Anyone Else Having Problems w/ bogleheads.org

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today I started getting a warning that the site was not secure and that someone might be trying to steal identity. I opted back to safety. Just curious if anyone else is getting the same message.

I got the same thing earlier tonight. And, as you, I immediately backed out. I've never seen that before.

If you bypass the security warning you can enter.

This is posted at bogleheads....

"Our SSL certificate has expired. Our system admin has been notified. There is no danger or security breach. - Alex Frakt"

It is very common for companies to fail to renew their SSL certificates on time. If it is a site I regularly use and trust I generally use it anyway after confirming that I really entered the correct URL. I would not do this for a sensitive site (e.g. investment). If you are particularly security conscious wait a few days for them to renew their certificate and the warning will go away.

Thanks, all, for the input..........makes me feel a lot better that nobody is picking on me alone. .........and user, thanks for being daring and finding the reason. Looks like the site is normal again.

What if the significance of that SSL certificate? If you have it and it is active, does that "guarantee"
that the site is not malicious or does that just lower the probability that it is? What does it take to get
or renew one?

Last edited:
You're welcome.

A new certificate has been installed. You are good to go.

Thanks, all, for the input..........makes me feel a lot better that nobody is picking on me alone. .........and user, thanks for being daring and finding the reason. Looks like the site is normal again.

What if the significance of that SSL certificate? If you have it and it is active, does that "guarantee"
that the site is not malicious or does that just lower the probability that it is? What does it take to get
or renew one?
SSL certificate is necessary for a secure channel of communications between your browser and the web server on other end. The communications are encrypted, and it is unlikely that the communications could be intercepted and decrypted. This assumes the communications are using what's considered to be a strong cypher suite.

If a site allows it's certificate to expire, I would look deeper into the operation. If it's not a site you need, you probably should heed the warning until the problem is fixed.

If you bypass the security warning you can enter.

"Our SSL certificate has expired. Our system admin has been notified. There is no danger or security breach. - Alex Frakt"

Just the BH's trying to keep expenses to a minimum.

They may have fixed it? I just went there and saw no security notification.

Back
Top Bottom