Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone have a pet on Apoquel?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone have a pet on Apoquel?

Does anyone on the forum have a pet currently on Apoquel (for allergies)? If so, have you noticed any side effects such as being more susceptible to infections?

Our soft coated Wheaton terrier is having some issues with recurring infections around her lower mouth/lips. She has really bad allergies to practically everything - food, environment, etc. - so that's why she's currently on Apoquel. According to the vet, the mouth infection is bacterial, which makes me wonder if the Apoquel has caused her immune system to not be as effective fighting bacteria.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have pets, but a simple Google search discloses the fact that Apoquel makes your pet more susceptible to serious infections.

https://www.zoetisus.com/bmst-minisi...uel/index.aspx

While no medication is free of side effects, I would suggest discussing alternative treatments with your vet.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Thanks, Meadbh. Yeah, we've searched and read, searched and read, but not too satisfied with what we've found or with the options the vet has mentioned thus far. I'm hoping to hear some real world experience from others.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Does the vet have her on any anti-allergy drugs other than the Apoquel? Apoquel supposedly stops the itching ( which would be important for the dog's well-being) - it really doesn't appear to address the underlying problem. I would think the goal would be to halt or reduce the allergic reaction - not just mask the symptoms. Has your vet biopsied the mouth/lips to rule out the possibility of autoimmune disease? I'm somewhat sceptical about "bacterial mouth infection" Inflammation of the gums around the teeth is common, but inflammation in the lips isn't.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #5

No, the only drug she is on is Apoquel. She is allergic to most everything and is on a hypoallergenic / prescription dog food and her teeth are in excellent condition. The vet has mentioned running allergy tests but I doubt we'll do that. Yes, the vet did do a biopsy of the mouth infection and confirmed it was a bacterial infection (not a yeast infection). She was on a 21-day antibiotic treatment recently for the same thing and it cleared it up, however, it's now back just 2 weeks later.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
She was on a 21-day antibiotic treatment recently for the same thing and it cleared it up, however, it's now back just 2 weeks later.
Because of her susceptibility to reinfection she may need to stay on longer, or your vet may want to consider long-term low dose antibiotics. I had a dog with recurrent Urinary infections, and that was his solution: we treated for 28 days, retested to assure the infection was gone, then went on low-dose antibiotic as a maintenance procedure.