Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2020, 03:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is the current version of the machine we have (ours is DC-33A without the extra characters). It is installed under the island countertop, on the opposite side of the sink from the dishwasher.

It says: "This Scotsman DCE33A-1SSD undercounter ice machine operates with a gravity drain, so waste water flows into a floor drain by gravity. If a floor drain is unavailable at the installation location, a unit with a drain pump will be better for that establishment."

https://www.katom.com/044-DCE33A1SSD...20-%20Specific
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 05:43 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Ok it’s still fuzzy but I’m starting to better understand. Based on this statement:

If a floor drain is unavailable at the installation location, a unit with a drain pump will be better

....maybe a unit with the built in drain pump is quieter than the (builder installed?) drain pump you have. Maybe a quieter pump is an option or a condensate pump that only runs occasionally as required.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you use that much ice to justify a separate icemaker? Buy a larger frig/freezer and use space where icemaker was in island to replace lost space from larger frig.
Several homes I've rented at the shore had stand alone icemakers and they were noisy. These were new icemakers. Homes had been remodeled in 1 to 2 years. You could hear the water being added to the icemaker, the movement of the ice and almost constant sound of water running into the drain. This was in a open floor plan of kitchen/dining/living area. You could not hear it any where else in the houses, even the bedroom directly under the kitchen.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I am no plumber, but I can't imagine why the original builder would have put in a pump, if a gravity drain was available.

We really can't afford to make a mistake here. Getting a new ice machine affects not just the plumbing, but the new (custom) cabinetry as well.There's no plumbing hookup in the garage, so an ice machine couldn't go there, either.

I'd say phooey on the ice machine, except the kitchen is not big enough to accommodate a standalone freezer, freezer drawers etc, and an in-the-fridge door ice maker would take away valuable freezer space. Plus I hate them for all sorts of other reasons!
It sounds like you really want the ice machine as long as it can be quieter. Since it's in the same island as a sink and dishwasher, there has to be a drain right there. The question in my mind is why you would need a pump for the ice water to reach an adjacent drain. Maybe the older model of ice maker that you have now didn't have a gravity option when it was built, or maybe the previous owner didn't go for the best option.

Anyway, my suggestion is to consult with the contractor and/or a plumber and have them look at the installation guide for the ice maker you want to buy and the existing plumbing. See if they can tell you whether the gravity feed option on the new ice maker will work in your configuration, and if not, why not. Maybe you just need to swap the positions of the dishwasher and ice maker or something like that.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Here is the current version of the machine we have (ours is DC-33A without the extra characters). It is installed under the island countertop, on the opposite side of the sink from the dishwasher.

It says: "This Scotsman DCE33A-1SSD undercounter ice machine operates with a gravity drain, so waste water flows into a floor drain by gravity. If a floor drain is unavailable at the installation location, a unit with a drain pump will be better for that establishment."

Really sounds like the install of the current one was poorly done.

If your island has a sink, not sure why a hose was not run over to join the drain pipe of the sink.

If no sink in island and you are on a slab, at worst, just drill a hole into the slab and let the water drain there.
If you have a basement or crawlspace, then drill a hole in the floor and connect to a drain pipe.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Right, the drain pump is the objectionable (because constant) noise. The other sounds are occasional/to be expected. The house is single story, open plan; this is the only appliance that can be heard elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
You could hear the water being added to the icemaker, the movement of the ice and almost constant sound of water running into the drain. This was in a open floor plan .
Old 09-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Cathy - The sink and dishwasher are in the island; one contractor did say it could be done, but was too vague on the explanation. So l couldn't trust it. I'll just ask your questions next chance. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post

Anyway, my suggestion is to consult with the contractor and/or a plumber and have them look at the installation guide for the ice maker you want to buy and the existing plumbing. See if they can tell you whether the gravity feed option on the new ice maker will work in your configuration, and if not, why not. Maybe you just need to swap the positions of the dishwasher and ice maker or something like that.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

We're on a slab, and your question is a good one; I'll ask it next chance. Maybe there was a good reason.

Our last house had a basement; now that I recall, the in-fridge ice maker had a copper pipe going through a hole in the floor, clearly to the main house drain.

Maybe the house drain is inadequate or something. What I know about plumbing, I could put in my tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

If your island has a sink, not sure why a hose was not run over to join the drain pipe of the sink.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Here is a similar unit with built in pump. Maybe that would be quieter than an external pump setup the builder chose.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sco...20CU50PA1.html
Old 09-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

we had an ice maker under counter in townhome in our waterfront community. made sense to be able to make extra ice to bring onto boat... Well we never had a boat, removed and went with trash compactor, LOVE IT... DOESN'T MAKE ICE THOUGH ;-0
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a stand alone ice maker. Favorite appliance in the house. Best ice ever. Always full. No technical problems and the only time it is noisy is after I empty and clean it and it must refill. It has to work like a horse then about twice a year. Seriously even my dogs stand by the ice maker for ice when I open the door. I never realized how much I would love it. I believe i paid 1800 and it is a whirlpool.
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:03 AM   #52

It sounds like all your problems could be solved by getting an upright freezer with an ice maker in it. It avoids the disadvantages of a refrigerator ice maker and solves you separate ice maker problems.

If you are set on the separate ice maker, though....

Quote:

You need to talk to your contractor and the plumber and get a quote on whether you can put in a drain to tie into any other drain and to find out what it would cost to be put in a drain.

I have not done this in the kitchen. We are on slab and did remodel our bathroom. We moved our shower and then had to put in a line from the new area that tied into the old area. This did involve jackhammering the slab and putting in the line and tying it to an existing line.

We wanted to move our toilet over 6". However, I was told that redoing that would be extremely expensive (couple of thousand dollars) and it just wasn't worth it to us.

But, basically, you won't know until you ask and have them look at it and give a quote. I've had contractors tell me I didn't want to do X because it would cost $500 and that wasn't worth it to them personally when for me it was totally worth it. And, it could be that it costs more than you want to spend.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

1st off... how much ice do you use?.... We do alot of camping using coolers and $2K would not be a good investment for us to cover the ice. Twice the Ice stations here its $1 for 20lbs...

If your water has good taste (or no taste), and just need a few cubes a day, then an in fridge maker or trays should be sufficient. Bad water get trays and use bottled water.
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the alternate suggestions; I want to avoid an in-fridge ice maker if possible. I have always disliked them for any number of reasons. And ice trays are a childhood memory, to which I'd rather not return.

I'd rather not have to compromise, if there's an option that doesn't cost the earth, or involve tearing up half the floor (same difference).

A countertop ice maker sounds interesting; the house has a small wet bar in the great room, where it could reside. But the models I've scanned online have some pretty bad user reviews involving leaks, sheets of ice that don't separate into cubes, terrible customer support, and so on.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #55

If I had installed the OP machine and it was "impossible" to tie into an existing drain using gravity only (which is actually pretty likely if on a slab), then I'd use a condensate pump which only turns on when the water level in it's catch basin rises. So you could expect an additional noise when the ice maker is refreshing it's water, and very occasionally when melting ice fills the basin. But it would not be making noise all the time. BTW, NavAir's description of operation is exactly the way my ice maker works.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a AGA/Marvel undercounter ice maker. Makes crescent shaped cubes just like the refrigerator does. There is no drain and no pump. Fairly quiet in my opinion, but I am old and may not hear as well as others. This may meet your needs.
There is no defrost cycle, so we have to turn it off occasionally...but having the extra ice in the warmer months of South Carolina is very welcome.
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Thanks for the alternate suggestions; I want to avoid an in-fridge ice maker if possible. I have always disliked them for any number of reasons. And ice trays are a childhood memory, to which I'd rather not return.

I'd rather not have to compromise, if there's an option that doesn't cost the earth, or involve tearing up half the floor (same difference).

A countertop ice maker sounds interesting; the house has a small wet bar in the great room, where it could reside. But the models I've scanned online have some pretty bad user reviews involving leaks, sheets of ice that don't separate into cubes, terrible customer support, and so on.
If you're thinking of a countertop model, Wirecutter just updated their test results on them last month: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ble-ice-maker/
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The things I'm unaware of! I just thought having ice made a drink cold. Totally missed the finer points. Per the Wirecutter article:

"Clear ice causes less fizzing than cloudy ice because it’s smoother and therefore has fewer nucleation sites (crevices from air pockets, in this context) where bubbles can form, according to David Reguera, a professor in the department of fundamental physics at the University of Barcelona. The upshot is that drinks won’t go flat as quickly.

As the professor puts it: “A rough ice surface facilitates the heterogeneous nucleation of bubbles of dissolved CO₂. Hence, smooth, crystalline ice without air inclusions will produce less bubbles.”"
Old 09-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

In fact, the issue is that the pump is always running because the ice is always melting. The ice-making ("harvesting") noises are occasional, thus not bothersome.

We have had the unit serviced; it was deemed to be operating as designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If I had installed the OP machine and it was "impossible" to tie into an existing drain using gravity only (which is actually pretty likely if on a slab), then I'd use a condensate pump which only turns on when the water level in it's catch basin rises. So you could expect an additional noise when the ice maker is refreshing it's water, and very occasionally when melting ice fills the basin. But it would not be making noise all the time. BTW, NavAir's description of operation is exactly the way my ice maker works.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

We had bad experiences with Leaks and issues with the Ice Makers.... so....

I like these and ms gamboolgal has gone along with using them, for now......
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice machine, ice maker, kitchen remodel, noisy appliances