Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've had replacement on my mind lately and am also interested in feedback about the upgrades. I used the iPad to read the news and prefer to browse with multiple tabs, the image heavy pages are now just to big to do that and cause Safari to crash regularly.
Well the iPad Pro has 4 GB of RAM, double the amount of the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4.

Older iPads have even less RAM.

However, I'll probably look for one of the Black Friday deals for iPad Air 2.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Already burned through our camera/computer budg for the year, but the pro and pencil look awesome. Would be totally great if it could be linked to Lightroom/PS as a Wacom replacement

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #23
Administrator

I like the look of the iPad Pro and will probably get one in about a year. Hard to justify replacing my existing iPad which is 3 years old, and I use it a lot. This last 3 years I didn't take my laptop on our long vacations - I let DW carry hers and found that I still much prefer manipulating spreadsheets on a laptop, and the ease of using a mouse for selecting text, cutting and pasting etc is still much better on a laptop.

I didn't buy the 4G version and won't buy the 4G version with the Pro. Setting up a personal hotspot on the iPhone was easy but even then I hardly ever use the iPad on the hotspot as we are always within wifi when I really want to use the iPad.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #24

My DW may be getting one for christmas. The Pencil is they key feature for her. We're going by the Apple Store to take a look.

I'm dying for a new iMac. My trusty 27" is from 2010 and I so much want the new one with the 5K display. Maybe next year if I have some wiggle room in the budget.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
What I finally decided was a good combination was the iPad Pro plus a cheap laptop.
I think I'll do just the opposite. Good laptop and a cheap tablet. I can't find a lot of reasons to have a tablet besides travel.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Way out of my league. I have an old Coby 10" tablet that I use once in awhile, and hate it because it is heavy, slow, grainy and runs Android 2.3.

I did some research and found out that the B&N Nook HD could be made to run Lollipop easily. So I got one for $28 off ebay, got it up and running in a half hour and spent the next six hours playing with it, being thoroughly impressed (it has a very good screen, 1440 x 900)...and then the digitizer crapped out and it went nuts.

So I just bought another one.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #27

Just saw a demo of an app made for iPad Pro drawing. It is called Procreate and costs $5.99 from what I'm told by the Apple Store employee. He likes it better than Paper53 and Adobe Sketch. YMMV.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I wish I wanted an iPad Pro! But I don't. Don't get me wrong; I have an iPad 2 that I bought in January, 2012, and I love having it. I play pretty little mindless iPad games on it, and I use it to surf the web late at night when I am too sleepy to do that on anything else. I do most of my computing on my laptop, and for me the iPad is more of a toy - - but I don't mean that in a deprecating sense, because it is a great toy! Nothing wrong with that. It is the cheapest possible version, 16GB+Wi-Fi only. Wi-Fi only is fine because I only use it while sitting in my armchair at home. I have only filled half of available memory. I really like my iPad and it is still fine for everything I need from it.

But, it is getting pretty old by now, and eventually I will need to retire it and get another iPad. Maybe next year. Although the larger screen size is appealing, so is something light in weight and sometimes these can be conflicting desires. When the time comes, I'll probably try out several different types of iPad and make up my mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

On long flights, you see people watching movies on iPads, more than reading books, it seems.

Apple probably noticed this and it was probably a factor in putting out the larger screen model, with 4 bigger speakers in the front.

They tout the drawing and productivity abilities, if you buy the expensive pen and keyboard add-ons.

But far more people will probably watch videos than draw or do a lot of typing on these.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #30
gone traveling

Can any one comment on the ease of porting your stuff from an older iPad to the Pro?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Can any one comment on the ease of porting your stuff from an older iPad to the Pro?
It depends on which OS you're running on the old one.

The latest iOS version is 9.1 or 9.2. That is what you're likely to get on a new iPad.

So if you are running 9.1 or 9.2, and you turn on backups (either to iCloud or to the iTunes on your computer), you can restore the backup to the new iPad when you log in with your iCloud password (or Apple ID).

You can also put a separate password on your backups too, in case your iCloud account is hacked.

So if you have compatible OSes between your old and new iPads, you will be able to select the most recent restore from your old iPad.
That will copy over your apps, your photos, your email settings, browser bookmarks, music.

You will have to enter your Wifi password again and you may have to log into a lot of the third-party apps.

The new iPads have Touch ID, which is for unlocking your iPad with fingerprints. That you will have to do on the new device, it won't transfer from an older device. However, I don't believe iPad Pro has Touch ID.

I transferred from an older iPhone to the iPhone 6S Plus and besides re-training it to read my finger prints, there were several banking apps that I had to log back into manually.

A lot of these, like apps from Schwab, Chase, Etrade, Citi, all support TouchID authentication so they make you log in with your password once, then go to the settings to turn on TouchID and the next time you open these apps, you can just use the same fingerprint to open the apps. that you use for unlocking the iPhone or iPad.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I don't know why that would be any different from moving from an older iPad to a newer retina iPad mini. Seamless, I would expect. A few new features.

I absolutely adore the fingerprint login feature.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't know why that would be any different from moving from an older iPad to a newer retina iPad mini. Seamless, I would expect. A few new features.

I'm not iProficient so this is a mystery to me Perhaps Apple has some step by step instructions with pictures. I am planning to give DW one for Christmas and I just want to understand what I am in for.

Thanks for your comments explanade.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Although the larger screen size is appealing, so is something light in weight and sometimes these can be conflicting desires. When the time comes, I'll probably try out several different types of iPad and make up my mind.
The screen size was an issue for me since I wanted something light. I was actually shocked when I picked up in the store and it was so light. It is actually only a tenth of a pound heavier than my regular iPad. And, strangely enough, it actually feels lighter (perhaps because the weight is distributed over a larger area).

I just got notice that it shipped and it should be here early next week. I ordered the Logitech keyboard cover (cheaper and more features than the Apple one) and it has already arrived. The pencil is on back order to the end of December.

DFW_M5 - I will let you know how my moving to it goes next week.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It might be trickier to migrate from an older model to the latest, because some models can't be updated to the latest version of iOS.

Here are the general instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269
Old 11-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #36

Apple seems to be in it's holiday return policy window. You should double check, but I was told anything you buy now is returnable before January 8.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I'm finding that fingerprint login is really great for security as well as login convience. Lastpass uses fingerprint loggin's so it is much safer to look at financial info and many of the password recall issues are removed. Lastpass also allows one to save secure notes.

BTW, just bought an Ipad Mini 2 for our son as a birthday present ... $200 from Walmart + free shipping.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

One thing about TouchID and locking your device in general.

In the wake of the Paris attacks, some law enforcement officials are renewing demands that the companies which make these mobile devices provide a backdoor, so that law enforcement and intelligence agencies can unlock any device for intelligence and surveillance purposes.

Apple, Google and others argue that they can't do it without compromising the security of the products and the privacy of their customers. Because if you weaken the encryption to allow law enforcement to crack it or access it, it would also permit cyber criminals to do the same.

But even before they started encrypting devices, police departments have been using special devices to extract your texts and phone calls and contacts and other info from smart phones.

There have been cases where the police told people to unlock their phones for them and a lot of people, not knowing their rights, complied. And there have been cases where police have abused people who complied, such as a copy forwarding intimate pictures on the phone to his own phone.

There have been cases, though not at the SCOTUS level, where cops can't compel you to unlock your device for them without a warrant.

However, it's a gray area as to whether they could physically force you to unlock the device with your fingerprint.

The distinction is that they can't force you to unlock by passcode because that's private info and protected from unauthorized search whereas a fingerprint is a physical attribute, not protected by the 4th amendment.

So, with TouchID on iOS devices, there is a 48-hour expiration if the device hasn't been unlocked in that time. That means the device would require the passcode and not accept the fingerprint if it's been 48 hours since the device was last unlocked.

The device also requires a passcode after a reboot.

And the device won't take a fingerprint if you have 3 failures. So lets say you set up your right middle finger to unlock the device. You try it 3 times with your index finger and now the device requires a passcode, whoops, sorry Mr. Police.

However, I've heard that some countries like Australia may require you to allow them to search your belongings before being allowed to enter the country and it would include your computers as well as your devices.

If you refuse to comply, you might have to leave your device with them during your visit.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
It might be trickier to migrate from an older model to the latest, because some models can't be updated to the latest version of iOS.

Here are the general instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269
Thanks, DW's current iPad is on 9.1.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

To my shock, my iPad Pro arrived about 10 AM this morning. I was surprised because it arrived in Tennessee last night (it came from China). FedEx tracking said it would be here by 10:30 AM next Monday so I was very surprised to find it at my door this morning.

To transfer stuff from my iPad to the iPad Pro I basically just restored my latest iCloud back up to the new iPad Pro. I did the iCloud back up as that my most recent one. I could have used a restore from iTunes on my computer had that been the most recent back up.

It was very painless and when you start up the iPad Pro it walks you step by step through everything you need to do.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote