Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No. Your phone and provider have to support it and you have to turn in the feature. My phone shows WiFi next to the carrier name when itís on.
Thanks audreyh1 >>
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Well, that’s very unfortunate. How old are the phones?

Apple sells AT&T iPhones. I’m sure those must be supported.
Old enough. We weren't interested (or needed) the latest and greatest, so we purchased a couple of Samsung Galaxy S5 Actives last year. Pretty nice device for a first smartphone, although it won't upgrade past Android 6.0.1 (or at least AT&T won't supply the latest Android security patches to it).

When your primary uses for a smartphone is texting, phone calls, and the occasional navigation lookup, having a $1,000 device seems like a waste.

Have been notified this issue is being escalated, primarily because our cell reception at the house we're renting is brutal. And we're expected to be here for at least 5 more months.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Old enough. We weren't interested (or needed) the latest and greatest, so we purchased a couple of Samsung Galaxy S5 Actives last year. Pretty nice device for a first smartphone, although it won't upgrade past Android 6.0.1 (or at least AT&T won't supply the latest Android security patches to it).

When your primary uses for a smartphone is texting, phone calls, and the occasional navigation lookup, having a $1,000 device seems like a waste.

Have been notified this issue is being escalated, primarily because our cell reception at the house we're renting is brutal. And we're expected to be here for at least 5 more months.
Plenty of phones way under $1000 support WiFi calling.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Look into getting a MicroCell. https://www.att.com/att/microcell/ It will cost you, although you might get ATT to reimburse you. It doesn't require WiFi calling and works very well. We have had one at our summer home for years, and used it before we had phones capable of WiFi calling.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
Look into getting a MicroCell. https://www.att.com/att/microcell/ It will cost you, although you might get ATT to reimburse you. It doesn't require WiFi calling and works very well. We have had one at our summer home for years, and used it before we had phones capable of WiFi calling.
We'll see what AT&T does with their "escalated issue". They claim a response will happen within 48 hours. We might mention this if they are unsuccessful, particularly since we're on their AT&T Uverse and Internet service (housing track is exclusively AT&T).

Also (from the above link): "AT&T has discontinued sales of new AT&T MicroCells. You can use Wi-Fi Calling to talk and text over an active Wi-Fi connection where it’s hard for a strong cellular signal to reach." Sort of spiraled back to the original idea.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #26

If you are technically inclined, checkout voip provider: callcentric.com and and a VOIP/SIP app for the phone such as csipsimple. By doing this, you may be able to roll your own 'wi-fi' calling feature.

We use this to talk to each other when one of us is out of the country, but wifi is available.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Plenty of phones way under $1000 support WiFi calling.
I bought a Moto X4 for about $260 on Amazon last March. I wanted to try out "Google Fi."

The idea is, it'll switch seamlessly between cell and WiFi as needed for calls. Basically it integrates Google's VOIP with regular cell calling. It also uses multiple cell carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile, both of which have a good signal in our area, along with US Cellular, which covers a few pockets up North where no-one else does.

The experiment has gone much better than expected. As far as I can tell, it almost always uses the cell coverage, and either I don't notice or the WiFi (VOIP) option rarely kicks in. But it does work, because I've turned off the cell service and made calls just over WiFi. And I'm paying about half what I was with StraightTalk over AT&T's network only.

One thing I found really cool: Some airlines now offer free WiFi on the plane. I was surprised that I started receiving text messages in "airplane" mode with only WiFi enabled and connected to the plane's service. Presumably, had someone called me, the call would have gone through.

I'm not really looking forward to the day everyone is talking on their phones on the plane, but it's sort of cool that I have that option. The $260 phone, by the way, has done everything I've needed, including some pretty intensive navigation software. You'll never see me paying $1K for a phone!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I bought a Moto X4 for about $260 on Amazon last March.
Amazon currently has the Moto X4 priced at $180 for Prime customers: https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Gene...d%2Bphone&th=1

Just bought one for DW.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We'll see what AT&T does with their "escalated issue". They claim a response will happen within 48 hours. We might mention this if they are unsuccessful, particularly since we're on their AT&T Uverse and Internet service (housing track is exclusively AT&T).

Also (from the above link): "AT&T has discontinued sales of new AT&T MicroCells. You can use Wi-Fi Calling to talk and text over an active Wi-Fi connection where it’s hard for a strong cellular signal to reach." Sort of spiraled back to the original idea.
Looks like AT&T has a limited number of phones that support wifi calling over their network. Couldn't find a definitive list, but I suspect this list from Cricket (an AT&T MVNO) may show the only phones that will work: https://www.cricketwireless.com/cont...le-phones.html

Note that the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active is not included.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Search around a place like Howrdsforums - there might be something in your Cellular Network Settings / Access Point Names that needs to be set.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Just moved to an area with brutal cell strength. Almost non-existent. Will be in the middle of a call, and the other person will say they can't understand what we're saying. This assumes the call doesn't drop out completely, which is often. Drive a mile or two closer to civilization, and all is good.

We have cell phones that are capable of Wi-Fi Calling, and AT&T supports them. Yet, I can't get the feature to activate. Already talked with AT&T twice, with no solution. What am I missing here?
Our town has one cellphone tower, the first thing I did when moving here, was I investigated who owned that tower, and I signed a cellphone contract with that company.

Towns to our East and West do not have any cell towers, so no signal. The majority of towns in our state lack cell towers.

When our adult children come to visit, they bring their cellphones, which are not compatible with our cellphone carrier. So their cellphones can only work when they can get a wifi signal. Inside our home, they can get the wifi from my router. But once they go outside their cellphones lose signal.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #32

Quote:
I doubt this is your issue, because it almost certainly would've come up on the customer service calls you'd had with AT&T, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Wi-Fi calling does not work with AT&T prepaid accounts. They only enable this for phones on their "regular", higher-priced, postpaid accounts. Same thing is true of certain other nice-to-have features, like international data roaming. Prepaid is a lot cheaper but is also hobbled in some annoying ways.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

AT&T has a "micro-tower" you can put in your home. It hooks to the Internet but it looks like regular cell service to your cell phone so you both make calls and receive calls to your regular cell # as well as text. It has an approved # list so you can add guests to it so their cell phones work in your house also. Its range is about 100'. Costs $50 or so but is well worth it. We have had it for 4 years and are really glad we got it.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
AT&T has a "micro-tower" you can put in your home. It hooks to the Internet but it looks like regular cell service to your cell phone so you both make calls and receive calls to your regular cell # as well as text. It has an approved # list so you can add guests to it so their cell phones work in your house also. Its range is about 100'. Costs $50 or so but is well worth it. We have had it for 4 years and are really glad we got it.
That is cool for inside [or near] your home.

What about when you drive into town though?

Signal won't reach that far.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post

When you are in town your cell phone will use whatever cell tower is there, as it always does.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post

For us, not a problem. Once we drive toward just about anywhere we need to go (retail, services, etc.), the cell phone reception isn't an issue. This is a fairly new area of housing that is being built up quickly. I suspect in the next year or so additional cell towers will be placed closer to these housing communities.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
When you are in town your cell phone will use whatever cell tower is there, as it always does.
Sorry, of course you are correct.

I was still thinking of our sons, when they come to this state to visit, they carry T-mobile cellphones that are not compatible with our local cellphone company [Verizon].

I carry a cellphone that is through our local carrier [Verizon] so I have no problems other than so much of this state that lacks towers.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #38

We use our WI Fi connection all the time , works great till DW calls and I am in the middle of a project or scam calls.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I bought a Moto X4 for about $260 on Amazon last March. I wanted to try out "Google Fi."

The idea is, it'll switch seamlessly between cell and WiFi as needed for calls. Basically it integrates Google's VOIP with regular cell calling. It also uses multiple cell carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile, both of which have a good signal in our area, along with US Cellular, which covers a few pockets up North where no-one else does.

The experiment has gone much better than expected. As far as I can tell, it almost always uses the cell coverage, and either I don't notice or the WiFi (VOIP) option rarely kicks in. But it does work, because I've turned off the cell service and made calls just over WiFi. And I'm paying about half what I was with StraightTalk over AT&T's network only.

One thing I found really cool: Some airlines now offer free WiFi on the plane. I was surprised that I started receiving text messages in "airplane" mode with only WiFi enabled and connected to the plane's service. Presumably, had someone called me, the call would have gone through.

I'm not really looking forward to the day everyone is talking on their phones on the plane, but it's sort of cool that I have that option. The $260 phone, by the way, has done everything I've needed, including some pretty intensive navigation software. You'll never see me paying $1K for a phone!

Another Google fi fan here. Have been using their reasonably-priced phone and usage-based plan for a bit over three years and the typical bill is under $30.00 month. WiFi calling works great. The plans also apply in 170 covered countries so great for those that travel internationally.
Zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #40

Ditto for hangouts. Where we were in Europe airbnb owners tend to use WhatsApp.
MrsHaloFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote