wish to use. All you have to do is put "visitor" in that spot if you are not LDS and mark that you want to use a computer.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:45 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Wondering if anyone here has used Ancestry.com and if so, what your experiences were.
I've been researching on and off since my first job MANY years ago. Around 1976, many US citizens became interested. I started with a hand-drawn tree, and later used MacDraw to enter it into a computer. Every ten years or so something would trigger another foray into genealogy. Chance encounters with other family members (who found me) produced a lot of data and history.

The latest adventure started last year when a cousin contacted me. Never met her, except maybe as a very young child at my grandparents house. As a result, I converted over my older FTW database to GRAMPS (open source), so I'd have access to local storage and tools for analyzing. I am not beholden to any online service.

At 2016 holidays, spouse and I mailed off two Autosomal DNA kits, and waited patiently. Basically, decided to start on the path described here:

2015: Most bang for the DNA buck | The Legal Genealogist

The tests were on sale. The results took FOREVER, and were finally available mid-April 2017. Created an account and saw a long list of 3rd and 4th cousin matches. These are people I never met, and do not readily see the relationship. There is also a world map on which you'll see genetic history. My spouse has a significant amount of US and European "bubbles". OTH, I have much more European background.

Ancestry does not give you access to their search records until you cough up more dollars. Got six months access for around $100. It is costly, in my opinion. Many records come from FAMILYSEARCH, already mentioned. I had been using FS for 10 years, I think. So will go back to that exclusively, unless Ancestry lowers the cost.

Per the article, download your results. It's a large text file, and you can upload the file elsewhere. Here's an example:

Quote:
rsid chromosome position allele1 allele2
rs369332065 1 577788 G G
rs192276136 1 567770 T T
rs190214723 1 677725 T T
rs3132272 1 758881 G G
rs12442034 1 769908 A G
rs115903905 1 783453 T G
rs6624049 1 801237 C C
rs28711699 1 831234 A A
FTDNA and GEDmatch are places I've uploaded results. FTDNA (cost about $20 to get access to additional features) has interesting tools, like a chromosome browser, where you can select 5 matches and graphically view where they match on your 22 + 1 pairs. GEDmatch has many features too, and it is free. See Admixture example below.

FTDNA and GEDmatch give you access to email addresses, which is more useful than Ancestry messaging system, IMO.

The test results are one of several records you need to corroborate what you think you know about ancestors and what others are telling you. The user trees on all sites are error prone. Two people may enter different birth dates, etc. You must find records and look at them to confirm your suspicions.

Another problem is that many surnames are written in several different ways in records. You end up with a large puzzle, and the pieces seem to have changing shape. Still, if you persist, you'll find it very interesting to sit and think about what it must have been like for those who came before. My F-I-L family had large amount of history wiped out by pogroms and holocaust. M-I-L, however, has over three hundred years of history in the US.

Next up will be yDNA testing at FTDNA. That will yield more significant paternal results, I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: png Admixture example.PNG (97.2 KB, 25 views)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Looks like the closest one to me is an 80-mile round trip. I'll pass, but thanks for the tip.
You can search for free from the comfort of your home. What is missing sometimes is the an image record upon which results are based. Sometimes, but not always.

What happens is this. Records are scanned, and then a team of individuals looks at the character recognition to determine if it should be changed. The text is readily available to you at familysearch.org.

What comes into question is what the individual (often an immigrant) said, how the census taker heard it, what they wrote, how it went through OCR, and what corrections have been made. For example, there are 6 census records I have for GM's parents home. Problem was that there were 5 different spelling of last name! It took a bit of searching to find the actual records, since the spellings were off. At ancestry.com I found the image records (came from familysearch) and saved those.

So, you can find the record information for whatever you search, and later make a trip to FHC family history center and get the images. My local person allowed me to save the files to USB. Or they will print for you.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I get it. For example, FS transcribed my grandmother's name as "Bette" when in fact it was Belle.

They keep adding new things to FS all the time, as records get released to the public. I found Mr. A.'s father's Selective Service application, that showed he was born 3 years earlier than we had thought (he applied promptly after his 18th birthday). That was a real image, not a transcription - we were able to see that Mr. A.'s Dad's signature was almost exactly like Mr. A.'s (same name).

Also I learned, on FS, that my own Dad had two uncles he never knew about - I found their death records, signed by my great-grandmother. Poor woman had 4 kids, and outlived 3 of them; no wonder Dad remembered his grandmother as such an unhappy person.

These seem trivial things - I never knew any of these people - but I love the stories I can imagine, based on these bits and pieces of real written history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

What comes into question is what the individual (often an immigrant) said, how the census taker heard it, what they wrote, how it went through OCR, and what corrections have been made. For example, there are 6 census records I have for GM's parents home. Problem was that there were 5 different spelling of last name! It took a bit of searching to find the actual records, since the spellings were off. At ancestry.com I found the image records (came from familysearch) and saved those.

So, you can find the record information for whatever you search, and later make a trip to FHC family history center and get the images. My local person allowed me to save the files to USB. Or they will print for you.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I just read an article about 3 identical triplets.
Good thing.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Quote:
I just read an article about 3 identical triplets.
Good thing.
Is that 9 people? -ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Is that 9 people?
Nonuplets R Us.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just read an article about 3 identical triplets(Identical Triplets Take A DNA Test, But The Unsettling Truth Is Revealed | NinjaJournalist). Their results were off as to heritage, the article concluded it should be used for entertainment purposes. Id like to further add my own observations. Once you submit a DNA sample to these places, with a court order the authorities can get it. Im sure everyone in here is squeaky clean, , but if your 2nd cousin is doing stick ups and he left some DNA, "they" can come visit you and want to get some information(Ancestry Guide for Law Enforcement). Im just putting it out there.
Hence, my tag line (below):

I could also add "Just because you've done nothing wrong doesn't mean you have nothing to hide." Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Is that 9 people? -ERD50
Glad i could provide you with some entertainment. I bet your more delighted that I amassed a 5 million dollar estate so far despite the fact Im not a master of the English language. Imagine how far i would have gotten.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Glad i could provide you with some entertainment. I bet your more delighted that I amassed a 5 million dollar estate so far despite the fact Im not a master of the English language. Imagine how far i would have gotten.
I was hoping you would get some entertainment out of it as well, no charge. Heck, if I didn't do it, REWahoo would, he usually is quick to catch those things.

It was much more a poke at the English language than at you (not at all, really). The English language is full of these phrases than can be taken multiple ways. Tickles me sometimes, that's all.

Like the phrase "every other house on the block" can mean alternate houses (half of the houses on the block), or "every house other than the one I'm talking about" (n-1 houses). And in Cudahay, WI the houses are side-by-each.

Your estate value is your business, none of my concern. You seem kinda touchy for a guy with a conceal-carry permit (he says from half-way across the country ) ).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #32

Quote:
I was hoping you would get some entertainment out of it as well, no charge. Heck, if I didn't do it, REWahoo would, he usually is quick to catch those things.

It was much more a poke at the English language than at you (not at all, really). The English language is full of these phrases than can be taken multiple ways. Tickles me sometimes, that's all.

Like the phrase "every other house on the block" can mean alternate houses (half of the houses on the block), or "every house other than the one I'm talking about" (n-1 houses). And in Cudahay, WI the houses are side-by-each.

Your estate value is your business, none of my concern. You seem kinda touchy for a guy with a conceal-carry permit (he says from half-way across the country ) ).

-ERD50
Thanks, I didnt know about the houses in Cudahay WI
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #33

I use it often at the MN Historical Center in St. Paul, where it is free. Do note that a fair amount of material is also available, such as censuses, right from your home computer--no need to subscribe to anything, despite what some sites want you to think. We've traced ancestors on both sides back at least 200 years, although both sides were also peasants and no one of particular interest appeared. Too poor to even have gravestones when we've search cemeteries.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
These seem trivial things - I never knew any of these people - but I love the stories I can imagine, based on these bits and pieces of real written history.
Yes, I've often thought how ordinary some of my family facts may seem to non-family members. I can't say that I've made earth-shattering discoveries. However, my perspective has changed quite a bit over the last year, and some of that has been due to searching for historic facts.

It was humbling to locate GM's childhood home that contained 11 siblings, mother, father, and M-I-L. Even more so to see (on Google street view) a similar abode that still stands across the street, near the Philadelphia waterfront. The family lived with two other families in a row home. Incredible!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Wondering if anyone here has used Ancestry.com and if so, what your experiences were.
This explains a bit about how you interact with your DNA match information in Ancestry. Below is a screen shot of the right side of the matches screen. It's showing 4 individuals (out of screen cap), who don't have a tree, have a tree, or have a locked tree. For the base testing fee, you cannot access the trees. However, I simply copy the link and look at the tree from spouse's Ancestry account ($150 for 6 months).

One thing that Ancestry does right is to have a list of names with birth and death, accessible from the tree view. Without this text feature, you need to move through the graphical tree, clicking on individuals to see more detail. In the case of a smallish tree, not too difficult. But if there are 2,235 individuals, it is an impossible task.

Hope that helps answer OP's question.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (14.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I did try the LDS system in Laie. It had never heard of either side of my family. Go figure. I'm afraid to try the DNA tests now - they might prove I'm not even human since no record can be found of my family. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I'm afraid to try the DNA tests now - they might prove I'm not even human since no record can be found of my family. YMMV
23andme says I'm nearly 4% Neanderthal, which has a certain cachet to it.

The Neander valley in Germany is not far from where my paternal ancestors were from, so I suspect the DNA results are fairly accurate.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I did try the LDS system in Laie. It had never heard of either side of my family. Go figure. I'm afraid to try the DNA tests now - they might prove I'm not even human since no record can be found of my family. YMMV
But if that turns out to be true, think of the bragging rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
23andme says I'm nearly 4% Neanderthal, which has a certain cachet to it.

The Neander valley in Germany is not far from where my paternal ancestors were from, so I suspect the DNA results are fairly accurate.
I just got back my results from 23andme. I have less German ancestry, but also lots of Neanderthal (just under 4% and 339 variants).
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

(Along the same lines, it used to be said that, in Australia, an 'aristocrat' is someone who can trace his ancestry back to his father.)
From the few Aussies I've talked with, the highest ancestry status there is to be descended from an English prisoner brought there in the late 1700's. So I ask if they are descended from a murderer, a robber, or a mere petty thief.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

DW gave me a DNA test for Christmas. Results were (in descending %)
Europe West
Scandinavia
Great Britain
Ireland
Finland/NW Russia
Italy/Greece
North Africa

The last five had a range that began with "0%".

Frankly, I didn't find it that interesting, since it's so vague. Or maybe I'm just a caucasian mutt.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote