Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Any one else notice that open displays of tearfulness were remarkably absent compared to how it would be in the US? A commentator suggested that this was cultural.
You would never know given how many men's tears you see on telenovelas!

Maybe it's Chilean cultural.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
On the cnn feed it looks like there is a problem with the capsule closing correctly. It seems there was a mention of several rescue capsules having been constructed so I expect it can be swapped out if necessary.
The Spanish feed I was watching said it was just routine preventative maintenance. Now done and descending again.

Audrey
Old 10-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Balls of Steel is up next - he asked for both his wife and mistress to be present - seems his wife exercised some power and said unhunh. Wonder how long his life will be after reentry to the surface world.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Balls of Steel is up next - he asked for both his wife and mistress to be present - seems his wife exercised some power and said unhunh. Wonder how long his life will be after reentry to the surface world.
It was pretty interesting to see the reunion between him and his wife. His wife was crying and seemed pretty happy to see him while his reaction was pretty reserved I thought. Maybe he's saving his happy reaction/tears for his girlfriend si?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Super impressive in every weay. THE miners are amazingly strong, and the governemnt and I suppose teh mining company did a great job of constructing and operating a very simple but apparently effective system of escape.

Does anyone know if the ascent is made in darkness, or is there a small light in the capsule?

I wonder if these guys will be able to head back down in the future.

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a light atop the capsule.

Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #27

CNN has some video of the tunnel:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Does anyone know if the ascent is made in darkness, or is there a small light in the capsule?

I believe the miners' helmets have a small light in the front, but that is all. However, they do have oxygen and a communication device if they run into trouble (ie. panic attacks).
Old 10-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Read on MSNBC that his wife is not pleased and plans to be AWOL when he surfaces. Things must have changed down there. When I was better aquainted with Latin mores about the only available woman many a guy didn't sleep with was his wife, at least after a few years and a few babies. He must have been one careful guy, as this extra relationship is 10 years old, and according to MSNBC, neither woman knew about the other till they met at the mine. No tell-tale text messages or foreign scents or suspicion arousing phone calls or unexplained absences. Or the women did know about it but they wisely don't want TV to wallow in that.

Also, glad to hear that there is light. That capsule sure looks confining. I guess miners tend not be claustrophobic, and I am glad about that!

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Amazing coverage! I was absolutely riveted to it last night and stayed up until #5 before I fell asleep, around 2 AM our time I think.

When I awakened this morning at 10 AM, I think they were pulling up #15. I watched until we went to lunch.

What a miracle that any of them at all were rescued alive!! And it looks like they may all be saved.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

They seem to be going faster. I think number 26 only took a little over 9 minutes to ascend! Keeping my fingers crossed! 7 to go plus 5 rescuers to go.

The capsule is looking pretty messy now.

Audrey
Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They seem to be going faster. I think number 26 only took a little over 9 minutes to ascend! Keeping my fingers crossed! 7 to go plus 5 rescuers to go.

The capsule is looking pretty messy now.

Audrey
You answered what I was going to ask- how many rescuers down there. With continued good fortune, I think they should all be out by midnight their time.

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #33

The five (soon to be six) rescuers who volunteered to go down are the true heroes.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
The five (soon to be six) rescuers who volunteered to go down are the true heroes.
YES! That's exactly what I think!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Yup risking ones life to save others is pretty much the textbook definition of a hero. Especially the first couple of guys, how did they know they could get back to the surface.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

They are all heroes as far as I am concerned. A wonderful thing to be able to watch.

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Yup risking ones life to save others is pretty much the textbook definition of a hero. Especially the first couple of guys, how did they know they could get back to the surface.
All of five of 'em, for, God forbid, anything could still go wrong, from catastrophic equipment failure, a cave-in of the Plan B rescue shaft, or another Chilean earthquake while the rescue operation is happening. This is high drama!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

It is a joy to see the happy faces of the bystanders, and especially the brave and lovely women who have been waiting- and for a long time, not even knowing whether the miners were dead or alive.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

OK - 3 miners to go, and then the rescuers. This is just so riveting and so hoping everyone gets out safely really soon!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I almost missed the watching it live, thanks for the heads up. It's much better watching live than seeing the news coverage.

I wonder why they needed so many rescuers sent down (why more than one)?