Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Ever Made Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Pudding With Splenda?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone Ever Made Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Pudding With Splenda?

I want to make some pumpkin custard/pudding using Splenda. I haven't made many desserts, but last spring I had really good luck with stewed rhubarb and Splenda.

Any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks~

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've made pie using Splenda, but not recently. My recipe calls for brown sugar as well as regular white sugar, and I did find brown-Splenda and it worked well. In fact, I think the brown Splenda works more like real brown Sugar than regular bulk Splenda works as a sugar substitute. Splenda in packages works well in coffee or tea, and I like to add a packet into smoothies sometimes. But I always had problems coming up with the right measurement when using larger amounts in cooking. Depending on the recipe, cooking method, etc., I never could find a satisfactory substitution factor like 1 cup sugar = X of Splenda. It led me to play it by ear all the time, adding a portion and tasting, and continuing to do so until it tasted right. That should work easily enough for you with something like pumpkin pie.

The caveat here is I'm not that skilled/experience a cook, so it could just be me.

Anyway, I'm rusty on it now as I took to baking this past year and I've been sticking with traditional ingredients like real sugar while I'm trying to get the hang of it. It has morphed into an effort to improve my cooking skills overall, and I'm sticking with traditional ingredients across the board. (Except that I have been using Stevia for sweetening drinks and such more than Splenda.)
Old 12-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I Googled it for you:

"pumpkin pie" +splenda - Google Search

Apparently, there are a kagillion recipes available. I will be curious to find out what you end up with.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't cook much, but I haven't had much luck baking with Splenda at all. I use it for other things. I don't keep sugar in my house.

Edited to add: My former Weight Watchers leader told the group that she advised other artificial sweeteners for baking, for similar reasons. I'm sure that the manufacturers of Splenda would argue that point as would others, but I just wanted to provide it for input. As for me, if I wanted a fresh baked sugarfree pumpkin pie I would go to my supermarket's bakery department. They have a lot of sugarfree baked goods. So do bakeries.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
I want to make some pumpkin custard/pudding using Splenda. I haven't made many desserts, but last spring I had really good luck with stewed rhubarb and Splenda.

Thanks~

Ha
I've never tried making pumpkin pie with Splenda, and I definitely would not try substituting Splenda in a recipe that says to use sugar, because sometimes sugar serves more purposes in a recipe than just providing a sweet flavor.

If I wanted to find a recipe for it, I would google "pumpkin pie" + recipe + Splenda. Also I would guess Splenda has its own website, probably with recipes. Given the season, I would expect there to be a pumpkin pie recipe there now. A third place I would look for a recipe for sugar-free pumpkin pie is diabetic cookbooks or cooking sites.

Good luck!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've made other pies with splenda, and here's what I've learned:

1. If you use Splenda for all the sweetening, it can be too much, and you get a splenda aftertaste. I've thrown away a cheesecake made with all splenda. Instead I always use half splenda and half erythritol.

2. If you're using splenda to avoid carbs as well as sugar, note that the powdered form uses maltrodextrin to bulk it up. It has .5 g per tsp or 24 g/cup. Instead, use this liquid form of splenda which is great.

Here are some recipes I have not tried:

Low Carb Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie - LowCarbFriends Recipes

Low Carb Pumpkin Pie Pancake/Omelette - LowCarbFriends Recipes
Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #7

FWIW, I thought I remember seeing a picture of pumpkin pies being made not too long ago on this board. I don't recall seeing Splenda in it.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ha, Al seems to know this territory well.

Please keep us posted on the results.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've made other pies with splenda, and here's what I've learned:

1. If you use Splenda for all the sweetening, it can be too much, and you get a splenda aftertaste. I've thrown away a cheesecake made with all splenda. Instead I always use half splenda and half erythritol.

2. If you're using splenda to avoid carbs as well as sugar, note that the powdered form uses maltrodextrin to bulk it up. It has .5 g per tsp or 24 g/cup. Instead, use this liquid form of splenda which is great.

Here are some recipes I have not tried:

Low Carb Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie - LowCarbFriends Recipes

Low Carb Pumpkin Pie Pancake/Omelette - LowCarbFriends Recipes
Al, I realize that I narrowed my question too much. I looked up those other substances like erythritol, but I don't know anything about any of them, except that I have made rhubarb with Splenda which is the only thing I saw at my Safeway. I thought this was the same as stevia, but I see that it is not.

If you were going to make no sucrose low carb pumpkin pie filling, what would you sweeten it with?

I agree Ed, AL is the man when it comes to knowledge of low carb cooking.

BTW, I found that Uwajimaya sells very good hogs' liver for $1.49/#. I made some tonight, just a quick stir fry with one slice chopped bacon, slivered yellow onion, minced green onion, garlic and dried parsley. Extremely satisfying and delicious.

Ha
Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, I found that Uwajimaya sells very good hogs' liver for $1.49/#. I made some tonight, just a quick stir fry with one slice chopped bacon, slivered yellow onion, minced green onion, garlic and dried parsley. Extremely satisfying and delicious.
Interesting. (Taking a SWAG at quantities.)

Liver & Onion.JPG
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Interesting. (Taking a SWAG at quantities.)

Attachment 10674
Ron, thanks for showing this. What kind of cool software do you have to do this analysis?

My quantities are a litle larger across the board- maybe 6 or 7 oz of liver, several green onions, closer to a tbsp of dried parsley, 2 garlic cloves, but I get the picture.

Liver itself is not really low carb, I suppose due to glycogen, and neither are onions extremely low carb.

But close enough. I have found that if I avoid what are usually called staples (bread, rice, beer, potatoes) and desserts and more than a little fruit it works fine for me.

I have never been able to eat really small amounts. It just doesn't do it for me. If I am hungry, I want to eat till I feel normal again.

Ha
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you were going to make no sucrose low carb pumpkin pie filling, what would you sweeten it with?
Definitely half liquid sucralose (Splenda) and half erythritol.

I might even use all erythritol, but using more than one sweetener often means that any non-sugar tastes are below a threshold. That's the theory anyway.

Erythritol is almost too good to be true, though I guess it's a little expensive ($7.50/lb). I get it here. Netrition.com is a good source, since they have a flat low shipping charge, so if you get a bunch of things, the prices are good.

Replace table sugar with the granulated erythritol, and you might not even notice the difference (though there's a kind of cooling sensation on the tongue).

Here's some good information:

What Are Sugar Alcohols - Blood Sugar and Sugar Alcohols

Erythritol - What it is and Where to Get It
Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Definitely half liquid sucralose (Splenda) and half erythritol.

I might even use all erythritol, but using more than one sweetener often means that any non-sugar tastes are below a threshold. That's the theory anyway.

Erythritol is almost too good to be true, though I guess it's a little expensive ($7.50/lb). I get it here. Netrition.com is a good source, since they have a flat low shipping charge, so if you get a bunch of things, the prices are good.

Replace table sugar with the granulated erythritol, and you might not even notice the difference (though there's a kind of cooling sensation on the tongue).

Here's some good information:

What Are Sugar Alcohols - Blood Sugar and Sugar Alcohols

Erythritol - What it is and Where to Get It
Thanks Al, this is what I needed. While you are around, I have one other question about artificial sweeteners. Today my dance partner was making what I think she called "sil"-pickled herring to me. I got her recipe. Do you think that 50/50 granulated erythritol and liquid splenda are a good combo to use for this? I don't think the sugar is acting as a curing agent, just as a sweetener to take the edge off the vinegar.

Ha
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I think that would work fine. We got some nice sil from a friend, and might drain it, rinse it, and "repickle" it with artificial sweetener.

Related to that, I make sweet relish by buying dill relish and adding liquid Splenda:

Recipe:

10 fl oz Dill relish
5 drops Splenda
Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ron, thanks for showing this. What kind of cool software do you have to do this analysis?
First, let me explain. I followed TAl's thread on his Low-Carb six-month report until my curiosity was tweaked enough to investigate it further. So I purchased the book, The New Atkins, and was told of cutting Carbs to less than 20 per day. Okay, that should be easy. Well, I found it to be a lot more complicated than that. While counting Calories is extremely easy -- you simply control the amount of food that you eat -- counting Carbs involved a whole more. (This is like Budgeting your money by cutting back on spending that I spoke of in this thread.) Problem number one is not depriving yourself of basic nutrition -- or, more specifically, creating a major imbalance. Number two was how do you control Carb intake in such small amounts?

Anyway, the nitty gritty was way beyond my abilities so I did what I always do under those circumstance -- I run out and buy a bunch of tools. The first was to purchase NutriBase, a diet software program. (This is the program I used to analyze your Liver & Onions meal.) The second thing I purchased was a Perfect Portion Food Scale. This scale measures weight in Grams and allows you to set the start point to zero -- so that you can accurately measure what goes on your plate by weighing, setting to zero, adding food, weighing, setting to zero, etc. (I should also add that this purchase allowed me to remove the USPS Postal Scale from the kitchen.)

I have been "on this kick" for about six weeks now (lost 15 lbs) and am just beginning to understand it all. In any event, NutriBase gives me some pretty nifty reports. For example, here are a couple of yesterday's:

Food 09 Dec.JPG

Carbs 09 Dec.JPG

Log 09 2010.JPG

FWIW, there have been a few "surprises" -- one, I don't miss my previous can't-do-without staples; potates and bread... at all. Second is how good low-carb foods taste -- I quickly found that calorie count was important despite what the Atkins folks say. And thirdly, not all vegetables are low-carb; who'd a thought that Squash and Beets would be off-limits.

OOPS: I seem to have left out the two eggs I had for Breakfast.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

That software looks good. Lena's been religiously tracking her "input" with fatsecret.com for five months. It works pretty well, but sometimes she gets annoyed with it.

But I guess that buying your wife diet-related software would be worse than getting her a new vacuum cleaner.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
gone traveling

DW makes a really good Low-Carb piecrust using crushed Murrays's Sugar-Free Shortbread cookies... not sure of the exact recipe, can follow up if anyone is interested.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But I guess that buying your wife diet-related software would be worse than getting her a new vacuum cleaner.
Oh yeah. The guy who gives his woman that had better get a real comfy couch 'cause he ain't gonna see the bedroom for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

Anyway, the nitty gritty was way beyond my abilities so I did what I always do under those circumstance -- I run out and buy a bunch of tools. The first was to purchase NutriBase, a diet software program. (This is the program I used to analyze your Liver & Onions meal.) The second thing I purchased was a Perfect Portion Food Scale. This scale measures weight in Grams and allows you to set the start point to zero -- so that you can accurately measure what goes on your plate by weighing, setting to zero, adding food, weighing, setting to zero, etc. (I should also add that this purchase allowed me to remove the USPS Postal Scale from the kitchen.)

I have been "on this kick" for about six weeks now (lost 15 lbs) and am just beginning to understand it all. In any event, NutriBase gives me some pretty nifty reports. For example, here are a couple of yesterday's:
Ron, that is so cool! And congrats on your weight loss!

Ha
Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #19

I have a sort of related question - I really don't like the after taste of artificial sweeteners - what I've done in my baking is reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.

Do any of these 'substitutes' have a sugar taste? Splenda is too sweet to me and has a bad after taste; I've never heard of the erythritol - I've also read about other types of sweeteners: agave nectar, Sucanat, Rapadura, stevia....anyone have experience with these?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #20

After reading an article about Splenda a few years ago I decided to use it in my car battery when it gets weak. That's as far as I'll go with Splenda.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote