Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Use Visible Wireless?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone Use Visible Wireless?

Anyone here switched to Visible?

I’m tired of paying Verizon $89/mo for a 4GB plan. DW is obsessed concerned with poor coverage so she’s adamant we need the Verizon network. We can get an unlimited plan with Visible, wholey owned by Verizon, on their network for $70/mo. We know there are some performances limitations (Verizon customers are prioritized when towers are busy) and there are no BnM stores or in person tech support - it’s all online. I’m ready to sign up, DW is very concerned about support online only, even though we’ve never needed Verizon stores (after initial purchase) or tech support...

I also see Visible is the Verizon network without roaming, but I’m not sure what that would mean for our use?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

How much data you are really using? DW is also insisting on Verizon network, so she's paying $27 to Page Plus for 3GB of data (and slow data afterwards). https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Two kiddos are happy enough their Tello plans, b/c it's their dime and they chose $8 per month plans: https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans . This is Sprint network though.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
How much data you are really using? DW is also insisting on Verizon network, so she's paying $27 to Page Plus for 3GB of data (and slow data afterwards). https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Two kiddos are happy enough their Tello plans, b/c it's their dime and they chose $8 per month plans: https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans . This is Sprint network though.
We only use 1-2GB together most months. $27/mo for 3G sounds pretty good, but Visible is unlimited data for $35/mo since it would be DW and me together. I assume flanker providers get priority over MVNO's, but who knows?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Funny how different people's data usage is: DW and I share a Ting account with 100MB of data for the both of us

We rarely even use up the 100.....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I switched to Visible last November. It’s been fine so far. I’ve used messaging in the app for support a couple times, for minor things, and got prompt, helpful replies. I haven’t missed a physical store—but I switched this line from Sprint, and always found their stores useless anyway. A couple times early in the lockdown I seemed affected by the lower priority—I couldn’t host a midday conference call without losing participants too often (but I was fine participating in calls at similar times). I tried again last week and it seemed somewhat better, though I dropped the call once.

It’s nice to know your exact bill in advance, and when I switched they were offering unlimited full speed data for the life of the account. I don’t know if that’s still available.
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Funny how different people's data usage is: DW and I share a Ting account with 100MB of data for the both of us

We rarely even use up the 100.....

So true.
DW & I have plans with ZERO data.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:03 PM   #7

Check into Comcast Mobile.
Cost is $15 a month for 1gig, shared with both my wife's and my phone. If we use over 1 gig, it's $12 for each additional gig. If we go with the 3 gig plan, it's $30 a month. Both phones sharing 3 gig for $30 a month total. Unlimited is $45 a month for one phone. All plans are 4G and for $2 a month more, you can get 5G. (Not in my area, but still it's offered)

Now here's the kicker;
I have Comcast/Xfinity triple play; internet, TV, and a landline phone. I get $20 a month credit on my triple play bill because I have Comcast Mobile. Right now I'm on the 3 gig plan at $30 a month. With the $20 credit off my cable bill, it's actual cost is $10 a month. That's 2 phones sharing 3 gig at 4G for an out-of-pocket $10 a month.

Did I mention they are on the Verizon network? They are. And they piggyback onto any Comcast wifi within range, saving the cell data use.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Check into Comcast Mobile.
Cost is $15 a month for 1gig, shared with both my wife's and my phone. If we use over 1 gig, it's $12 for each additional gig. If we go with the 3 gig plan, it's $30 a month. Both phones sharing 3 gig for $30 a month total. Unlimited is $45 a month for one phone. All plans are 4G and for $2 a month more, you can get 5G. (Not in my area, but still it's offered)

Now here's the kicker;
I have Comcast/Xfinity triple play; internet, TV, and a landline phone. I get $20 a month credit on my triple play bill because I have Comcast Mobile. Right now I'm on the 3 gig plan at $30 a month. With the $20 credit off my cable bill, it's actual cost is $10 a month. That's 2 phones sharing 3 gig at 4G for an out-of-pocket $10 a month.

Did I mention they are on the Verizon network? They are. And they piggyback onto any Comcast wifi within range, saving the cell data use.
As I understand it, we can’t sign up for XFinity Mobile unless we have XFinity Internet - and they’re not even available here even though we’re in a large metro area.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As I understand it, we can’t sign up for XFinity Mobile unless we have XFinity Internet - and they’re not even available here even though we’re in a large metro area.

I didn't know that! You are right; must be an Xfinity customer to sign up for Xfinity mobile. I guess I get it; they really push as much data onto their wifi if at all possible, using the cellular signaling only when an xfinity wifi is not in range.

Too bad you can't get it in your area. Another benefit is that there is no contract. You can cancel any time. Also unlimited call or text. (Data is separated from call/text) You can either bring your phone over to their service or buy one of theirs. DW and I bought Motorola G7 phones for $115 each on sale from Xfinity Mobile when we signed up. Zero interest, payment is $10 a month for a year.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

Happy wife, happy life. There's your answer.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote