Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Another thing I tried with success over the weekend was using VNC (virtual network computing) to connect/control my home desktop computer from the Chromebook. ...
Q. Is there anything simple for going the other way - controlling a remote Chromebook from another computer?

When I first looked, it seems this was not supported. Maybe it is now? I've thought about suggesting Chromebooks for some people I know with limited computer skills, but remote access is a requirement for me.

I use Teamviewer now, it's free, works great and is very simple to set up. When I was using the VNC software, it seemed I had to do some futzing with the routers, and/or assign static IP addresses to the remote computers or I could not count on finding them. But (from what I understand, I may have this wrong), the TeamViewer servers (or other providers of these services), are the go-between, so IPs are not an issue, each computer just hits the TeamViewer servers, same as any other web address.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Q. Is there anything simple for going the other way - controlling a remote Chromebook from another computer?

When I first looked, it seems this was not supported. Maybe it is now? I've thought about suggesting Chromebooks for some people I know with limited computer skills, but remote access is a requirement for me.

I don't know if getting a Chromebook on the server side is possible, but I've never actually wanted to. There's little by way of internal storage (vs. on "the cloud"), and things like Sheets/Docs are accessible through the web.

My Chromebook is powered off most of the time until I order it to snap to attention.

You do have to have basic understanding of things like firewalls and ports (especially if you've got a router in between your home network and the Internet).

I suppose it would be helpful to allow remote support for someone having trouble with a Chromebook, I just don't know in general.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I looked at buying a chromebook to replace my notebook, but two requirements (while away from home) couldn't be met. I also have a desktop at home.

- I use quicken & chromebook cannot handle that.
- I use lightroom to process photographs as I take them & I couldnt' find a good online service that handles RAW files.
And now, I learn that it doesn't handle Skype either.

I bought myself an ultrabook that boots in seconds, has a full HD 13" touch screen, runs for hours and weighs just a tad over 3lbs. I got the Asus UX303LA, but there are many others in the same price range.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Given my lifestyle, I have yet to see what advantages a Chromebook might bring to me as opposed to my present cheap Toshiba laptop.

I hardly travel at all, and if/when I do I have a suitcase-on-wheels with a very convenient compartment for my laptop. Slide it in, and boom! I'm rolling along just as easily as without it.

When I am at home, I almost never want to use my laptop anywhere but in my easy chair (being a creature of habit). On the rare occasion when I do want to surf the web from elsewhere in my house, such as when spending an unusually long time cooking dinner, I can use my iPad.

For some reason, the cloud approach to data storage does not appeal to me at all. I'd rather have my data on my own hard drive controlled by me and backed up by me, and I don't have any reasons not to continue handling data that way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Anyone using a Chromebook?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quicken is one thing I'd have liked to access over the holidays. My copy (and data) were on my desktop in the midwest, my toes were out east.

VNC-type software just reroutes the display and input between the machines, everything stays put on the server (desktop) side. So there would be no "native Quicken" on the Chromebook (or whatever the client machine happens to be) or its data stored in the mysterious cloud.

Graphics-intensive stuff is another matter, though, I wouldn't even try.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we are talking about Chrome Books, I thought someone here might have a solution to my problem with mine. I was using Voice search by saying "Ok google" and it was working fine. Then one day it didn't work anymore. I tried settings and made sure the box was checked for enable Voice search, but it still doesn't work. The Icon on google shows as a not listening mic. Anyone have any insight or suggestions?
chief04010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Another thing I tried with success over the weekend was using VNC (virtual network computing) to connect/control my home desktop computer from the Chromebook.

I used RealVNC, which has a free Chrome viewer app that works well on the Chromebook. The server-side (desktop) software is offered in several versions with the basic (Personal) edition free.

We used RealVNC a lot at work, but there have been a few times since that I'd have liked to be able to get to my home computer while away (like on vacation).

Can you get VNC to work over the Internet, to connect to your computer behind a router?

Are the sessions encrypted?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Given my lifestyle, I have yet to see what advantages a Chromebook might bring to me as opposed to my present cheap Toshiba laptop. ...
Clearly, they aren't for everyone (what is?). But looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-E...ics/2858603011

I see lots of positive reviews. And even the sub $200 unit is decently configured:

Amazon.com : Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111-C670 (11.6-inch HD, 2GB, 16GB) : Computers & Accessories
... Secure Digital (SD) card reader, 802.11AC WiFi featuring MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0, Built-In HD Webcam, 1 - USB 3.0 Port, 1-USB 2.0 Port, 1 - HDMI Port ...
For someone with basic to middling needs, I think these can work well at a very ow price. Some advantages are almost no worries of malware, the OS is constantly updated for you. Seem to be good for people who don't want to futz with a computer.

Quote:
For some reason, the cloud approach to data storage does not appeal to me at all. I'd rather have my data on my own hard drive controlled by me and backed up by me, and I don't have any reasons not to continue handling data that way.
You can save anything you want to SD card or internal (limited GBs) memory, and/or an external USB drive. No different from any other computer in that regard (other than maybe backing up the OS, but that shouldn't be needed). You are not limited to the cloud.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Can you get VNC to work over the Internet, to connect to your computer behind a router?

Are the sessions encrypted?

Yes, you can. That's where a little knowledge comes in handy.

I first set it up only to go on the network "behind" the router, not "through" to the Internet. For the latter, you have to have the router allow/pass through connections from outside.

Encryption of various strengths are available, depending on what software you choose (in my case, RealVNC).

It works with my iTouch also, but you look at it and say, "wow, that's amazing - but with such a small display, who gives a rat's butt?".

That last sentence modified to help keep The Mod Squad blood pressure low

Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I had some hassles setting up VNC access over the Internet so I just installed Chrome Remote Desktop and the iPad app works okay. Good for light work, not for input-intensive operations.

The Chrome Pixel is a nice looking machine. Shame you can't use something like Lightroom on it for your photos.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief04010 View Post
Since we are talking about Chrome Books, I thought someone here might have a solution to my problem with mine. I was using Voice search by saying "Ok google" and it was working fine. Then one day it didn't work anymore. I tried settings and made sure the box was checked for enable Voice search, but it still doesn't work. The Icon on google shows as a not listening mic. Anyone have any insight or suggestions?
Go to Settings -> show advanced settings scroll down to privacy and check the OK Google box.

I don't have a CB, but is there a way to toggle it off through the keyboard? You may have done something like that.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #52

Looked forward to my chance to use a Chromebook for a couple weeks while on vacation recently. Generally like tech gadgets so thought this would spur me to finally grab one. But my experience was......meh. Surprised by less than stellar reliability I was expecting from reports. Ave 2-3 freezes/reboots daily- worse than my old i3 Win laptop (not to mention my bulletproof MacBook Pro- albeit that's another price range). Still not fully compatible with some web sites. Spreadsheets is OK for simple stuff but lacks robust functionality of Excel. Picture/video editing capabilities are, as has been said, limited. Offline work capability is, as for any thin client, also limited. That can be a real PITA if you are working on the go and move beyond WiFi (or 4G) range unexpectedly. I'll leave the tethering to one company/cloud up for philosophical debate.

I understand the appeal for some folks, especially when CB's were vastly cheaper than entry level Windows laptops. But for now CB just does not fit my needs.

BTW- While CB is less vulnerable to hacks/malware, many feel it is not impervious to all security attacks.
Chrome OS has security flaws, claims researcher - CNET
And Chrome has been (apparently) hacked by researchers.
Google Chrome hacked with sophisticated exploit | ZDNet
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Looked forward to my chance to use a Chromebook for a couple weeks while on vacation recently. Generally like tech gadgets so thought this would spur me to finally grab one. But my experience was......meh. Surprised by less than stellar reliability I was expecting from reports. Ave 2-3 freezes/reboots daily- worse than my old i3 Win laptop...
Interesting. Is it possible you may have been using a lemon?

I gave DW a new Samsung Chromebook for her birthday earlier this month. She absolutely loves it and has had only one minor glitch (couldn't find our wireless network - rebooting fixed it) after 3+ weeks and many hours of use.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

That's good about the birthday present!

The Chromebook fits nicely in my own gadget lineup as I know what its place is and don't expect to load it up with a lot of extra stuff that's better suited for a full-featured computer. It's not and that's OK.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
....Is it possible you may have been using a lemon?....
Would have been 2 CB's "lemons", and both set up by guy who w#rks IT for a living (with graduate degree). Guess it could have been a network issue, although other netbook/laptops worked fine. Also could have been ext/add-ons common to those CB's and not the OS itself. I did not Powerwash someone else's CBs. As I said, I was surprised with the repeated freezes since most CB users seem happy with their units.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Would have been 2 CB's "lemons", and both set up by guy who w#rks IT for a living (with graduate degree). Guess it could have been a network issue, although other netbook/laptops worked fine. Also could have been ext/add-ons common to those CB's and not the OS itself. I did not Powerwash someone else's CBs. As I said, I was surprised with the repeated freezes since most CB users seem happy with their units.
Some CB's are very underpowered (weak CPU, little RAM, etc), so that could have been an issue.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Looks like we will be seeing $150 Chromebooks from Google.

How good they are remains to be seen.

http://www.amazon.com/Haier-Chromebo...rds=chromebook

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Looks like we will be seeing $150 Chromebooks from Google.

How good they are remains to be seen.
+1

Here's a review of another soon-to-be-released $150 Chromebook. Nothing special but looks to be very adequate at the price: Hands on: The $149 Hisense Chromebook succeeds at being incredibly affordable | PCWorld

I also think the rollout of Android apps to Chromebooks will make the product more popular: Google's App Runtime for Chrome to bring native Android apps to Chromebooks | PCWorld
Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Those are good prices. I still have my Samsung under the "if it ain't broke..." attitude. I think it was $249 at Best Buy in 2013. It was literally an impulse buy. Soon they may qualify as kiddie-party favors!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #60

I bought a "reconditioned" one on Woot a few months ago for ~$99. I use it as an iPad in the evenings when watching TV. Can't just do one or the other, now can we?
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote