Anyone have a pet on Apoquel?

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does anyone on the forum have a pet currently on Apoquel (for allergies)? If so, have you noticed any side effects such as being more susceptible to infections?

Our soft coated Wheaton terrier is having some issues with recurring infections around her lower mouth/lips. She has really bad allergies to practically everything - food, environment, etc. - so that's why she's currently on Apoquel. According to the vet, the mouth infection is bacterial, which makes me wonder if the Apoquel has caused her immune system to not be as effective fighting bacteria.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't have pets, but a simple Google search discloses the fact that Apoquel makes your pet more susceptible to serious infections.

https://www.zoetisus.com/bmst-minisite-apoquel/index.aspx

While no medication is free of side effects, I would suggest discussing alternative treatments with your vet.

Last edited:
Thanks, Meadbh. Yeah, we've searched and read, searched and read, but not too satisfied with what we've found or with the options the vet has mentioned thus far. I'm hoping to hear some real world experience from others.

Does the vet have her on any anti-allergy drugs other than the Apoquel? Apoquel supposedly stops the itching ( which would be important for the dog's well-being) - it really doesn't appear to address the underlying problem. I would think the goal would be to halt or reduce the allergic reaction - not just mask the symptoms. Has your vet biopsied the mouth/lips to rule out the possibility of autoimmune disease? I'm somewhat sceptical about "bacterial mouth infection" Inflammation of the gums around the teeth is common, but inflammation in the lips isn't.

No, the only drug she is on is Apoquel. She is allergic to most everything and is on a hypoallergenic / prescription dog food and her teeth are in excellent condition. The vet has mentioned running allergy tests but I doubt we'll do that. Yes, the vet did do a biopsy of the mouth infection and confirmed it was a bacterial infection (not a yeast infection). She was on a 21-day antibiotic treatment recently for the same thing and it cleared it up, however, it's now back just 2 weeks later.

She was on a 21-day antibiotic treatment recently for the same thing and it cleared it up, however, it's now back just 2 weeks later.
Because of her susceptibility to reinfection she may need to stay on longer, or your vet may want to consider long-term low dose antibiotics. I had a dog with recurrent Urinary infections, and that was his solution: we treated for 28 days, retested to assure the infection was gone, then went on low-dose antibiotic as a maintenance procedure.

Back
Top Bottom