Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Watching Ice Road Truckers or Chasing Mummies?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone Watching Ice Road Truckers or Chasing Mummies?

Both on the History Channel. IRT is in it's 4th year or so.

Chasing Mummies is a new show this year. It has a film crew following around the Dr. of Antiquities in Egypt, and a new bunch of research fellowes.

From Chasing Mummies:

Zoe: Dr. Hawass... I'm so sorry!
Dr H: Zoe, what have you done?
Zoe: I'm so soooo sorry Dr H!!!
Dr: Zoe, what---have---you---DONE?
Zoe: ... I... I... pee'd under the Great Pyramid!
Dr H: What--you--have--done--is--very--very--BAD! It is a SACRILEGE!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #2

I have watched IRT since its first season
it was more fun when the trucks could actually (potentially) fall thru ice.

The novelty of the show kind of wore off- I still watch it, but the first season was the best of the 4.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
I have watched IRT since its first season
it was more fun when the trucks could actually (potentially) fall thru ice.

The novelty of the show kind of wore off- I still watch it, but the first season was the best of the 4.
In my opinion it should have been a one-season show. Now much of the drama is contrived and over hyped. The producers are struggling to keep the show interesting and haven't succeeded. I gave up watching last year.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still watching IRT, but its not as entertaining as Swamp People
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am still trying to figure out what IRT has to do with History. It's a shame, really, when the History Channel has so many wonderful episodes that actually have something to do with history, that they could re-run.

Seems like every time I look at the History Channel, they are showing IRT or American Pickers or paid programming.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In my opinion it should have been a one-season show. Now much of the drama is contrived and over hyped. The producers are struggling to keep the show interesting and haven't succeeded. I gave up watching last year.
Agreed on all counts. I really enjoyed the first year, tolerated the second year, stopped part way through last year.....
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #7

I agree with the comments on IRT. I expect this to be the last season of it. The hype before every commercial about what is going to happen after the commercial break is ridiculous. But I still like seeing Alex, with his good-natured approach to life and it's problems (and with 11 kids to feed!). And I still have hope for the big jerk, the "Polar Bear", to finally get his comeuppance.

All the while realizing that the show's producer chooses who they follow, so the people featured are chosen for certain characteristics that they feel will "$ make a good show $".

Chasing Mummies has some of those same "choosing" characteristics, but the history is certainly there. I have enjoyed seeing all the tombs opened for the first time, the sarcophagus lids being swept off and pried open, the tomb paintings, etc.

I have seen Dr. Zahi Hawass on other Egypt programs. The mercurial nature of the guy and his pomposity is incredible, but he also has an incredible passion for his work and has broken much new ground. His theory that the builders of the Great Pyramids were workers, not slaves, is unique, and I find it believable with the discoveries he has found that support it. So in a way, beyond the trial and tribulations (many major) of driving across the desert for a day and having the lone vehicle conk out with no communication possible, falling down shafts, crawling through tight spaces where no one has gone for 4,500 years, etc., there is a lot to see.

Also the realization (mine) that the civilization that lives there today, can't really be related to the ancient Egyptians, can they? Sure doesn't seem likely!

I think the oddest duck of them all is the producer of Chasing Mummies! It's like a space ship dropped him right out of New York City. The whining and complaining of the show's producer. He's so disheveled and such a schmuck. Must have lived a pampered, and very slobby life so far. The rigors and sudden situations of the show are starting to whip him into shape. Like when the Jeep quits out in the desert. "what do we do, what do we do? " "We walk" "What? walk? you can't be serious!?" "We walk, or we die" "We can't walk across a desert!" "we walk". And walk they did.
It really stressed the producer. I had the feeling that the buzzards got the word out quick "hey, there's a fat slobby schmuck foreigner that's come for dinner... we like exotic food!"
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
It really stressed the producer. I had the feeling that the buzzards got the word out quick "hey, there's a fat slobby schmuck foreigner that's come for dinner... we like exotic food!"
Haven't you seen the signs

"tourists- the other white meat"
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #9

Anyone wanting to Chase Mummies with me, tune in tonight on the History Channel @ 10 Eastern/9 Central or @ 25:30 in Mumbai.

Stay far enough back from the screen, wash your hands afterwards, you shouldn't pick up any diseases or curses.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #10

I haven't seen the Mummies show as of yet. The IRT doesn't do a thing for me, I'd rather watch water boil.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #11

Liked 1st season IRT, I have driven to Inuvik (in the summer) and seen the routes of the IR in the area. Wonderful terrain.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
The IRT doesn't do a thing for me, I'd rather watch water boil.
+1 Watching water boil is a lot more interesting than IRT, and so is watching paint dry. Life is too short for me to spend much of it watching IRT.

I think it is fascinating that others here are interested in IRT. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm glad that somebody likes it (since I don't, really).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote