Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else use Mint.com?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone else use Mint.com?

I was hesitant to sign up when I first heard about it but it's great web site for tracking your expenses, net worth, etc. This month I'm going to go through and categorize all of my transactions so I'll know exactly how much I'm spending and on what.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently, yes. It has been discussed on these and other threads:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ite-31288.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ree-40920.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ite-30095.html
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

Cool thanks. I need to start using the feature.

I just read through those links but there wasn't much posted about mint.com. Now that it has more recognition, I wonder if more people are using it or if people are still hesitant.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Easily Manage Your Money with Yodlee MoneyCenter
Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I'm pretty sure Yodlee is the engine that mint.com (and some other financial sites which let you look at "external" accounts) uses as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Putting in all your account information to link and display accounts sounds a little scary.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Putting in all your account information to link and display accounts sounds a little scary.
You took the words right out of my mouth. TY for saying that. We all have online account information here and there, but to link it all together at one site may merit some serious reconsideration.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use it, and I like it very much especially since they've added the ability to track non-account type assets like a house, car, etc.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had been using Mint but my Chase accounts stopped updating. Given that the CC I use is Chase based it made it pretty much worthless. They are coming up 60 days without an update to these account. Sending in a question to the support team returns a form letter "we're working on it" but nothing explaining what they are trying to do to resolve the issue. They keep passing the buck to their "provider" which is Yodlee. The lack of support is what killed it for me.

I switched to Quicken for tracking and hope that Mint pulls it together. Mint has a better interface and much better tracking and reporting of investment accounts.
brianinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I suspect my use of such sites would be plagued with the same problems that finally stopped me using Vanguard's "Dashboard" feature:
My financial institutions keep changing their security requirements without warning; as a result, I'll log onto my dashboard only to find that there's a "problem" with one of my accounts, which I then have to spend an hour or more, tracking down and unraveling. This happened often enough to cause serious annoyance.
Thus, I've returned to the Stone Age, by creating my own spreadsheets and tracking our accounts one by one from their web sites.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #11

I cannot imagine that there is ANY online company I would trust with all my account logins and passwords. I will NEVER use this, or any other, consolidator.

It's even a bit of a stretch to imagine my financial life even being complicated enough that I would want to, quite aside from the insurmountable security issue.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Yeah, it is a little scary. Doing any banking online is kind of scary. The Mint CEO talks about the security here - How Mint Personal Finance Management Protects Your Financial Safety - Financial Calculator | Mint.com

He mentions laws (specifically regulation B) that protect consumers from online bank fraud. Does anyone know anything about it?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Bank5, if you want to get a feel of how folks on the forum view giving their information to Mint or other 'consolidation' online sites, why don't you do a poll?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #14

"Mint asks for the online accounts and passwords, but doesn't store them." he says. So when you return to the site, how is it that your account information is displayed? I suspect that it's because Mint doesn't store your account info, but the back end processing company which they use for lookup does.

I find this splitting of hairs about Mint not being the one to store the info to be deceitful. They clearly mean for you to believe that the info is not stored, but it looks like it is stored, just not by them. It's stored by a third party you know even less about. It makes me distrustful of their other statements and I think I'll need to watch out for other language tricks - why would I want to get involved at all?

YMMV. But definitely not my kind of thing.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #15

If someone somehow broke into my mint account they can't see thing like account numbers and passwords. They could see stuff like:

Bank of XYZ checking: $1234
Bank of ABC credit card: $1234
Schwab Money Market: $5678
Vanguard -
Total Intl Stock: $1234
S&P 500 Indx: $5678

You can't click on an account to re-edit an account number or anything. You can add new accounts or repair links to existing but you'd be entering new information all over again for each one.

You can't move money anywhere either, so it's not like someone could transfer money to their checking account if they did break in.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #16

Where do the balances in your display come from? For example, XYZ checking - how does Mint know that the balance is $1234?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #17

Mint uses yodlee, a company that does account data services for many large banks and investment firms.

Obviously your account information is stored somewhere in a database. My point above was that mint itself isn't an avenue forgetting to log off at the internet cafe or having a key logger at the library while you use mint is going to expose you to financial damage, except maybe someone realizing you've got lots of money.

Sure, maybe someday a hacker can break into yodlee. Or your bank, or fidelity, or vanguard, or your email account with all those juicy electronic statements. But worrying about that sounds like my Mom, who still refuses to bank online because she's worried about security of it all. She's right technically I mean the bank's database is there to be broken into anyway but using the internet to manage her account does expose her to a little more risk.