Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else having a Hotmail/Windows Live Hotmail service problem?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone else having a Hotmail/Windows Live Hotmail service problem?

One of my Hotmail accounts has been out of service for over 14 hours (since ~8 PM HST Mon 20 Oct). I can still log into all the other "Windows Live" stuff but when I try the Hotmail link I get "Windows Live Hotmail wasn't able to complete this request because your account is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

I've done the usual "trouble ticket" and feedback actions. At this point all I can do is wait and hope that 10+ years of e-mail hasn't been wiped out by some server crash. Sure, I have an Outlook .pst file downloaded to my hard drive, but that doesn't back up all the contacts and safe lists and other preferences. It also won't stop people from sending e-mail to that address or wondering why it's bouncing.

Any idea what could be causing the problem? Anything else I could be doing to expedite its resolution?

I remember that for the last couple months Microsoft has been threatening to "upgrade" my Hotmail to "Windows Live Hotmail". Has anyone else experienced this outage during an upgrade?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords,
I think the outage is the result of the upgrade (although I don't see much difference). I experienced the same thing with one of my accounts, wasn't able to access in the evening but by morning it was fine.

-- Rita
Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I put in a second (more detailed) trouble ticket around the 16-hour point and stopped checking after the 20-hour point.

It was up when I booted this morning. No explanations, no apologies, my Hotmail account just popped back into existence as if nothing had happened.

I had several unviewed messages stored in different folders but now everything has been viewed. I don't know the significance of that but I can't see any other differences.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It was up when I booted this morning. No explanations, no apologies, my Hotmail account just popped back into existence as if nothing had happened.
Yup. That was my experience too.

-- Rita