Anyone own a wet saw for tile?

Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'm stunned that it took three whole pages to digress from power tools to big boobs.

That is because we like power tools as well. Just not as much.
:D
Bruce

And done. Vinyl tile turns out to be pretty easy to install. About an hour to tear up the old carpet, pry up the tack strips, and patch the cracks and holes that the tack strip nails left. About 3.5 hours to put down all the tile. Another half hour to do the transition strips to the bedroom and closet carpet and clean up. A *very* tough bathroom to do, a lot of angles, twists, turns, and several doorways.

That angle-izer thing was absolutely useless.

The wife said I cant put down roofing material on the floors. :(

OK, sounds good. Where is the picture?

Hmmm

Got a good view of the basement yesterday - a nice simple bathroom - right!! Glad I had hired a recommended contractor. The subfloor and floor were marginal due to water  over the years.

Sooo - 3/4 plywood patch around the toilet, new subfloor and a sheet of Lowes vinyl later - done.

Any wet saw/tile projects will wait till spring and probably be tryed on outside projects first.

Meanwhile - back to boob viewing and the tool section of stores.

P.S. The old red oak floor under the carpet looks pretty bad so far - but that's another thread. Leaning toward Bellawood Brazilian Cherry - but still waffling. Step daughter in spare room went to visit a fishing resort in AL and her father on the Gulf Coast.

:confused:? - the joy:confused: of ER back in the burbs??

heh heh heh heh - time for more coffee.

Martha said:
OK, sounds good. Where is the picture?

Voila...

img_370753_0_4172e3ed617dcccf6d78ee4a4817937c.jpg

img_370753_1_fee42fcb0d9dc4e84ba9c13c131f0006.jpg

This is a problem. This morning my wife said "That was so easy, why dont we do the other bathroom and the kitchen?".

Note the 3rd party measurement of the effort required, and the illegitimate use of the term "we".... ;)

That's an amazing looking floor! The darker stuff looks even more realistic than the lighter stuff! So just to recap, that's 12" vinyl tile, right? Is it the same kind of stuff I installed, because I didn't see that color scheme.

Its armstrong stylistick II 89c a tile at home depot, 12x12. I went for the parquet look instead of the granite/tile/marble look because the parquet hides the 'lines' between the tiles that show on a homogenous pattern.

There was an identical pattern in a lighter wood, but I didnt like the contrast with the cabinets that made. There was also a 'boxed' parquet that looked good and was a better match, but I lost the 'hidden line' feature. The sell a 'true' parquet that would have been a better match for the cabinets, but nobody in the area stocked it and I wanted to dig into it while the wife has 5 days off this week.

Its armstrong stylistick II  89c a tile at home depot, 12x12.  I went for the parquet look instead of the granite/tile/marble look because the parquet hides the 'lines' between the tiles that show on a homogenous pattern.
That's exactly the same pattern we put into a livingroom in 1989. Probably the same company.

FWIW, it's worn quite well over the years. The nicest thing about it is that a gouged tile can just be pried up & replaced.

This is a problem. This morning my wife said "That was so easy, why dont we do the other bathroom and the kitchen?".

Note the 3rd party measurement of the effort required, and the illegitimate use of the term "we".... ;)

Why do husbands always pick up on that :confused:. Mine is forever correcting me.

We're funny that way. ;)

Nords, one of the main reasons I went with this. We've got three 'divots' in the kitchen sheet linoleum, necessitating its near term replacement. I'm looking forward to being able to replace it 12" at a time.

Gosh that sounded dirty for some reason.

Nords, one of the main reasons I went with this.  We've got three 'divots' in the kitchen sheet linoleum, necessitating its near term replacement.  I'm looking forward to being able to replace it 12" at a time.
My parents-in-law are coming up on their annual Mainland odyssey, and replacing their kitchen sheet vinyl is tops on the list of things to do while they're gone.

Along with oiling the shake roof, checking the water heater's anode rod, and replacing the belt on the garage door motor. It'll be a real fun time.

Hook the water heater to the roof, and tile the garage door motor. Selective incompetence can be your friend.

Cool, we were on the same wavelength, 12" parquet style vinyl tile to hide the lines and replace gouged ones. We also got it at HD for either 89 or 99 cents. We liked the light tile to keep her room nice and bright.

So now that you have it down, what do you think of it for larger spaces, like the living room? :eek:
We are debating it.

Too dark and maybe too busy. I'm still looking at the fake wood laminate even though its not terribly dog compatible.

I might try the more expensive upscale 18"vinyl tiles that look like stone/ceramic.

I wish the tack strips didnt pop up a bit of concrete at each nailing point, I'd clean the concrete and see what that looks like. Like crap with a row of splotchy dots where I filled it and the fill takes the stain at a higher rate. I really liked the look of the stained concrete with a circular-saw 1/8" groove cut every 3-4' to 'tile' it. A little hard on the feet, but sort of low maintenance...

I am seriously bummed. I had the old toilet out in the back yard (figured while i had the old no-name contractor special out, I'd put a new one in) and was just starting to think...hmmmm...little digging, little french drain flexipipe, water line from the house, and I have a flushable dog bowl...

Wife reports that this is absolutely not going to happen, and that its completely non-negotiable.

Dang. :(

On the plus side, Gabe got to 'play' in the new toilet while it sat in the living room since yesterday. Maybe he worked that out of his system now... :p

That was an ambitious plan for your old flusher! Maybe she would prefer you half bury it and use it as a planter...maybe some magnolias, or a small herb garden? :D

Nah, five minutes! I already have a 'perpetual dog bowl' hooked up with a water level valve and stainless line, but i have to pick it up and toss the "old dog water" once or twice a day.

With this hookup, all I'd have to do is flush! And drinking from shoulder height is better for a dog than drinking from the ground...

Actually she wants me to take it to the dump. While I find the idea of doing something with an old toilet "creative", she finds it "trailer trashlike".

Nah, five minutes!  I already have a 'perpetual dog bowl' hooked up with a water level valve and stainless line, but i have to pick it up and toss the "old dog water" once or twice a day.

With this hookup, all I'd have to do is flush!  And drinking from shoulder height is better for a dog than drinking from the ground...

Actually she wants me to take it to the dump.  While I find the idea of doing something with an old toilet "creative", she finds it "trailer trashlike".
Maybe you could do something artistic to satisfy her -- like add a statue of a boy peeing in the toilet that could double as a fountain. the constant airation of the fountain would also reduce the number of times per day you needed to flush. You would be saving water, creating art, and becoming the envy of all your trailer trash neighbors. :D :D :D

I am seriously bummed. I had the old toilet out in the back yard (figured while i had the old no-name contractor special out, I'd put a new one in) and was just starting to think...hmmmm...little digging, little french drain flexipipe, water line from the house, and I have a flushable dog bowl...
Actually I think I've got the solution.  If we move to a trailer park...
Hey, TH, Jeff Foxworthy just called. I think he & LarryTheCableGuy want to interview you for their next TV special...

Jeffs pretty funny, and so's that ron white guy, but larry the cable guy just doesnt do it for me.

Jeffs pretty funny, and so's that ron white guy, but larry the cable guy just doesnt do it for me.

You obviously haven't spent enough time working outdoors in a sleeveless shirt. Git-R-Done!

Who the hell wears a shirt when they're working...in or outdoors?!?

Yep, thats the routine I saw. When you cant think of a joke, say 'git-r-done'. Gives you time to remember the rest of your material. Works good the first 20-30 times.

This is what we've tenatively decided to put down in the non-bathroom areas. Under a buck a square foot. We liked some other options equally well (like cork, bamboo, etc) but we didnt like them a lot more and at 1/5th the price, with high self-installability ease, this is our winner. Considering the passel of animals and future baby mess disasters, recarpeting was just out of the question. So were a lot of lesser durability items. According to one reviewer, this stuff has stood up to "High speed big dog drag races" with no trouble. Should also help our allergies a bit. Definitely not going to pass muster with the 'wood purists' but its really very attractive, has a nice wood grain textured feel to it, and the 4"x36" self-stick 'planks' should go down at least as easily as my bathroom floor did.

http://www.novalis-intl.com/HF_Styles.htm#HF_Timber_ser

From here
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...uctId=94507-84875-WD4018&detail=cr&lpage=none

This had a shot...interesting stuff...a ceramic embossed cushioned vinyl tile. Looks like ceramic tile, feels like it, but warm and bouncy. 3.50 a square foot was the cheapest i could find, so a little too expensive, but a nice option for someone that wants the benefits of ceramics without the downside of a rock hard ice cold floor.

http://www.metroflorusa.com/products/solidity.html

So guess what I'm going to be doing for a week in august when my wife is off work... :p

By then, Gabes predilection to climb up on the couch and see what happens when he high dives off of it face first onto the carpet should have declined somewhat...

I see that the novalis product is also popular with boaters for cabin flooring. If it can take that abuse, it'll probably work out ok in my house...

Back
Top Bottom