Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
$60.00 with free shipping is actually a really good price, too bad there is no stock. Thanks DRiP Guy.

for $60, this seems to be the same thing but 10" shorter

Syma S032 RC Helicopter Metal Series with Gyro
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow...this is a fun thread. I was pleasantly surprised that DD took my hints and actually bought me a S107 and we have all enjoyed playing with it. It is a nice stress reliever!

After a few days and many, many, many crashes, it is holding up pretty well except the blades which are scuffed up pretty good. I went looking for replacements and they were not easily found EXCEPT on Ebay where they are CHEAP and plentiful....<$5 for 2 sets of main rotors (4 blades/set) including shipping. Delivery is on the order of 3-5 weeks, though.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
for $60, this seems to be the same thing but 10" shorter

Syma S032 RC Helicopter Metal Series with Gyro
I clicked on the link again and the Syma S032 is going for $49.95 now, I wonder how much shipping is?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I clicked on the link again and the Syma S032 is going for $49.95 now, I wonder how much shipping is?
Same model on E-bay can be had for as low as $39-55 including shipping for buy it now pricing, but maybe shipping will be more to your location.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #25

I just checked Ebay and they're coming from China so Shipping was the same. I wonder if they're the real deal? Anyone figure they're one of the best "value for your money" helicopters at the moment?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I would be willing to pay a good bit more to purchase domestically from an established seller just in case you need to make an exchange. The linked source has a shipping calculator indicating <$10 for Fedex Ground to my location (East Coast). These items are not heavy so it seems reasonable. If I was aware of that site before I bought spare parts from Ebay (China), I would've bought from them instead even though the cost is a good bit more it's worth it esp. with 3 day delivery.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #27

Did you have any issue what so ever with the Ebay (China) vendor other then delay in the arrival time? Or is an issue with supporting US Vendors?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did you have any issue what so ever with the Ebay (China) vendor other then delay in the arrival time? Or is an issue with supporting US Vendors?
I just ordered spare parts a few days ago so too soon to tell. My gift was from Amazon and not sure who the actual vendor was.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Same model on E-bay can be had for as low as $39-55 including shipping for buy it now pricing, but maybe shipping will be more to your location.
Well, my Syma 031 did come in, and it was exactly as described on the R/C forums, in that it is big... beautiful... and unwieldy. I quickly discovered that it is far too big and unpredictable for indoor use, and far too underpowered in forward speed and general control to be used outdoors. So it is good for neither, honestly. After much tweeking, engineering, parts, modifications, and frustration, some of the more senior forum members say the best thing to do is leave it on your shelf or cabinet as an impressive shelf-piece, then if a visitor asks, you can take it to a two foot hover, shut it down, and return it to the shelf. Luckily, it was not that big an investment, but I wish I had stayed with my original plan, with the Syma 107.

Since the S107 is still sold out, I did some research and for a bit more (okay, quite a bit more - about double the s107 price), I decided on a true indoor micro, so it's properly sized, but with enough quality to make it likely I can control and enjoy it.

I decided on the Blade mCX2 RTF package for $120. Be sure if you order this model, you get the "RTF" package, and not the "BNF" version, which is helo only, since it is designed with a Bind-n-Fly (BNF) system so you can use multiple aircraft on one high end controller, and so apparently it is often purchased without the cheaper provided controller. The BNF saves you about $30 *if* you already had the proper radio.

This is a true four channel, with gyro, and some adjustments/settings (swash plate, dual proportional stick) that supposedly will make it easier for a rookie like me to learn, then to step up performance as I get more proficient.

It appears to be popular, supposedly flies stable, and has a huge availability of parts, and is discussed a lot on the forums, so should be able to get assistance/advice if I need it.

Unfortunately with the holidays and weather, it is not due in until Jan 5., a week from now.

I'll weigh in when it comes.

Discussion thread on mCX2:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post14747049

Discussion thread on Syma107 - more info than you can shake a stick at!:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176146
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Just be careful -- it appears the S032 suffers much the same issues as the S031, and unless you really 'need' a big heli, then the S107 is the far preferred way to go:

RC Groups - View Single Post - Syma s107 Helicopter
S-107
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

S-107

I picked up this model (S-107) from Amazon and it's good and great fun. paid $36 with shipping..and I noticed that Amazon ships it from this company and is only $29 free shipping and the blades are $4 and free shipping so you can buy direct for cheaper it looks like

http://http://www.xheli.com/newsy3chs1mi1.html
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

sorry the link was broken..here it is

The New Syma 3 Channel S107 Mini Indoor Co-Axial Metal RC Helicopter & Built-in Gyroscope (Red)
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #33

i bought more of those phantom 6010's for friends and family for christmas...we've been having a blast at our 2500 sf warehouse with 16 ft ceilings! one guy attached fishing line and a hook and we've been 'hooking' different small objects as a contest. keeps our minds fresh when we get tired of working hahaha
Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

On my 2nd S107. The first, from Amazon tuned out to be a piece of junk.

And a cheap copy of the true S107 to boot. The controller had a solder blob across the left/right control terminals. Initially it would only go back and forth in random fashion. Once I removed the solder blob, had somewhat better control.

Further checking showed that it was really a used unit. The rotor drive gears were touching on their faces, the gear hubs were partially melted, clearly an indication of high heat.

The faces of gears rubbing burning up a lot of energy as result of friction in the wrong places. Max time before battery shutdown about a minute and a half. Shortly the lower rotor's motor fried. It now sits in a bowl, mostly dis-assembled. Hopefully some parts I can re-use.

Did write a nasty gram to Amazon, and am cancelling any dealings with Amazon in the future. Their response was that they would refund my money. BFD. By the way, since they shipped it, Amazon deleted my review, saying they don't allow review on items they ship. Huh

On to my 2nd unit via Ebay. $10 less than Amazon and the genuine article. With the R5 rev circuit board. Worked like a champ out of the box, after the initial charging of the battery.

Still works fine, about 80 minutes of total flight time so far. Typically do about 4 minutes, the battery will last a lot longer by not making it into auto shutoff. Very controllable, only minor bounce twice.

The cat took some interest initially, now he dives under a chair when the thing is flying. If I land it close to his nose, he'll back up a bit, then he'll sniff it a few times, then just stares at it. With great intensity. No hostile actions as yet.

It is a great fun toy, especially with the teens an' twenties outside, flying it close to the big windows shows the air currents very well by the amount of control inputs needed.

Genuine fun, having flown Huey UH1H and UH1M, a few Jet Rangers Bell 208s IIRC, a Hughes 500, and a Hiller, some 30 years ago with the real pilots keeping close tabs, and hands and feet close to the cyclic, stick and pedals, this is nearly as much fun. Far more forgiving to screwups. Never could con the pilot of a Bulkow to let me at the controls

I can walk away from any crash.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
[snip]
It is a great fun toy, especially with the teens an' twenties outside, flying it close to the big windows shows the air currents very well by the amount of control inputs needed.

Genuine fun, having flown Huey UH1H and UH1M, a few Jet Rangers Bell 208s IIRC, a Hughes 500, and a Hiller, some 30 years ago with the real pilots keeping close tabs, and hands and feet close to the cyclic, stick and pedals, this is nearly as much fun. Far more forgiving to screwups. Never could con the pilot of a Bulkow to let me at the controls

I can walk away from any crash.

Looking forward to my own 'micro' coming in, so I can have my own indoor fun!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #36

ls99 - my dog STILL goes nuts when i fly mine. she chases and chases and snips and barks and bites and gets hit and starts all over.

80 minutes of flight time and only 2 bumps? wow. i hit something every minute or so it seems. but mine keeps on goin!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #37

Great information here but now I'm torn as to which one to order. hmmmmmm
Old 12-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Family member has this one. Says it flies well, but the controls are a little sensitive for beginners.
Blade mSR RTF (EFLH3000): E-flite - Advancing Electric Flight
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy View Post
I decided on the Blade mCX2 RTF package for $120.

This is a true four channel, with gyro, and some adjustments/settings (swash plate, dual proportional stick)

I'll weigh in when it comes.
Well, I said I'd weigh in and I will:

As simply and directly as possible: I can't recall ever having bought a product that was as much of a delight, in terms of meeting my expectations as a customer.

The mCX2 is amazing. Somehow they got it perfect - this little palm-sized heli blows my mind. It is completely stable, easy as pie to fly, and does exactly what you tell it to do. It is rugged without being weighty, and just goes and goes. It was perfectly trimmed out of the box, and with the combination of adjustments, let me learn quickly, and then move to the more advanced flight settings. That said, this *is* a coax, so part of what makes it so appealing to buy as a newb, makes it limiting if you really get bit by the bug -- you can't really get yourself into trouble with it, but you also aren't going to be doing advanced acrobatics, either. I've had loads of fun practicing landings on small targets, flying under TV trays, and walking behind it from room to room in the house. I've flown it outside at night, and with no wind, it did fine, but even slight breezes pick it up outdoors, and it is so small it can't fight through them. One challenge I gave myself tonight was to open the patio doors and the front windows as a storm came through, and the wind tunnel effect gusting through the living room allowed a fun game of trying to keep it on heading and hovering in the same spot -- hard to manage, but not too much to recover. I just don't know how they could possibly improve this as a first introduction to R/C helis.

Chapter 2: (heh heh)

I may have made a mistake, but flying the mCX2 has spoiled me so completely, that I went ahead and ordered a more advanced and larger model, a collective pitch (CP) machine by the same maker -- the Blade CP Pro2.

I figured it was a bit bigger, a bit pricer, and would probably be a good stepping stone/ challenge. Unfortunately, as I started doing some belated research (good thinking that, no, looking into it AFTER purchase?) into both the model I selected and CP flying in general... oh boy. I seem to have bitten off a wild ride to come. Aside from the challenge of a true collective chopper versus the coax, this model in particular seems to be difficult to tame, easy to crash, and expensive to fix. Most people don't fault the heli or it's build quality, just that it's design, it's size, and it's flight characteristics combine to make it a bit of a 'widowmaker' for newbs.... oh well, I guess I will go from the plush easy-going Cadillac version to the bucking bronco!

I am going to take the approach outlined in the free lessons here, at Radd's flight school in order to approach it in a methodical disciplined way to hopefully reduce failure and breakage - he claims he can teach flying without crashing; and that's my (new) goal:
RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT?

Of course, if all else fails and I make a mess of the new heli, I have the mCX2 to fall back on!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Family member has this one. Says it flies well, but the controls are a little sensitive for beginners.
Blade mSR RTF (EFLH3000): E-flite - Advancing Electric Flight
Excellent. See that is probably the one I *should* have tried next:

* Same micro size as mCX2, instead of larger CP Pro2
* Fixed pitch rotor instead of collective of CP PRo2
* It can crash without expensive repairs
* No list of hundreds of threads on the RC boards of people selling wrecked ones!

Oh, well!